No more 4G

zentenn

Mar 24, 2011
forums.delphiforums.com
Ever since the last update I have lost 4G all together and the device is in and out of 3G all day long. Most of the time when I pick it up it has no connection at all, not even 1x

Any ideas? This is a stock device.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the last update I have lost 4G all together and the device is in and out of 3G all day long. Most of the time when I pick it up it has no connection at all, not even 1x

Any ideas? This is a stock device.

Move on up to Maine. We don't have 4G, and the coverage for all carriers is a little spotty, so you'll fit right in.

Plus, we have lobster.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Move on up to Maine. We don't have 4G, and the coverage for all carriers is a little spotty, so you'll fit right in.

Plus, we have lobster.

That's the one thing I miss about living in New Hamsphire. My wife and I would drive an hour to Portland and I'd get lobster at DeMillo's. I even had deep fried lobster tails there the last weekend my wife and I were in New England.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Pull battery and SIM card and leave out for five minutes. This discharges all power to the device and SIM card and will force the phone to reprovison itself on the network when powered back up.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Now for a more serious response.

I had some problems on the first Gingerbread OTA. A lot of them seemed to be resolved by simply pulling the battery and SIM card and leaving them out of the phone for 5-10 minutes.

Some other things to try:

- There is some mention on some other threads about a number to call to change your signalling around. This is not the LTE On/Off thing, it's something different, and it negatively affects the new radios. Frank had placed an "undo" around here somewhere. If you've had your phone for a while and might have done that, it'w worth checking out.

- Under Menu / Settings / Wireless and Networks / Mobile Network, there are a few toggles you can try. I'm in a 3G area, so my settings might not be useful, but here's what I've got:
- Data Roaming: "Deny Data Roaming Access"
- Network Mode: LTE/CDMA (this setting, by the way, seems to replace "LTE On/Off", which I have uninstalled.
(note that changing this setting and changing it back might possibly "reset" something with your radios - it may be worth a shot at least)
- Enable Always-on Mobile Data: I have this un-checked. Play with it and see if either setting helps out at all.

If all else fails, you may have a bad SIM. Get thee to a local Verizon store or call Customer Support and ask for a new SIM card. My understanding is that Verizon hands those out like candy on Halloween if you ask nicely, and I've heard a few people on this forum say that an upgrade to their phone somehow messed up their SIM card and a simple SIM swap took care of the problem.

If you've tried all that, then, well, the Thunderbolt is still by definition under warranty. No 4G connectivity on a 4G phone smells like a warranty issue. You can play refurb roulette and see if another device works better.

zentenn

Mar 24, 2011
forums.delphiforums.com
Now for a more serious response.

I had some problems on the first Gingerbread OTA. A lot of them seemed to be resolved by simply pulling the battery and SIM card and leaving them out of the phone for 5-10 minutes.

Some other things to try:

- There is some mention on some other threads about a number to call to change your signalling around. This is not the LTE On/Off thing, it's something different, and it negatively affects the new radios. Frank had placed an "undo" around here somewhere. If you've had your phone for a while and might have done that, it'w worth checking out.

- Under Menu / Settings / Wireless and Networks / Mobile Network, there are a few toggles you can try. I'm in a 3G area, so my settings might not be useful, but here's what I've got:
- Data Roaming: "Deny Data Roaming Access"
- Network Mode: LTE/CDMA (this setting, by the way, seems to replace "LTE On/Off", which I have uninstalled.
(note that changing this setting and changing it back might possibly "reset" something with your radios - it may be worth a shot at least)
- Enable Always-on Mobile Data: I have this un-checked. Play with it and see if either setting helps out at all.

If all else fails, you may have a bad SIM. Get thee to a local Verizon store or call Customer Support and ask for a new SIM card. My understanding is that Verizon hands those out like candy on Halloween if you ask nicely, and I've heard a few people on this forum say that an upgrade to their phone somehow messed up their SIM card and a simple SIM swap took care of the problem.

If you've tried all that, then, well, the Thunderbolt is still by definition under warranty. No 4G connectivity on a 4G phone smells like a warranty issue. You can play refurb roulette and see if another device works better.

Excellent info, thanks.

Lobster rules!

Edit: I did the sim and battery pull with no improvments. It looks like I'll be heading to the V store for a fix.

Last edited:

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Excellent info, thanks.

Lobster rules!

Edit: I did the sim and battery pull with no improvments. It looks like I'll be heading to the V store for a fix.

Try flashing to another radio. I have Mr2, Mr2.5 and Mr3 in my SD card and if something is acting up, I flash to a different one. I think I am running 3 now....I don't know!....then again, I live in the San Francisco bay area...so, I don't know!

.....I hate lobster....but we have CRABS....LOLOLOLOL

zentenn

Mar 24, 2011
forums.delphiforums.com
Try flashing to another radio. I have Mr2, Mr2.5 and Mr3 in my SD card and if something is acting up, I flash to a different one. I think I am running 3 now....I don't know!....then again, I live in the San Francisco bay area...so, I don't know!

.....I hate lobster....but we have CRABS....LOLOLOLOL

Well...that sounds like an idea, but I have ho idea how to do that. Don't you have to be rooted to do that?

zentenn

Mar 24, 2011
forums.delphiforums.com
I went to the V store today and they couldn't get the device to receive 4G. So now they're sending me a refurbished one. I hope it's in good shape.

Sent via Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12