1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Got PRL 15075

I just saw today that my phone has PRL 15075,where it previously had 15044. The interesting thing is that the change didn't involve a reboot. I even checked my uptime to be sure. I was under the impression that PRL updates on the Bolt only take effect after a reboot.

Also, does anyone know what has been changed in this PRL?

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Default Re: Got PRL 15075

Mine was at 15044 now is 15061, didn't check till I saw your post, no reboot either......Strange?

15027 is mine

And the Thunder rolls!
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Mine remains at 15027 after a *228 update and a reboot.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mman609 View Post
    Mine remains at 15027 after a *228 update and a reboot.
    Mine is also 15027.

Also, don't do *228. It will not work on 4G devices and has the potential to damage your SIM.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

15061 here..

Global Posts
    11,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Have had 15061 on my phone for at least a month.

Sent using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Mine is also 15027.

Also, don't do *228. It will not work on 4G devices and has the potential to damage your SIM.

-Frank
    Good to know. I just followed the directions on VZW web site. What is the mechanism of damage to the SIM from a *228?

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the PRL mean and what's it for? Mine is 061, by the way.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Z View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what does the PRL mean and what's it for? Mine is 061, by the way.
    Priority Roaming List. Normally only useful if you are in a non-VZW native area. Higher isn't necessarily better. Depends on your location, plan and carrier history (i.e. came from Alltel).

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

I also noticed this new PRL a few days ago.

To my knowledge, none of my PRL updates have involved a reboot. There is also no need to pull your battery and / or SIM card to update the PRL as some have stated.

To those who don't have it:

You will get the update when you get it... I honestly have no idea what the criteria is for updating the PRL on a LTE device... not sure if they do a push every certain number of days or if it is random, but it is fully automatic.

Most of the times, PRL updates are meaningless unless VZW is doing work in your area (especially after they buy another carrier) or if they change roaming partners in an area that you use your phone in (not that many left now that VZW bought Alltel).
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Would a new PRL be needed when LTE is turned on in a new market? I'm hoping Tuscaloosa is coming online soon.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by ALCingularUser View Post
    Would a new PRL be needed when LTE is turned on in a new market? I'm hoping Tuscaloosa is coming online soon.
    No. PRLs are for roaming areas.

-Frank

I just saw today that my phone has PRL 15075,where it previously had 15044. The interesting thing is that the change didn't involve a reboot. I even checked my uptime to be sure. I was under the impression that PRL updates on the Bolt only take effect after a reboot.

Also, does anyone know what has been changed in this PRL?
    Yeah mine went to 15075 as well, could be East Coast thing!l Also proper programming code is *2289 or *22899, been a while since geting a new similar card.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by acmxenon View Post
    Yeah mine went to 15075 as well, could be East Coast thing!l Also proper programming code is *2289 or *22899, been a while since geting a new similar card.
    To my knowledge, there is no programming code for 4G devices. LTE devices auto-program themselves during every normal restart. Additionally, we have been advised that occasionally, doing a *228 can corrupt your SIM and require a replacemt SIM. Apparently this was not an uncommon issue on March 17th when the phone was released. The sales reps at the stores didn't know about this either and damaged a few SIMs trying to do a *228.

-Frank
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

-Frank

I thought they also helped the phone find any new SID's VZW might bring online.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

I thought they also helped the phone find any new SID's VZW might bring online.
    Not to my knowledge. Your phone should find any new VZW towers without issue.

Maybe we have a PRL expert in here that can explain PRLs???

-Frank

Last edited by FrankXS; 11-07-2011 at 09:04 PM.

-Frank

Actually it is more of a CDMA (cdmaOne/1x/EV-DO) thing. PRLs are used for native and roaming CDMA coverage. The PRL tells the phones what system IDs to scan for (and on what channels they should be found). They are organized geographically and have a priority for the networks. VZW will always be top priority where native coverage is available, then partners like US Cellular might be in the list as lower priorities.

The PRL marks the system ID as home or roaming, and this combined with the ERI controls the network banner on the phone (Verizon Wireless/Extended Network/Roaming). The PRL also controls the roam indicator (small triangle, only seen while roaming out of the country unless you are on an old plan that still has domestic roaming areas).

There isn't a lot of public documentation that I have found on how LTE networks are handled, but I would guess it is handled like GSM where it is a simple priority list and carriers use the same mobile network code nationwide instead of hundreds of unique system IDs. It really doesn't matter now since LTE roaming isn't working yet, and until phones start shipping with support for LTE on different frequency bands, it won't be possible. It will happen, just not now.

To my knowledge, there is no programming code for 4G devices. LTE devices auto-program themselves during every normal restart. Additionally, we have been advised that occasionally, doing a *228 can corrupt your SIM and require a replacemt SIM. Apparently this was not an uncommon issue on March 17th when the phone was released. The sales reps at the stores didn't know about this either and damaged a few SIMs trying to do a *228.

-Frank
    Frank when a few of us over @ xda was having 4G problems back at the end of July/August, my card went bad. Went to see my friend at the corprate store for another sim replacement, got it, put in for me and told me to touch the screen.

When the powered up it auto dials in using a programming code, and guess what the auto dial code is? "*22899". Ever get a sim card replaced and watch the sales person be no hurry to hand your phone back to you, this is why I believe!

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by acmxenon View Post
    Frank when a few of us over @ xda was having 4G problems back at the end of July/August, my card went bad. Went to see my friend at the corprate store for another sim replacement, got it, put in for me and told me to touch the screen.

When the powered up it auto dials in using a programming code, and guess what the auto dial code is? "*22899". Ever get a sim card replaced and watch the sales person be no hurry to hand your phone back to you, this is why I believe!
    The key word here is probably "auto dial". Meant to be a one time auto initialization of the SIM. Odds are it's subsequent manual attempts that could potentially be dangerous.

-Frank

I've been on the same 15008 PRL since I first got the phone... no auto updates here. I'm in NYC.