Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google VoiceMail Question

I have two phones on two different carriers. I have had Google Voice for my T-Mobile account forever. Can I ad my Thunderbolt to my same Google Voice account sharing the same GV number. I only use it just for my Visual Voice Mail.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.9

Default Re: Google VoiceMail Question

I believe all you would have to do is log in to Google voice on your thunderbolt and that would do it.

I keep getting a message from the google voice app telling me that my carrier doesn't support it. Is there a workaround for this?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

go to settings--->call--->voicemail service.

and of course have the google voice app installed.
    Thanked by:
    ggrr8t 

are you supposed to be able to view your voicemail in text form with Google Voice? I have installed and uninstalled many times but never have had it able to work for me. Do they have to dial your google number or should it work with the verizon cell number? so confused

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by P I T A View Post
    I keep getting a message from the google voice app telling me that my carrier doesn't support it. Is there a workaround for this?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    From your PC,
    1. Go into GOOGLE VOICE (http://www.google.com/voice)

2. Click the "gear" looking icon to the upper right

3. Pick "Voice Settings"

4. You will see your Google Voice number and then you will see your mobile number below that.

5. Don't check your mobile number box

6. Click the boxes for "Receive" and "Notify"

That is it....that is how mine is set up and it works perfect!
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by defcon999 View Post
    From your PC,
    1. Go into GOOGLE VOICE (http://www.google.com/voice)

2. Click the "gear" looking icon to the upper right

3. Pick "Voice Settings"

4. You will see your Google Voice number and then you will see your mobile number below that.

5. Don't check your mobile number box

6. Click the boxes for "Receive" and "Notify"

That is it....that is how mine is set up and it works perfect!
    When I get to step 5, the only checkable box says, " Notify me of new voicemails via text." and there are NO boxes for "Receive" and Notify"

Also, when I click on "Get a Google Voice Number" and then click on "I want to use my mobile number" I type in my mobile number in the box, then 'check for available options', this is the message I get: "Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
    Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
    - This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting."

Is this why I can not get this to work?

I thought this was a free service, also. If it is, why does it have a section showing how much money is in my 'account'?? What is that about?

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

When I get to step 5, the only checkable box says, " Notify me of new voicemails via text." and there are NO boxes for "Receive" and Notify"

Also, when I click on "Get a Google Voice Number" and then click on "I want to use my mobile number" I type in my mobile number in the box, then 'check for available options', this is the message I get: "Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
    Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
    - This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting."

Is this why I can not get this to work?

I thought this was a free service, also. If it is, why does it have a section showing how much money is in my 'account'?? What is that about?
    This is what my GOOGLE VOICE SETTINGS screen looks like.

Google Voice Help

Look on the sidebar also and there are many WALKTHROUGH'S also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google VoiceMail Question-google_voice.jpg  
    Last edited by defcon999; 11-07-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by defcon999 View Post
    This is what my GOOGLE VOICE SETTINGS screen looks like.

Google Voice Help

Look on the sidebar also and there are many WALKTHROUGH'S also.
    My Google Voice page looks nothing like that. After reading pretty much everything on the Google Voice help pages, I am thinking that unless I am able to port my phone number over, I will not be able to use this.

If I understand correctly, if a friend or family member calls me (using my normal cell phone number), I can't get the transcribed voicemail, or have the voicemail saved to my gmail UNLESS google voice is ported TO my normal cell number. Is this correct?

Bottom line, I do NOT intend nor want to give out a whole different phone number to my friends or family JUST to be able to use Google Voice.

Please tell me there's a way that I am not finding to do what I thought I could.

Global Posts
    886 Global Posts

My Google Voice page looks nothing like that. After reading pretty much everything on the Google Voice help pages, I am thinking that unless I am able to port my phone number over, I will not be able to use this.

If I understand correctly, if a friend or family member calls me (using my normal cell phone number), I can't get the transcribed voicemail, or have the voicemail saved to my gmail UNLESS google voice is ported TO my normal cell number. Is this correct?

Bottom line, I do NOT intend nor want to give out a whole different phone number to my friends or family JUST to be able to use Google Voice.

Please tell me there's a way that I am not finding to do what I thought I could.
    DO NOT PORT YOUR NUMBER. DO NOT EVEN TRY TO PORT YOUR NUMBER. That would be a bad thing. If you could do it, Verizon would see it as you breaking your contract and billing you the fee for terminating your contract. As if you moved your number to ATT or Sprint or something.

I don't recall the steps, but you have to get a new Google number. Then somewhere along the lines when installing the Google Voicemail App, you type in the number that you are prompted to enter from the web page (something like *73newnumber). That directs your voicemail on your current Verizon mobile number to the new Google number. This is transparent and nobody will know you have a new number. Or you can use the new number as you see fit.

I have my google voice set up now but the voicemail notification is stuck on. All of my voicemails are deleted. Keeps asking me to call the Google voicemail number saying I have a new message. Any ideas?

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    DO NOT PORT YOUR NUMBER. DO NOT EVEN TRY TO PORT YOUR NUMBER. That would be a bad thing. If you could do it, Verizon would see it as you breaking your contract and billing you the fee for terminating your contract. As if you moved your number to ATT or Sprint or something.

I don't recall the steps, but you have to get a new Google number. Then somewhere along the lines when installing the Google Voicemail App, you type in the number that you are prompted to enter from the web page (something like *73newnumber). That directs your voicemail on your current Verizon mobile number to the new Google number. This is transparent and nobody will know you have a new number. Or you can use the new number as you see fit.
    I second that...DO NOT PORT.

You do have to get a phone number first and you can do that online. Then install the voice app. It will ask you for your carrier or Google voice. If you pick GOOGLE voice, it will say it can't, if you pick My Carrier it won't do anything. After you install it, go back to the VOICE PAGE and see if it looks like what I posted. If it does, change the settings to match mine....if not, then post your results and we will go from there!
    My Blog

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by alcoholics02 View Post
    I have my google voice set up now but the voicemail notification is stuck on. All of my voicemails are deleted. Keeps asking me to call the Google voicemail number saying I have a new message. Any ideas?
    One idea might be to subscribe to VZW's Enhanced Voicemail (VVM) for $2.99/mo. It just works.

Not trying to be a smartass, but, it's true.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    One idea might be to subscribe to VZW's Enhanced Voicemail (VVM) for $2.99/mo. It just works.

Not trying to be a smartass, but, it's true.

-Frank
    I never would have paid for it but after my 6 months of free vzw vvm I intend to keep it. I just don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a google account. Lazy? You bet!
    Thanked by: