Camera won't work on new Thunderbolt

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
My wife's new Thunderbolt arrived on Monday and all is well.

Except that the camera and camcorder won't work. It starts to open then closes immediately. It won't even open to the point where anything is visible. I removed the little piece of sticky plastic that was in place for shipping.

Am I missing something?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife's new Thunderbolt arrived on Monday and all is well.

Except that the camera and camcorder won't work. It starts to open then closes immediately. It won't even open to the point where anything is visible. I removed the little piece of sticky plastic that was in place for shipping.

Am I missing something?
Try this: Menu | Settings | Scroll down to select Applications | Manage Applications | All Tab. Scroll down to select the Camera app, select clear Cache and Data. Then Stop (if able). Restart the Camera app and see it if works now.

-Frank

Reactions: Spacemaker24

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Tried that. There is 0.00 in cache and data. But I do get the option to Force Close. I am not super tech savvy when it comes to these phones but I know a decent amount. It seems as if there may be a hardware issue.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Tried that. There is 0.00 in cache and data. But I do get the option to Force Close. I am not super tech savvy when it comes to these phones but I know a decent amount. It seems as if there may be a hardware issue.
Well, since it's a brand new phone, the only other thing I'd try is a battery/SIM pull, wait 2 minutes, reassemble and restart. If that doesn't do it either, I'd have them send you another NEW one.

-Frank

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you thought about trying to Root?. If it doesn't help, you can unroot and send it back

I would not go through that to diagnose a problem. I would get a replacement. The problem sounds like the problem that existed in the initial gingerbread releases but if you are on stock software you shouldn't have that issue.

UndergroundWire

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would not go through that to diagnose a problem. I would get a replacement. The problem sounds like the problem that existed in the initial gingerbread releases but if you are on stock software you shouldn't have that issue.

Yeah that was a per-release version of Gingerbread where Verizon put a stop mechanism on that.

Does your Google Talk force close too. Perhaps you should check your software version.

Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Software information

Is the software number 2.11.605.5?

If not go back to the home screen

Menu -> Settings -> Software update -> Check new

Also any software you installed when this started happening (in case none of the above seem to help you)?

toothdoc4

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I had that happen with my second TB after only having it for 4 days. My recommendation is to just get a replacement. I tried Frank's recommendations and they didn't work for me either.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It is brand new. Don't tolerate anything less then a perfect out of the box machine.
If a simple reset doesn't fix it, it is defective. Get it replaced.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, all of the software is up to date.

Calling VZW to ask for a replacement.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious prior to my call.

Toad_Toad

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that was a per-release version of Gingerbread where Verizon put a stop mechanism on that.

Does your Google Talk force close too. Perhaps you should check your software version.

Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Software information

Is the software number 2.11.605.5?

If not go back to the home screen

Menu -> Settings -> Software update -> Check new

Also any software you installed when this started happening (in case none of the above seem to help you)?

Everything in your post applies to me except I didn't try the camera until I put a bunch of apps on. They all work fine, but my software is ...605.0. When I update it says I'm already updated. Checked software again, ...605.0. Ughh.
Also, I can't get my netbook to recognize the phone but I haven't looked for that problem yet on the forums. I guess I'll send it back. <heavy sigh> :(

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Everything in your post applies to me except I didn't try the camera until I put a bunch of apps on. They all work fine, but my software is ...605.0. When I update it says I'm already updated. Checked software again, ...605.0. Ughh.
Also, I can't get my netbook to recognize the phone but I haven't looked for that problem yet on the forums. I guess I'll send it back. <heavy sigh> :(

You will have to manually install the newest software, the same way you installed the 605.0. You won't get an update because you have an unofficial version of software that the verizon servers won't recognize.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: Toad_Toad