Updating to GB from RUU (newbie)

MandiB2010

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
So I'm currently using unofficial firmware (software #1.66.605.2) and was directed to post questions here since I will be updating via RUU instead of OTA.

It seems pretty straight forward and as long as no one advises otherwise, I'm planning on using the RUU I found on droid-life.com

Right now, I think my main question is now if I need to create a backup of some sort before starting?

I've read a little on rooting and for now opted against it, just because I'm scared of screwing something up although I feel with a little more research I may find myself happier with my phones if I tried it in the future. I know with rooting and changing ROMs then a backup is essential.

Another question is if going this route, which seems to be the only option, is going to slow my phone's speed since the RUU file size is so much larger than if I had the OTA option?

Thanks so much for any input anyone can give.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've read a little on rooting and for now opted against it, just because I'm scared of screwing something up although I feel with a little more research I may find myself happier with my phones if I tried it in the future. I know with rooting and changing ROMs then a backup is essential.

Rooting is very easy, but if you aren't comfortable with it, then reasearch. Look on YouTube and check out the links below.

Check this link out

Backing Up

Another question is if going this route, which seems to be the only option, is going to slow my phone's speed since the RUU file size is so much larger than if I had the OTA option?
The reason the RUU is bigger is that it is the Whole OS and the OTA is only a update. It is like upgrading Windows from Vista to 7....only updates the files you need. The RUU will take your phone back to OUT OF THE BOX...but with the new OS.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP. Download "MyBackup Pro" and backup your files (DATA and APPS). After you upgrade with the RUU, you will have to download it again (maybe....depends on if Google restores). After you reinstall it, you can restore (DON'T RESTORE SYSTEM SETTINGS).

Thanks so much for any input anyone can give.
If you need help....post your questions....we where all there at one time!........WELCOME!

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The RUU will not slow your phone down. It's a bigger size because it is the whole operating system, instead of an update. It wipes your phone and replaces the software so in the end the file size on the phone is the same. I've RUUd three times with no issues. Let us know if you need help.

MandiB2010

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
After you upgrade with the RUU, you will have to download it again (maybe....depends on if Google restores).

That is another question I have...don't know if it warrants a new thread or not, but when I got the TB and switched over, I had no clue about Google updating. I had made a list of apps to download that I previously had on my original Droid and while I was downloading some of them, all of a sudden, others started downloading. Sure saved me a lot of work.
When I first discovered I was running old software on this new-to-me phone, I contacted HTC and VZW to see how to get updated. Most of the answers were completely unrelated, but one person finally seemed to understand what I was asking and said I needed to do a hard reset. I dreaded it, but tried it anyhow. No luck (obviously), but this time when I got the phone up and going again, I started downloading my apps and unfortunately they didn't start restoring automatically. Very disappointed.
What determines if my apps restore automatically?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
When you're setting up your google account, there's usually a check box that allows you to choose if you want to restore your google data and another for backing up your phone to the cloud. Usually it'll start restoring after you log in so it's a good idea to make sure you're connected to wifi or 4G as it can take a while if you have a lot of apps. After a reset, I just enter my google log in, open the market to accept the terms and walk away leaving it to install everything. Sometimes the apps don't restore which is where root and apps like MyBackup Pro come in.

As for updating, just follow the instructions below from the droidlife link. One thing to note is to make sure you don't give the file an extra .zip. A lot of people use windows and have known file extensions hidden so they rename it including the .zip not knowing it's already there. Can't really mess anything up by naming it incorrectly but you'll be scratching your head trying to figure out why it won't start installing.

1. Download this file and rename it to PG05IMG.zip.
2. Drop the file onto the root of your SD card, meaning it is not in a folder.
3. Power down your device.
4. Hold Volume Down + Power to boot into the bootloader. (Quick boot from the market also works)
5. Your phone should recognize the file. Follow the on-screen instructions.
6. Once everything finishes, choose the option to reboot. Enjoy!

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
When I first discovered I was running old software on this new-to-me phone, I contacted HTC and VZW to see how to get updated. Most of the answers were completely unrelated, but one person finally seemed to understand what I was asking and said I needed to do a hard reset. I dreaded it, but tried it anyhow. No luck (obviously), but this time when I got the phone up and going again, I started downloading my apps and unfortunately they didn't start restoring automatically. Very disappointed.
What determines if my apps restore automatically?

This is what you do. After you boot up your phone after you install the RUU, let it run it's course and install all your apps...don't worry if they are OLD. After they are all down AUTOMATICALLY downloading, go into the MARKET APP and pick MENU (on the bottom of the phone), then MY APPS. It should say "Updates ##" (## being how many you have) in the upper right area. I have had as little as 1 or 2 and as many as 25. Currently as I type this message @ 5:07pm PST, I have 3 updates waiting for me. Just pick the app and then pick UPDATE.

This will clear up all the old software.

Here is another thing....once you get your screen the way you want, use MyBACKUP and save everything again....it is ok to have muliple copies of your backups...just takes up space...no biggie. When you restore next time, restore your "HOME" settings and it will set up your home screen the way it was before you upgrade/updated......but with the latest OS. Does this make any sense (no pun intended) to you?

MandiB2010

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I survived the update, but I can’t believe how many new apps are on my phone that I have no plans of using. I guess it’s time to investigate rooting more so I can get rid of these.

Thanks again for everyone’s assistance.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I survived the update, but I can’t believe how many new apps are on my phone that I have no plans of using. I guess it’s time to investigate rooting more so I can get rid of these.

Thanks again for everyone’s assistance.

Do it. Take 3 hours to read and perform it.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol