Backing up Phone Contacts?

krazibones

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm still new to this Android thing and wanted to know how to backup phone contacts. I rooted my phone and used to use Verizon Backup Assistant, but not sure if that still works.

I don't want ALL of my Gmail contacts to show up under "people" on my phone, but just the contacts I have now and future ones that I might add. Is there there is an easy way to backup the contacts on my phone to gmail and then sync the two each time there is an update or change.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm still new to this Android thing and wanted to know how to backup phone contacts. I rooted my phone and used to use Verizon Backup Assistant, but not sure if that still works.

I don't want ALL of my Gmail contacts to show up under "people" on my phone, but just the contacts I have now and future ones that I might add. Is there there is an easy way to backup the contacts on my phone to gmail and then sync the two each time there is an update or change.
You can choose which contacts show up on your list by using the People app... Menu | View, select the ones you want to appear in the list. Also, when adding contacts, be sure you are adding them to the desired category by using the drop down arrow at the very top (you might have to scroll up while adding a contact to see it).

Most folks think it is best to sync with Google (gmail) automatically. But some prefer the manual method (i.e. People | Menu | Export). You can also play games using import/export within your gmail account itself while logged onto your PC. Works well.

Backup Assistant "works", but is not advised by most (including me). It just isn't up to the task of syncing a Smartphone, IMHO.

-Frank

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Your contacts should be linked to your GMAIL Account and you don't have to back them up. But, if you want to have a copy, you can use "GoContacts EX" and pick Menu --> Imp/Exp and it will save all your contacts. You can even merge cntacts if there are doubles or more.

If you enter a contact on your phone, it will appear in your Gmail contacts...if you enter the contact in your Gmail contacts...it will appear on your phone. You can put them in "groups" which will separate them.

krazibones

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
ok so I came from a non-smartphone to a smartphone and when I first got my Thunderbolt it had ALL of my gmail contacts loaded (emails, names, people) and my phone contacts. It was too many contacts for me. I found how to remove the gmail contacts and not synch those to the People app on my phone. So now I just have my contacts (from my pre-smartphone days) under the People app.

What I want to do is create a group in my gmail account called "Phone Contacts" and just sync my current phone contacts to that group in Gmail. But I think since my contacts under people are currently "Phone Contacts" they cant be synched to gmail, correct? Is there a way to convert all them to "Google Contacts" sycn them to that group I create in Gmail called "Phone Contacts" and then just show the "Phone Contacts" under the people app on my phone?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
ok so I came from a non-smartphone to a smartphone and when I first got my Thunderbolt it had ALL of my gmail contacts loaded (emails, names, people) and my phone contacts. It was too many contacts for me. I found how to remove the gmail contacts and not synch those to the People app on my phone. So now I just have my contacts (from my pre-smartphone days) under the People app.

What I want to do is create a group in my gmail account called "Phone Contacts" and just sync my current phone contacts to that group in Gmail. But I think since my contacts under people are currently "Phone Contacts" they cant be synched to gmail, correct? Is there a way to convert all them to "Google Contacts" sycn them to that group I create in Gmail called "Phone Contacts" and then just show the "Phone Contacts" under the people app on my phone?
To my knowledge, Google gmail cannot sync with your "phone" contacts. You'll probably have to do that manually. As far as converting your current phone contacts to Google contacts, you should be able to export them to a file on your SD Card. Then, import them into your Google account. Then, they'll begin syncing as Google contacts.

-Frank

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

the easiest way to accomplish this is to go into the "People" app and assign the EACH CONTACT to a group.....FAMILY....Friends, Co-workers etc.

Then pick one of HTC Widgets is called "People"...there are a few to chose from. When you add that to one of the blank pages on your home-screen, it will ask you for the contacts you want to display....you can pick more than one...family, friends etc.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I use My Backup Pro to save my contacts. I don't sync my contacts with Google cause I like to keep them separate, and this app works perfectly for that; nice and simple. There's also a free version in the market if you want to try it out - I think it will work for your needs, but I never used the free version so I'm kind of guessing it will.

Reactions: steve_ma

ncapp11

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
If you simply only want to see contacts with a phone number in People, it's as easy as checking the "Only with phone number" option under People Menu View. If you don't want them on the phone at all, use the suggestions above.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member