Random Advertising icon in notification

XXI

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I get a Star or a Green plus sign in my notification bar and when you click on it, it opens the browser with an ad to Facebook or whatever. Anyone know how to get rid of this????

androidguy916

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem after I updated MySettings a couple of days ago except I had a red star. I suspected MySettings so I installed AirPush Detector which confirmed my suspicions. I uninstalled MySettings and no more spam in my notification bar.

I hope that helps.

Bill

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried airpush dector but it found nothing. I tried addons detector. It listed a bunch of apps that I have been using for quite a while with no problem so it probably isn't any of them. Any other ideas to helop find the culprit?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
With add-ons detector you have to use the pull-down to select what to view.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

androidguy916

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I Googled around and found a couple of hits on a couple of apps that might be causing this. There is an app called Wicked Songs Lite which is some kind of music app and an MP3 music download app, no specific name was referenced. Perhaps you installed something like that in the past few days?

Bill

Reactions: barbo

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Nope - the only things I have installed/flashed in the past few days (I'm pretty sure) are an UnNamed ROM update, AdFree, airpush dector and addons detector. I have very few games on there and none put on recently, and I have no music apps. (boring, huh?)

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This may be a long shot but when the indicator comes on and you long press the home button, is an unidentified app listed? You said it was in the notification line, when you pull this down, does it show what is flagging the indicator? Can you identify the app in Menu-Settings-Applications-Running services-Running?

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying to help, pcbtmr.

I long-pressed home and there was nothing. Menu-settings... running apps showed nothing new/different either. When I pulled down the notifications, it said something about an unclaimed prize. I clicked on that and the browser opened some prize page that I of course did not click on. It said "Android User Rewards" on the top. I googled "Android User Rewards" and did not find anything that seemed to help.

The url didn't show in firefox but I went to the menu and clicked on "share this page" and I emailed the url to myself. This is what I got:
Attention Android User!

I went to that site on my desktop and viewed the source for that page but didn't find anything there helped me.

Anyone have any other ideas? BTW, these popups on the notification bar do not happen that often. Over the past three days it may have happened 3-4 times but I still want to get rid of it.

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Oops - AndroidCentral changed my url to a direct link in the last post (Attention android User!)

It was: (without the http part)
com-ws.us/win/usa/?t202kw=a+ch+usa2+ent+Ad5&cid=b783216445d4b35d1a6d68d210c87c72

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you could list the apps you currently have installed. Unless its just too many. Might help us figure out which one is giving you problems.

barbo

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok, bjboucher - here's what I have (not all but the most recently updated or installed)

AdFree
Corona Indie Bundle (recently an Amazon free app)
Dolphin HD (recently updated, I think)
Dropbox
GasBuddy
Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard
Random Mahjong Pro
TripAdvisor
WeatherBug (I believe it was recently updated)

The rest of my apps I have been living with for a while with no problems.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I would suspect that Corona Indie bundle out of that list but hard to say for sure. I've used Gasbuddy in the past without problems, weatherbug too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza