Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Apps Unloading from Memory

Not the best title. but I can't think of a better one. Basically, as I have installed more and more apps on my Thunderbolt over time, I find that many of them run in the background (I'm guessing to check for new content, etc.), and because of this, apps that I am regularly using (e.g., browser being the most important one) are being unloaded from memory by Android (smartly, in theory) to make room for these background processes.

The problem is that I use the browser and a few other apps very regularly, and it's gotten to the point where if I leave the browser, open my email, and go back to the browser, the browser has been unloaded from memory because of all of the background apps.

Not everyone may have seen this, but when the stock browser is unloaded from memory, it loses all of its tab, and while it does retain the current tab, it has to reload everything from the most recent cached version - which is often not actually the most recent page you've seen. So if I am working on something in the browser, take a 20 minute break, and come back to the browser, it's been kicked out of memory so I'm now looking at a web page that is not the most recent, and has to be reloaded - plus it has to reload this old one from cache anyway and that takes ~8-10 seconds. Plus I've lost any other tabs entirely.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal, just a hassle, and I'd love for some way to "pin" certain apps to memory so they never get unloaded if that is possible? Or maybe I should try a new browser, although most of the ones I've tried seem way too busy - I like the "lightweight" feeling of the stock browser, has just the right feature-set for me.

I've tried a task killer (yeah, yeah, yeah, but this actually seemed like the sort of issue it might be able to help with) and it's not much help as it actually would need to be killing stuff like every second to make a difference (since the background apps are constantly starting), and they don't do that...

And for the final data point, some of the background apps running now are: WInamp, Youtube, Springpad, Alarm Clock Extreme, The Economist, NY TImes, Battle.net Authenticator, Google+. And then some of the garbage that Verizon forces onto the phone like Rhapsody and Slacker - I could root, but I think that by default would just push the problem into the future. Anyway, point being the background apps aren't like weird little apps, they're pretty standard things that I would imagine many are using.

Default Re: Apps Unloading from Memory

pre root this was actually happening to me on Opera browser, losing my tabs.
    though, since i'm not even had a full 24 being rooted, i can't say if that has changed.

btw, i too have been bombing my tbolt with all these apps since googles 10 cent deals (majority of it for future tablet)
    עם ישראל חי

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by pbannist View Post
    Basically, as I have installed more and more apps on my Thunderbolt over time, I find that many of them run in the background...
    How many?

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

This happened to me before. I always thought it was because I was on content heavy sites. I could never figure it out. I have lots of apps too but I move every single one to the SD card.

I use Imo's lean kernel and enabling zram seemed to help a little when I had this issue.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    How many?

-Frank
    I've probably installed 30-40 apps from the app store at this point. So a decent chunk, but I'm guessing not an inordinate amount compared to the average.. I wonder if most just don't notice this since it's not a huge deal, just annoying to me...

ROM
    Gingerbread 2.3

I have also added a ton of apps since the 10 cent apps for 10 days but I am not having the sane issue.. I made sure to uncheck running in background on the apps that let me.. There are quite a few that will let you do that.. As for rhapsody I deleted all the updates on those forces apps..

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by pbannist View Post
    I've probably installed 30-40 apps from the app store at this point. So a decent chunk, but I'm guessing not an inordinate amount compared to the average.. I wonder if most just don't notice this since it's not a huge deal, just annoying to me...
    30-40 is not excessive. I've got 80ish and I am way under a lot of folks here on the board. I don't seem to have any issues. I dunno... it's hard to quantify. I don't know what you consider laggy, but I am very satisfied with my TBolt's performance.

If you have moved any apps to the SDcard, I would recommend moving them back to internal memory. Many times moving apps to the SDCard can cause issues. And, from my experience, there is no reason to manually move apps to the SDcard. There is plenty of internal memory in the TBolt. Some apps will install data onto the SDcard by default. That's fine. Just don't manually move any over to the SDcard. That can often cause problems.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]