Titanium Backup vs. My Backup Pro vs Magical Mystery Backup App

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been using My Backup Pro, but it seems as though everyone on here using Titanium. Why?

Second, it seems like it would be a whole lot easier if I could re-install either Titanium or My Backup Pro directly from the card after a flash, rather than waiting for the dang market to download whatever it decided to download before I clicked on My Backup Pro. Is there a Magical Backup App that will reinstall my apps and data following a flash? Or at least reinstall itself?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Titanium Backup vs. My Backup Pro vs Magical Mystery Backup A

Titanium requires root. My Backup Pro has a version for both root and non-root.

-Frank

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

I use TiBackup for apps and My Backup Root for SMS/MMS/call logs. I believe Tibackup is more powerful for app backup than mybackup is.

as for not having to download TiBackup after a flash... if you can get an apk of tibackup, that would resolve your problem, but I'm not sure where you can grab it from or if grabbing it from system/app would work.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I use TiBackup for apps and My Backup Root for SMS/MMS/call logs. I believe Tibackup is more powerful for app backup than mybackup is.

as for not having to download TiBackup after a flash... if you can get an apk of tibackup, that would resolve your problem, but I'm not sure where you can grab it from or if grabbing it from system/app would work.
Just for clarification, My Backup Pro backs up SMS/MMS/Call Logs even with the non-root version.

-Frank

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. How is the speed for Titanium? My Backup Pro restores so sloooooowly.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

lol... dude, what's up with you and clarifying root? he's asking people what they use and why.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. How is the speed for Titanium? My Backup Pro restores so sloooooowly.

backups go quickly for Ti, but restores can take a while. I have over a 100 apps and it took maybe 15-30 min to restore depending on the rom. I need to remove some apps...

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

lol... dude, what's up with you and clarifying root? he's asking people what they use and why.
lol... dude,

1) This post is not in the Root section of the board. It is in the non-rooted section of the board.

2) Yet, you specifically stated "I use TiBackup for apps and My Backup Root for SMS/MMS/call logs.. If you didn't post a potentially misleading statement there would be no need for clarification.

-Frank

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site

I actually debated where to put this. I ultimately decided that, since this is really an app question, it belonged here. For what it's worth, it's because I'm trying hard to put off flashing another ROM for the 4th time this month, and I was hoping for a more streamlined restore option....so I can ignore myself and flash. :D

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

hahahaha... how was my post misleading? I just wrote what I use... and the OP is talking about what to do after flashing, clearly identifying himself as having root.

anyway, you could have specifically answered his question and then asked a mod to move this thread to the "right" section instead of posting vague responses.

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
the OP is talking about what to do after flashing, clearly identifying himself as having root.

anyway, you could have specifically answered his question and then asked a mod to move this thread to the "right" section instead of posting vague responses.
Touche! I had missed that point as well. I think titanum backup is best for rooted and my backup pro for phones without root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

back to going on topic,
i have and use both.
titanium will not only backup your apps, but also the data in them, e.g.: such as if you're on level 15 of a hard game - bam! restored, no need to replay all previous 14 again. From my knowledge, mybackup only restores the app. Mybackup does back up data too, but not app data.
hope that helps.

Reactions: jackmei2

rogcontact

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

MyBackup does also backup Apps Data, just like Titanium, on top of that it backs up SMS/MMS/Contacts, etc... accross ROMs, so you can take it from Android 2.x to Android 4.x, which titanium lacks.

You can get the APK to MyBackup Pro from here: http://www.rerware.com/Android/MyBackupPro.apk
And place it on your SD card to install after a reset, so you do not have to re-download it again.

Also, MyBackup Root is FREE and lets you backup Apps Data, and all other items I just mentioned.

Reactions: Josh515 and cdf3

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

MyBackup does also backup Apps Data, just like Titanium, on top of that it backs up SMS/MMS/Contacts, etc... accross ROMs, so you can take it from Android 2.x to Android 4.x, which titanium lacks.

so I think I'm missing something, but Tibackup won't be able to restore apps to ICS that were backed up from 2.x? it's not exactly a concern of mine yet, but that's something good to know.

also, my main problem with MyBackup right now is that you can backup the MMS, but it does not restore it back properly to the thread it came from. I have blank messages where the MMS would be after doing a restore after a rom flash.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

also, my main problem with MyBackup right now is that you can backup the MMS, but it does not restore it back properly to the thread it came from. I have blank messages where the MMS would be after doing a restore after a rom flash.

+1 to MyBackup Pro

I agree, that is my only NEGATIVE thing to say about it. But, when I get a MMS message, I will just save it onto my SD card and then delete the message. I just like how MyBackup Pro just works without a lot of screens...very USER friendly. I usually back up my APK's and DATA together. I then just back up my DATA without backing up Contacts and System settings.

It takes about an hour to do a complete 100% reinstall. but, lately what I have been doing is just backing up my ROM and that gets everything!

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

I've been using MyBackup Pro for a while now and never had that issue. Threads and included mms restore correctly. And on a related note, MBP is 2.99 in the market which is a steal.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
"Second, it seems like it would be a whole lot easier if I could re-install either Titanium or My Backup Pro directly from the card after a flash, rather than waiting for the dang market to download whatever it decided to download before I clicked on My Backup Pro. Is there a Magical Backup App that will reinstall my apps and data following a flash? Or at least reinstall itself?"
You can use a feature in TB to create an update.zip with whatever apps you want to be able to restore immediately - press Menu->More.

18fb7104-b5f0-18f5.jpg

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

Last edited: