Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

Quote Originally Posted by ErrorProxy View Post
    Can I activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan at all. Just talk and text.

I read only droid phones are required to have $30 data plans. This technically isn't a droid.. is it?..

Or am i just being silly.

Is there some loophole besides these techniques: How Can I Use My Smartphone Without a Data Plan?
    Please don't think I am being a jerk, because I am not, but, using a smartphone only to talk and text isn't an efficient use of a smartphone. That would be like buying a super fast computer and not connecting to the internet.

My suggestion is, if you only want to talk and text, get a SAMSUNG Intensity (what my son has). Doesn't do Video, but you can take pictures and it has a QWERTY slide out keyboard. He has unlimited texting and we share minutes.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by defcon999 View Post
    Please don't think I am being a jerk, because I am not, but, using a smartphone only to talk and text isn't an efficient use of a smartphone. That would be like buying a super fast computer and not connecting to the internet.

My suggestion is, if you only want to talk and text, get a SAMSUNG Intensity (what my son has). Doesn't do Video, but you can take pictures and it has a QWERTY slide out keyboard. He has unlimited texting and we share minutes.
    People buy smartphones for different reasons. Perhaps he has wifi wherever he goes. Or perhaps he likes to listen to music and watch videos or use some apps similar to an iPod touch but with phone and text capabilities.

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

For years and years I used WiFi data only on my smartphones. It really wasn't that bad for me because I had WiFi most places, and I could sync my email/calender/etc. with the exchange server over WiFi. Read and reply to the email. Then later sync it when I was on WiFi again. Having 3G/4G data really has changed things for me a lot. Mainly just moving maps and internet access when camping.

I have a question to piggy back on this one;.I have a Thunderbolt.currently, but could I buy an iPhone 4s for full retail from Verizon or the unlocked one from the apple store and just use it as an expensive iPod? I would like it to be unattached to any service plan, be it data or voice or text. I know it would be an expensive iPod, but it would have a couple more features. I saw that the apple store was selling unlocked iPhones, but was unsure if I could use it this way (wifi only) and not have it affect my current plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix111 View Post
    I have a question to piggy back on this one;.I have a Thunderbolt.currently, but could I buy an iPhone 4s for full retail from Verizon or the unlocked one from the apple store and just use it as an expensive iPod? I would like it to be unattached to any service plan, be it data or voice or text. I know it would be an expensive iPod, but it would have a couple more features. I saw that the apple store was selling unlocked iPhones, but was unsure if I could use it this way (wifi only) and not have it affect my current plan.
    You could buy the iPhone from Verizon and use it as an expensive iPod Touch, and later, can use it as a phone on Verizon if you wished. You can also buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple store, but the unlocked one from the Apple store is quad band gsm, no cdma, meaning, you would not be able to use it as a phone on Verizon if you later wanted to. You can use it on AT&T, T-Mo or any other gsm carrier though.

The features from an iPod Touch to iPhone is, imo, not worth it if you are paying full retail and not planning to use it as a phone.

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

I think your best bet would be to wait a few months and I bet the iPOD Touch 4S will come out. I have the iTouch and I find that my TBolt does more than my iTouch does. The only thing that it does that my TBolt doesn't do is run a Guitar Amp simulation program and some music apps, other than that, there is really no advantage.

If you are wanting the SIRI feature, I hear that Google is releasing something soon Google - SIRI
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You could buy the iPhone from Verizon and use it as an expensive iPod Touch, and later, can use it as a phone on Verizon if you wished. You can also buy an unlocked iPhone from the apple store, but the unlocked one from the Apple store is quad band gsm, no cdma, meaning, you would not be able to use it as a phone on Verizon if you later wanted to. You can use it on AT&T, T-Mo or any other gsm carrier though.

The features from an iPod Touch to iPhone is, imo, not worth it if you are paying full retail and not planning to use it as a phone.
    How would I go about activating it though? I think I read that I would need a Sim card to activate the unlocked iPhone for the first time. What would I need to activate one from Verizon without it being attached to a plan or affecting my current plan?

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

How would I go about activating it though?
    Why would you want to activate it? Nothing in your original post seems to require activation. Right?

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Why would you want to activate it? Nothing in your original post seems to require activation. Right?

-Frank
    Sorry maybe I'm confused. I thought I read that before I could use it even for wifi only that I would have to pass through an activation screen. Is this untrue?

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Sorry maybe I'm confused. I thought I read that before I could use it even for wifi only that I would have to pass through an activation screen. Is this untrue?
    I can't say from 1st hand experience, but I read in these forums that you can bypass that screen. I don't know how, but I believe that's what I read. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

i had an iphone 3G that I got as a gift, it was wiped, but I was able to bypass activation and use it with wifi only until I was able to jailbreak and unlock it. it did come with a sim, but not one with current service. you might need a sim, but for an unlocked phone, you should be able to get free pre-paid sims from at&t or tmo or get it very cheap

If you got a Verizon iPhone, you could activate the iPhone and pay a $35 activation fee which is refundable if service is cancelled within 3 days. You would still be responsible for pro-rated voice/data/text charges for whatever you used.

there are other ways i saw over the net but i haven't really looked into them.
    Last edited by dpham00; 12-29-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    i had an iphone 3G that I got as a gift, it was wiped, but I was able to bypass activation and use it with wifi only until I was able to jailbreak and unlock it. it did come with a sim, but not one with current service. you might need a sim, but for an unlocked phone, you should be able to get free pre-paid sims from at&t or tmo or get it very cheap

If you got a Verizon iPhone, you could activate the iPhone and pay a $35 activation fee which is refundable if service is cancelled within 3 days. You would still be responsible for pro-rated voice/data/text charges for whatever you used.

there are other ways i saw over the net but i haven't really looked into them.
    So if I bought a pre-paid sim card would I just be getting that sim card with no other strings attached? Or would that card be attached to forthcoming monthly service plan bills that I would have to pay? This pre-paid sim card idea just seems too easy lol. It would be great if I could purchase a sim card like that, use it to activate the phone and then be off to using it only wifi only as an iPod touch.

So if I bought a pre-paid sim card would I just be getting that sim card with no other strings attached? Or would that card be attached to forthcoming monthly service plan bills that I would have to pay? This pre-paid sim card idea just seems too easy lol. It would be great if I could purchase a sim card like that, use it to activate the phone and then be off to using it only wifi only as an iPod touch.
    You don't need a pre-paid sim card, you can get a regular sim card. If you go into the store, a rep might even just activate the phone for you, then de-activate it. Just tell them what you want to do.

I'm still baffled why you even want to do this. Just get an iPod Touch, they're way cheaper.
    johnriii likes this.

Given your question is about an iPhone, and this being a thunderbolt forum, you might have better luck asking your question at an iPhone forum.
    johnriii likes this.

you can buy a pre-paid at&t sim card, pre-paid has no contract, just a sim. should be just a few bux .

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    You don't need a pre-paid sim card, you can get a regular sim card. If you go into the store, a rep might even just activate the phone for you, then de-activate it. Just tell them what you want to do.

I'm still baffled why you even want to do this. Just get an iPod Touch, they're way cheaper.
    yes, you can get a regular sim, you can probably buy one online as well. i hate going into the store, i always have bad luck with csr.

i agree though, for use as n iPod Touch, an iPhone is a waste of money.

IF YOUR ONLY USING WIFI YOU DONT NEED TO ACTIVATE THE PHONE!! Its effin common sense!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12