Without a $30 data plan?

DrDiff

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
You are being silly. If you want ANY smart phone on Verizon you have to have a data plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jeenyus

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure you can. However, it'll cost you more if there's no data plan if you buy new from Verizon. You might have to full price of the phone

Last edited:

pingplayer01

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Can I activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan at all. Just talk and text.

I read only droid phones are required to have $30 data plans. This technically isn't a droid.. is it?..

Or am i just being silly.

Is there some loophole besides these techniques: How Can I Use My Smartphone Without a Data Plan?

If you activate ANY Verizon smart phone, you are required to have a data plan. The only way for you not to have a data plan is to buy it full retail and not activate it at all (just use wifi).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure you can. However, it'll cost you more if there's no data plan if you buy new from Verizon. You might have to full price of the phone

You can't run it on Verizon?s network without data , I bought a no contract phone before and still had to pay for the data plan. You can buy the $20/mo data plan for smartphone,that's the currently lowest plan for smartphones.

The only option to use the thunderbolt on Verizon's network without data plan is through a mvno like page plus, but getting it activated on pp is tricky.

ErrorProxy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Does it matter since I'm buying it from eBay and not from Verizon?

How's that? Activate without telling them it's a smartphone?

Well, any loopholes?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Does it matter since I'm buying it from eBay and not from Verizon?

How's that? Activate without telling them it's a smartphone?

Well, any loopholes?

No way around it. Verizon has the esn for every phone on Verizon's network,so they know what the phone is when you activate. Unless you use mvno.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to activate without a data plan. Cannot get around it no matter what you say or do. Get a dumb phone then

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i'll try to make this easy for you, rather than having to figure out who's right and who's wrong.

you are required to pay at least $20 a month for the lowest data package on verizon right now when you activate any smartphone on verizon's network, meaning if you want to make calls and text from a smart phone, then you have to have the data package. it doesn't not matter where you buy your phone, from ebay, best buy, a friend - when you activate your phone, the ESN/MEID number will tell verizon what kind of phone is being added, and at that point you will be required to add the data package to your account. no, you cannot tell them another ESN/MEID number otherwise your device will not be activated.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
They started this 3 years ago (I believe). I still have a couple of old Windows Mobile smartphones that are grandfathered in. So those I can activate and have data blocked. Anything sold after that data (November 2009 I believe) MUST have data activated.
And I suspect that if I tried to activate one of those old WinMo phones that do not require data, 99% of the VZW reps would be ignorant of the fact that they can be activated without a data plan. Don't think I want to go through that pain.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They started this 3 years ago (I believe). I still have a couple of old Windows Mobile smartphones that are grandfathered in. So those I can activate and have data blocked. Anything sold after that data (November 2009 I believe) MUST have data activated.
And I suspect that if I tried to activate one of those old WinMo phones that do not require data, 99% of the VZW reps would be ignorant of the fact that they can be activated without a data plan. Don't think I want to go through that pain.

The cut-off date is November 2008. This is the list of smartphones that do not require a data plan on Verizon.

Smartphones that DO NOT require a data plan (pre-Nov. 14, 2008)
1) HTC Fusion (SMT5800) - no wifi
2) HTC Touch (XV6900) - no wifi
3) Motorola Q9M/Q9C/Q - no wifi
4) Palm Centro - no wifi
5) Samsung SCH-i760 - WIFI
6) HTC Mogul (XV6800) - WIFI
7) Palm Treo 700w/700wx - no wifi
8) Pantech PN-820 - no wifi, but one of the few clamshell smartphones available
9) Palm Treo 700p - no wifi
10) Palm Treo 750p - no wifi
11) Samsung SCH-I830 - no wifi
12) HTC Apache (XV6700) - WIFI
13) Samsung SCH-I730 - WIFI
14) Palm Treo 650 - no wifi
15) HTC Harrier (XV6600) - no wifi

Definitive list: smartphones that do/do not require data plans

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
When you consider that the Thunderbolt is a 4G LTE phone with a SIM card (and therefore different activation mechanism), it would probably be even more difficult to activate a Thunderbolt on Verizon without a dataplan than a 3G only smartphone. Just a guess, as EVERY 4G LTE phone they offer is a smartphone that requires a data plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How much will an mnvo cost from Verizon?

Or do they even have one..

There are a number of mvno for Verizon. Note that mvno are separate entities that operate on Verizon or another carrier's network. The thunderbolt isn't officially supported on say page plus, but I have read of someone tweaking their thunderbolt to get it to work on page plus . http://www.mvnolist.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo