Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Without a $30 data plan?

    Can I activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan at all. Just talk and text.

    I read only droid phones are required to have $30 data plans. This technically isn't a droid.. is it?..

    Or am i just being silly.

    Is there some loophole besides these techniques:
  2. #2  

    Default

    You are being silly. If you want ANY smart phone on Verizon you have to have a data plan.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. #3  
    Jeenyus's Avatar

    Posts
    230 Posts
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    Pretty sure you can. However, it'll cost you more if there's no data plan if you buy new from Verizon. You might have to full price of the phone
    Last edited by Jeenyus; 12-25-2011 at 07:42 PM.
  4. #4  
    pingplayer01's Avatar

    Posts
    162 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrorProxy View Post
    Can I activate this phone with Verizon without a data plan at all. Just talk and text.

    I read only droid phones are required to have $30 data plans. This technically isn't a droid.. is it?..

    Or am i just being silly.

    Is there some loophole besides these techniques:
    If you activate ANY Verizon smart phone, you are required to have a data plan. The only way for you not to have a data plan is to buy it full retail and not activate it at all (just use wifi).
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeenyus View Post
    Pretty sure you can. However, it'll cost you more if there's no data plan if you buy new from Verizon. You might have to full price of the phone
    You can't run it on Verizon’s network without data , I bought a no contract phone before and still had to pay for the data plan. You can buy the $20/mo data plan for smartphone,that's the currently lowest plan for smartphones.

    The only option to use the thunderbolt on Verizon's network without data plan is through a mvno like page plus, but getting it activated on pp is tricky.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    yes, you must have a data plan.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    Does it matter since I'm buying it from eBay and not from Verizon?

    How's that? Activate without telling them it's a smartphone?

    Well, any loopholes?
  8. #8  
    FrankXS's Avatar

    Posts
    3,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrorProxy View Post
    Well, any loopholes?
    Nope.

    -Frank

    Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    It would be awesome if we could but we can't. Just pick the cheapest plan.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrorProxy View Post
    Does it matter since I'm buying it from eBay and not from Verizon?

    How's that? Activate without telling them it's a smartphone?

    Well, any loopholes?
    No way around it. Verizon has the esn for every phone on Verizon's network,so they know what the phone is when you activate. Unless you use mvno.
  11. #11  

    Default

    There is no way to activate without a data plan. Cannot get around it no matter what you say or do. Get a dumb phone then

    Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  12. #12  
    davidsnoodles's Avatar

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    i'll try to make this easy for you, rather than having to figure out who's right and who's wrong.

    you are required to pay at least $20 a month for the lowest data package on verizon right now when you activate any smartphone on verizon's network, meaning if you want to make calls and text from a smart phone, then you have to have the data package. it doesn't not matter where you buy your phone, from ebay, best buy, a friend - when you activate your phone, the ESN/MEID number will tell verizon what kind of phone is being added, and at that point you will be required to add the data package to your account. no, you cannot tell them another ESN/MEID number otherwise your device will not be activated.
  13. #13  
    worwig's Avatar

    Posts
    733 Posts
    Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    They started this 3 years ago (I believe). I still have a couple of old Windows Mobile smartphones that are grandfathered in. So those I can activate and have data blocked. Anything sold after that data (November 2009 I believe) MUST have data activated.
    And I suspect that if I tried to activate one of those old WinMo phones that do not require data, 99% of the VZW reps would be ignorant of the fact that they can be activated without a data plan. Don't think I want to go through that pain.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    They started this 3 years ago (I believe). I still have a couple of old Windows Mobile smartphones that are grandfathered in. So those I can activate and have data blocked. Anything sold after that data (November 2009 I believe) MUST have data activated.
    And I suspect that if I tried to activate one of those old WinMo phones that do not require data, 99% of the VZW reps would be ignorant of the fact that they can be activated without a data plan. Don't think I want to go through that pain.
    The cut-off date is November 2008. This is the list of smartphones that do not require a data plan on Verizon.

    Smartphones that DO NOT require a data plan (pre-Nov. 14, 2008)
    1) HTC Fusion (SMT5800) - no wifi
    2) HTC Touch (XV6900) - no
    3) Motorola Q9M/Q9C/Q - no wifi
    4) Palm Centro - no wifi
    5) Samsung SCH-i760 - WIFI
    6) HTC Mogul (XV6800) - WIFI
    7) Palm Treo 700w/700wx - no wifi
    8) Pantech PN-820 - no wifi, but one of the few clamshell smartphones available
    9) Palm Treo 700p - no wifi
    10) Palm Treo 750p - no wifi
    11) SCH-I830 - no wifi
    12) HTC Apache (XV6700) - WIFI
    13) Samsung SCH-I730 - WIFI
    14) Palm Treo 650 - no wifi
    15) HTC Harrier (XV6600) - no wifi

  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    No way around it. Verizon has the esn for every phone on Verizon's network,so they know what the phone is when you activate. Unless you use mvno.
    How much will an mnvo cost from Verizon?

    Or do they even have one..
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    When you consider that the Thunderbolt is a 4G LTE phone with a SIM card (and therefore different activation mechanism), it would probably be even more difficult to activate a Thunderbolt on Verizon without a dataplan than a 3G only smartphone. Just a guess, as EVERY 4G LTE phone they offer is a smartphone that requires a data plan.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    How about the old Smart phones?

    Say, this one: Amazon.com: Verizon Motorola Droid A855 Android Cell Phone (no contract): Cell Phones & Accessories

    Last question then this thread can be closed. I'm reluctant to face the cold hard truth.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    No, the OG Droid came out in late 09 so that'd fall after the mandatory data cut-off
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrorProxy View Post
    How much will an mnvo cost from Verizon?

    Or do they even have one..
    There are a number of mvno for Verizon. Note that mvno are separate entities that operate on Verizon or another carrier's network. The thunderbolt isn't officially supported on say page plus, but I have read of someone tweaking their thunderbolt to get it to work on page plus . http://www.mvnolist.com/



    .
  20. #20  
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    So.. how does one start using mnvo?.. What are the requirements? How much does it cost?
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrorProxy View Post
    So.. how does one start using mnvo?.. What are the requirements? How much does it cost?
    Officially, only select phones are supported by the mvno, but like I said before, I have read of success running the thunderbolt on page plus. The cost depends on what you want, you can read about the plans here. http://www.pagepluscellular.com/
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    When you consider that the Thunderbolt is a 4G LTE phone with a SIM card (and therefore different activation mechanism), it would probably be even more difficult to activate a Thunderbolt on Verizon without a dataplan than a 3G only smartphone. Just a guess, as EVERY 4G LTE phone they offer is a smartphone that requires a data plan.
    It runs 3g and 4g but can't be activated without the SIM....it is for the 4g. The Incredible2 is a 3g and still requires a data plan. All smartphones whether blackberry 3g and 4 g. No getting around it

    Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  24. #24  
    tropper's Avatar
    Smarty Pants

    Posts
    827 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    The only way you can do it is to go to a Verizon prepaid prepay store
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Without a $30 data plan?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrorProxy View Post
    So.. how does one start using mnvo?.. What are the requirements? How much does it cost?


    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B