Google VVM vs VZW VVM?

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting. I have used VZ VVM since it started a few years ago. I had it on my blackberry and now in my TB for several months. I have never had any issues with sound or quality. Very interesting how some have had issues and some have not. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I mainly use my TB in a business manner and travel around the country. No issues

I also don?t mind paying, it really not a big deal in the whole picture. At least if it works.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So tell me...
Now why would anyone pay VZW to get less?
If you don't have a data connection, or have roaming data turned off when you're out of the country, can you still call your Voicemail manually on Google VVM and listen to your VM the old fashioned way like you can with VZW VVM? Without a data connection, in the same situations as above, do you still get a notification bar notification of a VM like you do with VZW VVM?

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kaufmansm

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
+1 for google voice. I was a youmail fan until they raised the rates. I tried Google voice as a alternative and love it. never looking back!

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have a data connection, or have roaming data turned off when you're out of the country, can you still call your Voicemail manually on Google VVM and listen to your VM the old fashioned way like you can with VZW VVM? Without a data connection, in the same situations as above, do you still get a notification bar notification of a VM like you do with VZW VVM?

I don't even keep a widget on the home screen. If I get a voice mail, I just open Google VM through the icon on the notification bar.
Any data, including 1X, will download the Google transcript and the wave file for you to list to. I guess that could be an issue out of the country with no WiFi, but it is a non-issue for me. Of course any online PC will let you log in and listen/read your VM. Can you get VZW VM from any PC?

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that stops me from trying is the set up process.

It is like 3 clicks. You just choose "dont use Google voice to make any calls" skip making it your default Verizon voice mail ans you are done.

I think initially you have to call the number to register your phone with Google voice but you can.always switch back.

I believe you are a root user so it shouldn't be an issue if you have been able to root.

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just read the reviews of gv in the marketplace the the ones from the past week are pretty bad. All sorts of problems.

Are you forced to allow google to take over sms if you use google voice?

Can google vvm be set up from within its app or are you forced to set up on the computer first if you don't already have gv?

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
You guys should avoid Google voice at all costs.

I don't use it for anything but...

Voicemail.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Because I read a complaint about it in market google voice app reviews.

There are a ton of folks that say it takes over your phone too in the reviews. The setup could be confusing though as it requires reading. Lol.

bigsyd

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
No idea why someone would think that. Doesn't touch the SMS.

Exactly! Why would they think that. Now, yes, its true that you can text from within Google Voice. but that is just icing on the cake if you ask me. I never use their sms. I use my normal SMS via Verizon and GoSMS.

The think I like about Google Voice is that they give you a new number to USE ONLY IF YOU WANT TO USE IT. I use Google Voice but rarely use the Google number I have because so many people have my Verizon number. The cool thing is that Google Voice catches my missed calls on either of the two numbers.

Gotta love Google Voice.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
For those knowledgeable with Google Voice...

I've had a Google Voice number for a long time. Just don't use it. I tested it a few times by just calling it, and it worked. After reading this thread I decided to try leaving myself a voicemail by dialing my GV number from a land line. Worked. I got a text message transcript of my Google Voicemail on my Thunderbolt via the normal text message notification bar notification (with the scrolling transcript in the notification bar -- cute). Anyway, now I have a couple of questions...

1) After calling my Google Voice number I got a message saying "The Google Voice Subscriber is not available right now", can this be changed/personalized? Enouugh to get the "Google" advertisement out of it?

2) After receiving the Google Voicemail text message/transcription on my Thunderbolt, how do I best access the actual voicemail? I called my Google Voicemail number from my Thunderbolt and I could access the actual voicemail in the "normal" way (i.e. "you have a new voicemail, press 1 to listen", etc.), but with Verizon Visual Voicemail all I have to do is to tap on the Visual Voicemail listing and it immediately plays the voicemail to me (no calling involved). And I do mean immediately. Can Google do this?

Thanks,

-Frank

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For those knowledgeable with Google Voice...

I've had a Google Voice number for a long time. Just don't use it. I tested it a few times by just calling it, and it worked. After reading this thread I decided to try leaving myself a voicemail by dialing my GV number from a land line. Worked. I got a text message transcript of my Google Voicemail on my Thunderbolt via the normal text message notification bar notification (with the scrolling transcript in the notification bar -- cute). Anyway, now I have a couple of questions...

1) After calling my Google Voice number I got a message saying "The Google Voice Subscriber is not available right now", can this be changed/personalized? Enouugh to get the "Google" advertisement out of it?

2) After receiving the Google Voicemail text message/transcription on my Thunderbolt, how do I best access the actual voicemail? I called my Google Voicemail number from my Thunderbolt and I could access the actual voicemail in the "normal" way (i.e. "you have a new voicemail, press 1 to listen", etc.), but with Verizon Visual Voicemail all I have to do is to tap on the Visual Voicemail listing and it immediately plays the voicemail to me (no calling involved). And I do mean immediately. Can Google do this?

Thanks,

-Frank

To answer your question and a few other questions posted recently...

First of all, you'll want to install the Google Voice app on your phone if you want the full "Visual Voicemail experience". When you get the notification, just go to the voice app, and your message will be there waiting...just hit play. This is almost identical to Verizon's Visual Voicemail, you just go to a different app to get it.

Most of the settings for GV need to be setup on via the webpage.
https://www.google.com/voice
From here, you can establish what kind of supplemental notifications you want as well (GMail and/or SMS)

As far as the GV app "taking over your phone", that just seems ridiculous. I've been using it for months with no issues. Just be sure that your settings are configured accordingly. GV does have SMS options, but I don't use them...you don't have to either.

Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
To answer your question and a few other questions posted recently...

First of all, you'll want to install the Google Voice app on your phone if you want the full "Visual Voicemail experience". When you get the notification, just go to the voice app, and your message will be there waiting...just hit play. This is almost identical to Verizon's Visual Voicemail, you just go to a different app to get it.

Most of the settings for GV need to be setup on via the webpage.
https://www.google.com/voice
From here, you can establish what kind of supplemental notifications you want as well (GMail and/or SMS)

As far as the GV app "taking over your phone", that just seems ridiculous. I've been using it for months with no issues. Just be sure that your settings are configured accordingly. GV does have SMS options, but I don't use them...you don't have to either.
Thanks. About the greeting personolization... can you get "Google" out of it? The ony reason I ask is because I think it will confuse callers who might think they dialed the wrong number. I mean "Google who"?

-Frank