looks like I'm running out of room ???

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
HI all and Happy Holidays!

I haven't been here in what seems like eons. I still consider myself to be a "just slightly more than novice" Android user so I'm in need of your help if you would please.

When I go to Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications I'm suddenly seeing what appears to be a scary message on the bottom of my screen. It shows 443MB used and 2.2GB free. I've tried to update some apps and they hang so I'm assuming it's because there's no room -- eeks!

Seems like if there wasn't so much bloatware I wouldn't be having this problem but I'm not about root. I don't feel comfortable performing a root as I don't have enough Android experience to handle this and I sure don't have the time especially if I screw it up!

I'm assuming that I need to move some apps to my SD card -- yes? no? I've never done that and I know some of them state not to put on one's SD card. What's the easiest way to determine which ones can and can't go there? Must I uninstall and then re-install ON the SD card?

In simple language, please tell me the best and easiest way to correct this? Thank you!

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If you have 2.2GB free, you are in no danger of running out of space. However, if you are noticing hang ups, you may need to reinstall an app, especially after the updates. Or clear cache and data on the apps in question. You will basically be starting over from scratch with that app, so do this sparingly.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you have 2.2 GB of application memory free, you have plenty of space left. 2.2 GB is roughly 2,200 MB. If you're having trouble updating it must be some other issue. Are you seeing any error messages when you try to update?

Sent using Tapatalk

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the 32 gig SD card that came with the phone? If so, moving apps to the SD card is easy. There is an app in the market called Apps to SD. There is both a free and pro version. Makes the process quick and easy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
How much room do you have left on your SD card? Maybe the apps are trying to put some files on your SD card and it is full of music, videos, pictures....whatever.

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When I had updates hang it was the supplied SD card having issues. I replaced it. If you have a way to mount microSD card to your computer (SD card adapter or USB apdater) you can try the following: Some have had luck using computer to run Checkdisk on it. More have had to reformat it using computer. Very low quality micro SD cards to have bad sectors already. Mine happen within two months of get my Thunderbolt.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
2.2GB free on internal storage is plenty.
Do NOT move apps to SD unless you really need to, and know what you are doing. This can cause its own set of problems.
Just uninstall and reinstall the offending apps.
Find out how to put the SD card in a desktop PC and run a disk check on it.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have every app I have ever downloaded that is movable moved to my SD card with zero issues whatsoever. If it says it's movable, it's movable.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Your are not running out of space. It's another issue. Try removing your SDcard, running chkdsk on it from your PC, reinserting and retrying.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much folks! This new blurb at the bottom w/the size specs must just be as a courtesy or something. Caused a little panic because I for some reason translated this into "eeeeeks! doooo something" and never thought it might just be informational in nature.

I was able to update the hanging apps - must have been a temporary network thing or something.

As long as I have room I'm not going to invite trouble by moving things. It's probably very easy for most of you and works like a charm but I manage to get myself in trouble if I venture outside my comfort zone sometimes. Murphy's Law LOVES me ;) Chicken? Guilty as charged!

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
if you go to menu-settings-applications-manage applications, you can go thru the apps and see what can be moved. If the option to move to sd card is highlighted, you can move it. if you cant move it, it wont let you.

You don't need to download an app to do it. The only ones I wouldn't put on sd card are any apps that you are using a widget for. If you did move one to the sd card and are using a widget, you will see the widget missing from your home screen if you restart. Then you would have to move the app back to the phone memory...

Your not rooted so there really isn't anything you can do to screw up the phone. have fun, look around try new things, thats the fun of android..

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You don't need an app to move it, but the app is a time saver if you have a lot of apps that need moved. Doing that process for 100+ apps is both tedious and time consuming.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
As long as I have room I'm not going to invite trouble by moving things.
Smart move, IMHO. I started in March 2011 on release date with approx. 2.4GB free space on my SD card and 2.5GB free on internal. I've have now loaded about 95 apps and I have 1.9GB free on my SDcard and 1.85GB free on internal. I really don't see a need to "move" anything. I take the default on all installs. I dunno... maybe if you had 250+ apps or some unusual situation.. Just my opinion.

-Frank

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome