Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dropping Data, not from outage

I work in big box retail stores and have 4G coverage everywhere I travel. When I go to the back of these stores, my service will drop to 3G or 1x, understandably due to all the bricks and metal surrounding me. Same thing happens when leaving my house, switching from wifi to mobile network. I get the issue is radio switching, but I don't understand why the phone makes no attempt to locate a network the second its able to relocate one without a restart or by turning the mobile network off then on. Any ideas? Or is this isolated to our beloved TB or across the spectrum with 4G phones?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Default Re: Dropping Data, not from outage

I was rooted running BAMF Soab and then N0NS3N53 when I noticed that I was losing service all together. Sometimes a reboot would fix it and when it doesn't, a hard reset is in order. On Soab, when the service would cut out it would say in the notification dropdown "PUK code is locked". I have the code and pin but have not found the screen to enter it. I have went as far as unrooting and have not lost service one bit. Could it be a rooting problem?

I have also noticed that with the new radios, only when switching from wifi to mobile network, that it would hang in limbo with no data service at all unless I turned the network on and off.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm running stock. But how often its happening is troubling. Anytime I get on wifi and leave the wifi spot, the mobile network can take 10-15 minutes to switch back. In a world where my cellphone is my life line, it's troubling that it may not work when I need it to.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by weave majjik View Post
    I'm running stock. But how often its happening is troubling. Anytime I get on wifi and leave the wifi spot, the mobile network can take 10-15 minutes to switch back. In a world where my cellphone is my life line, it's troubling that it may not work when I need it to.

The Internet (data) is your life-line?

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Have you tried the battery and SIM pull for at least five minutes? This will allow the phone to reset and reprovision itself on the network and may improve the connection stability. Otherwise, I'd recommend leaving the phone on mobile data at all times. I find it works better and minimizes the need to switch networks and the subsequent delays during transition. I also strongly believe the phone works better when you turn off the other radios (ex. Wi-Fi, GPS) so it doesn't have to manage them or there are not multiple radios/signals active searching for signal and possibly interfering with each other.

On the rare occasion I do lose mobile data, either toggling mobile data off/on or airplane mode always does the trick. I've also noticed that since the 2.11.605.5 update, the phone almost immediately locks onto 4G LTE on boot up. As soon as it shows signal bars, the LTE icon comes up. Prior to that update, it would take up to a minute to lock on. Overall, data connectivity is solid for me on these latest software/radio versions. Although, that could also be partly due to the strong LTE signal here. YMMV
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    The Internet (data) is your life-line?

-Frank
    My phone won't dial a call without signal. If something were happen that would require an emergency phone call, yes, my phone is my life line.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

My phone won't dial a call without signal. If something were happen that would require an emergency phone call, yes, my phone is my life line.

The phone will dial/receive voice calls fine without a 3G or 4G connection. Voice does not require data. Neither does Text messaging.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1

I'm running Skyraider Zeus and have noticed this more in the last couple weeks... just tried a battery pull for a couple minutes to see if it will act better. Seems for me it was the last outage that started all my troubles.

I just got my TB last fri and have had a couple of instances the last two days where it just completely lost data connection. I had to reboot to get it back. This morning when I rebooted I actually got a screen that gave me the option to reboot in safe mode. I turned it off and back on( after 30 seconds or so) and it booted up fine. Not really sure what is going on but I don't feel really good about having these problems after 6 days. The phone is of course stock since i just got it, and i really like it except this issue. Anyone have any ideas? Did I just get a lemon?

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xhunter187 View Post
    I have also noticed that with the new radios, only when switching from wifi to mobile network, that it would hang in limbo with no data service at all unless I turned the network on and off.
    I have noticed this as well when switching from wifi to mobile network. It is not every time, but maybe a few times a week. I am running non-rooted. Usually cycling airplane mode on and off will restore the data connection, but it is definitely an annoyance. I need to leave wifi on because Verizon has very poor coverage in my neighborhood. I have a femtocell just to get cell coverage inside my house, but data is too slow without wifi.