Thunderbolt will not charge at all

saramcallister

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
My Thunderbolt was fine and now all of a sudden it will not charge on the house charger or car charger. I have even tried other peoples chargers to see if something is wrong with mine. Nothing is working and my battery is totally dead.

I don't think it is a battery issue though from reading the other posts. It seems like it is something else.

Can someone PLEASE help?!?! I am desperate! This is my ONLY form of communication for a home with 3 small children.

Thanks

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Go into a Verizon store and have them verify using another battery.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

saramcallister

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
What's the "OP"?

I'll try taking it to VZW store but last time I took it there for something they were no help because I didn't buy if from VZW (I bought it unused, second-hand from a friend).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What's the "OP"?

I'll try taking it to VZW store but last time I took it there for something they were no help because I didn't buy if from VZW (I bought it unused, second-hand from a friend).

only the original purchaser has warranty (per the warranty booklet included with the phone). Doesn't hurt to try though.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna give it try going to a VZW store today to get them to check a new battery. I'll let ya know what happens.

Look at your battery. If there is any swelling that is a sign something is wrong. Have you ever had an accident and gotten it wet?

There is a company called Go Tronics in Arizona at the malls. I don't know if they are national but they repair phones.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt was fine and now all of a sudden it will not charge on the house charger or car charger. I have even tried other peoples chargers to see if something is wrong with mine. Nothing is working and my battery is totally dead.

I don't think it is a battery issue though from reading the other posts. It seems like it is something else.

Can someone PLEASE help?!?! I am desperate! This is my ONLY form of communication for a home with 3 small children.

Thanks

What I would look at also is how good is the connection of the plug on your charger (the end that goes into your phone). Mine tends to be loose on some plugs and better on others.

When you plug it in are you seeing an orange light in the area where you listen to a phone call?. (it will be GREEN if it is fully charged).

I would reccommend only using Verizon chargers and plugs.....but I did buy a univeral charger for my car from TARGET ($4.99) and so far it is working really good.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't recommend universal chargers. For one thing car chargers don't have a memory and don't know when the phone is completely charged. You can charge on home wall charger without concerns. It knows . Universal chargers can ruin batteries . Verizon warranty on battery is one year. But if damaged and not using manufacturer chargers they will void the warranty. My car charger is Verizon and also has a port that I can charge my BT too if needed. I had to get a new one cause the port is different on TB than my previous incredible. Got my corporate discount. I wont use off market products.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I would reccommend only using Verizon chargers and plugs.....but I did buy a univeral charger for my car from TARGET ($4.99) and so far it is working really good.
Exactly.

The USB type chargers are "supposed" to be all created equal -- 'cuz it's a "standard". Obviously some are built better than others, just like everything else in this world. But the fact is, any USB charger should work to charge the phone. Where you have to be a little more careful is if you expect it to also transmit data to/from your PC. Some have that "extra wire" and some don't. Most do. I'd day 95 percent do. But, some don't.

-Frank

irie27

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine would charge, only to about 90%. I tried chargers, batteries, ROMS, kernels, unrooted, stock ROM and nothing made a difference. Had to get a CLNR and now everything is working great. Rooted using stock ROM and getting almost 20hrs use. I've read that others were having charging issues with the Thunderbolt but no real cause as of why.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
For one thing car chargers don't have a memory and don't know when the phone is completely charged. You can charge on home wall charger without concerns. It knows . Universal chargers can ruin batteries .

This is nonsense.

I design and test these products for a living. Been doing it for a long long time.
The charger needs to be 5 volts. It can be from a universal charger or a PC or an HTC charger. If you want it to be a fast charge, you need to short D+ and D-. This is a standard. Regular charge rate is near 350ma, and fast charge is near 800ma.. Both at 5 volts.
If I plug the USB cable into any PC, it will charge my phone. It doesn't need to be a DELL or an HP, but any USB port. Verizon (HTC) doesn't require me to buy a Verizon laptop to charge and sync my phone. I can plug it into any USB port on any brand PC, and charge it. The same is true of the wall charger or car charger, anything with 5 volts and enough current works.
The phone itself has the charge control electronics in it. The car charger/wall charger/PC port, is stupid. The phone monitors the voltage, temperature and current. It doesn't care what brand the 5 volt source is. There is also safety circuitry in the battery pack itself to prevent over and undercharging of the pack, which could be dangerous. The phone and battery have the smarts, and the external charger/PC is a dumb device.

Universal charger quality may be questionable, but none of them have any smarts and do not control anything in the phone, The phone does all of the controlling.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What I would look at also is how good is the connection of the plug on your charger (the end that goes into your phone). Mine tends to be loose on some plugs and better on others.

When you plug it in are you seeing an orange light in the area where you listen to a phone call?. (it will be GREEN if it is fully charged).

I bought an oem Palm car charger for $4 shipped, it works fine as well, any 5v micro usb charger will work, but I recommend a quality one that can give 5v/1a. Some chargers give less than 1a, and will still work, but will charge at a slower rate, even perhaps at less than power draw, depending on usage.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE HD smartphone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't recommend universal chargers. For one thing car chargers don't have a memory and don't know when the phone is completely charged. You can charge on home wall charger without concerns. It knows . Universal chargers can ruin batteries . Verizon warranty on battery is one year. But if damaged and not using manufacturer chargers they will void the warranty. My car charger is Verizon and also has a port that I can charge my BT too if needed. I had to get a new one cause the port is different on TB than my previous incredible. Got my corporate discount. I wont use off market products.

It doesn't matter what charger you use, the phone will stop accepting charge once full.

A bad charger can ruin a phone or battery due to bad voltage or spikes, but the same can be true of using dirty power source.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE HD smartphone.

doobie581

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
i was having a similar problem...the charger that came with my thunderbolt, wasn't charging my phone, or it would charge it one day, then i'd plug it in overnite and it would still be very low or at 0 in the morning... thought it was my phone...tried charging my girlfriends phone (lg) and was having the same problem. luckily, i had another micro usb charger from a couple old phones i had before my bolt, and it's working fine. i think it was an issue with the usb cable provided with our chargers...i'm goin into verizon this weekend to pick up an extra charger...hope this helps :)

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
i was having a similar problem...the charger that came with my thunderbolt, wasn't charging my phone, or it would charge it one day, then i'd plug it in overnite and it would still be very low or at 0 in the morning... thought it was my phone...tried charging my girlfriends phone (lg) and was having the same problem. luckily, i had another micro usb charger from a couple old phones i had before my bolt, and it's working fine. i think it was an issue with the usb cable provided with our chargers...i'm goin into verizon this weekend to pick up an extra charger...hope this helps :)

Long story:
I designed a charger in a bracket on a motorcycle handlebar. I had a problem where the connector on the charge cable would go bad and stop charging phones. The charge light would come on, but no charge current to speak of because of the poor contact. Replace the plug on the end, and it would work again for a long while. I thought it was rain water getting in the plug and corroding it. It turned out that the design of the phone clip was unintentionally making me bend the connector when I unplugged it. The connector is as we know, flat on both sides. When it would get bent, it would make the connector very slightly oval shaped. Now when it happens, I simply gently squeeze the MIDDLE of the plug, so it is slightly thinner in the middle again. And run Battery Monitor Widget to verify the current.

Short story:
If the plug gets bent slightly, the charge light will be on but there is no charge current to speak of. Replace the cable or slightly squeeze the plug thinner in the middle. You need an app to monitor the current.

Reactions: doobie581

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My car charger is Verizon and also has a port that I can charge my BT too if needed. I had to get a new one cause the port is different on TB than my previous incredible.

The charging port in the Incredible and Thunderbolt are the same. I use a car charger purchased from VZW that works for both devices. You just have to turn the plug upside down for the Thunderbolt. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan