wireless network using Thunderbolt?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

Considering getting a tablet or a Kindle Fire and I'm a networking dummy. Is there a way to use my Thunderbolt wirelessly with a KF or tablet?

I'm not able to get on any network @ work, it's is locked down and ain't no way they're gonna give me the password. I'm to far from home to use my home network but I can get online w/my Thunderbolt (I'd just love a bigger screen!)

I'd also like to share a wireless network with my co-worker who has a brand new KF but I'm NOT wanting nor willing to do anything that's illegal or not allowed either as far as VZW goes. I do have an unlimited data plan.

Possible? If so can you provide me with simple instructions or point me to where I can get them?

Thanks!

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely.
'Legally', you just run "mobile Hotspot". It will cost you. I think it is $30 a month over your current plan.

ji001

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
like Worwig just said.

works great this way. especially if you have unlimited data, less to worry about.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I think you will only be allowed 2 GB of data even if you have unlimited with the mobile hotspot add on.

I believe you are correct. but Verizon had (may still have) a promotion to get unlimited tethering data for $30 exta/month.

as for the non legal way, Root and use a wireless tether for root users. it is free, plenty of people go this rout and never run into any issues with verizon. not that it makes it right, but just another option if you want to break one of your rules :)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't break the rules. Not only would my conscious never give me peace but I work at a cop shop so legal is the only way to go for me.

Deb via TapaTalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have the "legal" Verizon Mobile Hotspot on my Verizon Account. It works great (and while I know there are ways to get it for free, and have even used those in the past, I need MH for work, so I can write it off anyway and prefer to keep things on the up-and-up).

I don't know if they even offer the "unlimited" version of MH anymore, but if they do, you need to be on an unlimited phone plan to even be able to get it. If not, I'd assume that even with the tiered data mobile hotspot plan you'd still do fine if you primary intention was just to tether a KF or other tablet to it, assuming you're mainly just websurfing and stuff like that (if you start streaming movies, you may have an issue with data).

One nice thing about Thunderbolt is that it is one of the only phones on Verizon that can do simultaneous voice and data, so you can still get calls while the MH is turned on (which most Verizon phones cannot do).

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
One nice thing about Thunderbolt is that it is one of the only phones on Verizon that can do simultaneous voice and data, so you can still get calls while the MH is turned on (which most Verizon phones cannot do).
Yeah, I have the official MHS too and I use this feature all the time for my IT clients when I provide remote assistance. Talking and using the Internet at the same time. Fantastic. Don't know how I lived without it so long. Well, yes I do, I searched around for a Wifi place that had a seat with a plug :D When you don't go to a Wifi place (that is overrun with people looking for plugs), you can find plugs anywhere. Added bonus! :D

-Frank

Last edited:

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I have the official MHS too and I use this feature all the time for my IT clients when I provide remote assistance. Talking and using the Internet at the same time. Fantastic. Don't know how I lived without it so long. Well, yes I do, I searched around for a Wifi place that had a seat with a plug :D When you don't go to a Wifi place (that is overrun with people looking for plugs), you can find plugs anywhere Added bonus! :D

-Frank

Exact same for me. I also have to go to remote offices frequently that don't allow people to connect to their network with personal equipment (which is 100% understandable).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely.
'Legally', you just run "mobile Hotspot". It will cost you. I think it is $30 a month over your current plan.

'Legally' you can run mhs for $30 per mo, or any tethering app will also be legal. Note that using a tethering app w/o paying the mhs fee is legal, but it may violate TOS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463