Super slow 4G speeds

gex80

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Basically I have a rooted Froyo running the following radio.
1.12.605.6 RUU
CDMA: 1.16.00.0223
LTE: 0.01.49.0224

I live in Newark a 4G area with a 4G tower in the city and I'm getting really slow 4g speeds. my 3g is at about 1Mbps down with my 4g barely making 126Kbps down. I've tried:
  • a stock GB rom
  • new radios (those would not get a signal)
  • restored my phone
  • went to an old back up
  • went to stock rom
  • I switched airplane mode/ mobile network/wireless/data roaming settings on and off
  • yanked the sim card let it sit turned off without it for a bit

and I still get really slow speeds. I called Verizon for help but since I don't have access to a phone other than my thunderbolt since I'm away at college, they can't help me while I'm on the phone for obvious reasons. They also said they haven't had any reports of 4g issues in my area either.

So what could be the cause of my issues?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have seen some slow speeds, slower than what you see on lte in very low signal areas. Try different areas outdoors to see if speed increases, especially try to sit under a verizon tower. You can also compare with others running 4GLTE to see what they get.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE HD smartphone.

gex80

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Idk the location of the tower but i know its in town. My home is the next town over(20 minute drive down highway) and I still get slow speeds. Both are within verizon's coverage map. During the fall and summer months I was fine with speeds. Sometimes rivaling my FIOS connections. But all through the winter I've mostly been on Wi-Fi now till I moved into my dorm so I never noticed it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Make sure that the back cover is firmly on. Also, maybe try another sim. Are others with 4GLTE phones in your area experiencing the same problems?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE HD smartphone.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that Verizon has been having issues as of late with LTE...I don't know if it your particular area. You might want to call VZW and ask.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm using a different rom and a different radio but I also have slow download speed 1/4 as fast as my wifi. I remember at first it was actually faster than wifi.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Idk the location of the tower but i know its in town. My home is the next town over(20 minute drive down highway) and I still get slow speeds. Both are within verizon's coverage map. During the fall and summer months I was fine with speeds. Sometimes rivaling my FIOS connections. But all through the winter I've mostly been on Wi-Fi now till I moved into my dorm so I never noticed it.

OpenSignalMaps has an app that will help you locate the nearest tower. They are also (like Sensorly and CoreMetrics) building a user-contributed cell signal strength map - so if you download it make sure to throw some data their way. :)