Is it worth it?

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
So I have an iPhone 4 that I want to trade for a Thunderbolt on xda. Is it worth it? Is the Bolt better than the iPhone 4?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would definately say so....

When you compare what you can do with an Android over Fruit..... Especially when you talk about jail breaking verses rooting...

I would just make sure your getting a clear and free phone and not one tagged as stolen or racked up account that person owes money on and the carrier won't release the device to be activated until the bill is paid. I just recently read a post regarding this exact problem... Person thought they got a great price and phone only to find out the bill was outrageous and the carrier wouldn't allow the phone to be released/reactivated until the bill was paid.

Reactions: rosser

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
If no one says clean ESN in the ad I would be skeptical. And as a consumer be responsible. Ask the right questions. If the seller is evasive then don't deal with that person

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to largely to with "Forgetful" there. My company issued us all new phones to replace our old Blackberries in August, and most people chose iPhone4 (not 4S; it wasn't out yet).

I'm very happy with my decision. I got the flexibility to add an extended battery (which I did), add more memory (which I have not, the included 32GB SIM is plenty!), change out the keyboard (currently running a Graffiti-based "keyboard", ah the memories of PalmPilot character recognition with Android accuracy in recognizing the letters!), change the launcher (Go Launcher), etc. None of this is possible on iPhones. I also got an 8MPIX camera before the iPhone had one available, and it's replaced my Lumix as my daily camera.

But a lot of people are not geeks like me. They want a phone with some extras. They don't want to get into the icky world of having to replace a battery or a SIM card; they'll simply buy a new phone with more memory. They want their phone backed up automatically. They run Windows or Mac so they can use iTunes (I run Linux).

Meh, they're both nice devices. I like flexibility. Some people prefer simplicity.

But if I could upgrade a iPhone4 to an Android, I'd do it in a heartbeat. An iPhone4S? If I had one of those, maybe I'd hesitate a bit, but in my case I'd probably still do it.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So I have an iPhone 4 that I want to trade for a Thunderbolt on xda. Is it worth it? Is the Bolt better than the iPhone 4?

I would check to see if it is a legit phone. If I am not mistaken, the Thunderebolt doesn't use the ESN number to activate, it uses the SIM card to do that. So, if you have a good SIM card then you should be ok. But, if it is a HOT phone, you might want to steer clear. I would call Verizon and ask there policy of activating a phone that you are trading to.

My daughter went from a TBolt to an old Blackberry (don't ask me why....I tried to convince her otherwise). She said she went into VZW and it wasn't a problem at all. She got the phone from her boyfriend...his old one.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't trade for it. you could probably sell your iphone 4 for more than what you could sell a tbolt for... and I'm sure you could find a tbolt on craigslist for less than what you sell the iphone4 for. as much as I love my tbolt, I know it's worth far less than an iphone 4.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trade for it. you could probably sell your iphone 4 for more than what you could sell a tbolt for... and I'm sure you could find a tbolt on craigslist for less than what you sell the iphone4 for. as much as I love my tbolt, I know it's worth far less than an iphone 4.

That's a good idea. Unless you iPhone is really messed up you should be able to make money on this situation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
EBay is safer. If you plan to get a phone off Craigslist you need to tell the seller they have to meet you at a Verizon store. If the seller says no to that beware. That's not a good person to deal with. I have sold phones on Craigslist and I told the buyers they had to meet me at a Verizon store
There are unethical ppl who will seek out ppl on Craigslist.
Be careful
Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX