1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Still a strange ringtone issue.

My phone will randomly change all of my custome ringtones to different ones. Not like before,.... they all change to songs that I have in my music folder, but have not set as ringtones anywhere. I have maybe a dozen contacts with custom ringtones, and all of them switch to songs from the same album, and always to the same songs (each person has a different song from the other, but the same song each time). Very strange. Anyone else? Anyone with a suggestion to fix it?

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Re: Still a strange ringtone issue.

This has been happening to me whenever I physically switch batteries since upgrading to 605.9. I have not been able to find a fix for it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah,... it's weird, and seems to occur @ battery switches & restarts. I'm hoping someone has a fix.

No fixes I've seen, always been an issue. Doesn't really bother me though

Quote Originally Posted by lrod1843 View Post
    This has been happening to me whenever I physically switch batteries since upgrading to 605.9. I have not been able to find a fix for it.
    Do a factory reset. Inconvenient, yes. But resolves it every time.

I was thrilled (well, sort of) to see someone else having the exact same problem I've been having, except mine is with the HTC Sensation. It started out when i was at the gym and I noticed that the notifications for Google Talk and Google Voice had both changed, the one for Google Talk changing to a snippet of one of the songs I'd listened to in the prior half hour or so. Thought that was screwy and just changed it back, but a period of time later it changed all them back again.

After going through several cycles of this over the ensuing week or two I got sick of it and figured just deleting the song it was playing would fix it... not quite. Now it periodically clears the notifications for Google Talk and Voice entirely, leaving no ringtone selected whatsoever. Changing them back results in the same thing - works fine for a while, then I notice I'm not getting notification sounds anymore.

However, it's not changing ALL the ringtones all the time. Usually the regular phone ringer is intact. Also, in an attempt to troubleshoot this, I removed Handcent SMS and replaced it with Go SMS and set up a new notification sound for it so I'd be aware if that sound was changed... nope. So far it seems to only be affecting Google Talk and Google Voice and it's making me crazy. REALLY don't want to have to do a factory reset but I think it might be inevitable.

same issue here. Need another update to hopefully fix this. It was fine until the last update.

ROM
    unrooted 2.11.605.19

I was having my ringtone/notification randomly change every restart/battery change after 605.9. Haven't had the issue in a few weeks now. What I think fixed it was adding a third sound set. All three have the same sounds. Not 100% this cured it.... but it worked better than purging all of my music/EQ apps. Hope this helps.
    LG EnV => BB Storm => BB Bold 9650 => HTC Thunderbolt
    all with extended batteries......

I've done the factory reset... Will post here if the ringtone wackiness happens again.

I will say a factory reset will only last until you reboot it. Still have the same issue as the rest of you's.

just for the heck of it i rebooted the phone after the reset - everything stayed as it should have. Crossing my fingers that that's the end of it.

If you're rooted you can copy your songs or ringtones into the system ringtones of the phone. You just have to make sure to set the permissions the same as the ones system ringtones. Name them something different from the original so you can tell them apart from your current ringtones. Now reboot so system finds them. Then change all your ringtones to the ones you just put in with the system ringtones. I did this once when Fatboy (I think) first told me about it and haven't had the problem once since. Quite a while now. Months anyway.
    Notice the top two ringtones are mine.

Is anyone else still having this issue?

I have a custom ringtone on my phone. Its the same ringtone for everyone on the device and the ringtone is a song that is stored on the device itself. Every time i turn off my and power it up again the ringtone has switched from the song to a random selection of any one of the stock ringtones. This is getting frustrating as I never know when my phone is ringing since everyday it can be a different tone.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by heeltoe View Post
    Is anyone else still having this issue?

I have a custom ringtone on my phone. Its the same ringtone for everyone on the device and the ringtone is a song that is stored on the device itself. Every time i turn off my and power it up again the ringtone has switched from the song to a random selection of any one of the stock ringtones. This is getting frustrating as I never know when my phone is ringing since everyday it can be a different tone.
    What do you mean it is "custom" and "stored on the device itself"? Also, are you sure you haven't accidentally or purposefully cross-linked certain contacts with Facebook or something with some other ringtone specified somewhere else, somehow?

As long as you are running the Gingerbread official update, this should be a no-brainier. Upon boot your phone will automagically index all the sound files on your internal and external (SD Card) memory. It is good not to have duplicate ringtone files on your device. In other words, only one copy.

Where to put them? Lots of old wives tales here, anywhere should do. However, just for completeness, since mine work well, I'll describe my arrangement. I have put mine in a ringtone folder like this (I had to create all these, they weren't there by default) on my SD Card.

{sdcard}
    media\alarms
    media\notifications
    media\ringtones

Works for me. However, like I said, any folder should do. I created the folders by using Astro File Manager which I downloaded from Google Play. You could do it on your computer via an SD Card adapter.

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 04-26-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    What do you mean it is "custom" and "stored on the device itself"? Also, are you sure you haven't accidentally or purposefully cross-linked certain contacts with Facebook or something with some other ringtone specified somewhere else, somehow?

As long as you are running the Gingerbread official update, this should be a no-brainier. Upon boot your phone will automagically index all the sound files on your internal and external (SD Card) memory. It is good not to have duplicate ringtone files on your device. In other words, only one copy.

Where to put them? Lots of old wives tales here, anywhere should do. However, just for completeness, since mine work well, I'll describe my arrangement. I have put mine in a ringtone folder like this (I had to create all these, they weren't there by default) on my SD Card.

{sdcard}
    media\alarms
    media\notifications
    media\ringtones

Works for me. However, like I said, any folder should do. I created the folders by using Astro File Manager which I downloaded from Google Play. You could do it on your computer via an SD Card adapter.

-Frank
    Custom as in its a song/mp3 not a ringtone that came with the phone. Stored on the device itself as in not stored on the sd card (iirc). I apologize if that is not the correct terminology. I am certain I have not cross linked the contacts. I am running the stock/official software and updates. I have tried to ensure no duplicate files exist.

I have followed your advice and essentially duplicated what you have done. I have rebooted the phone and can report that this has not solved the issue. This issue never used to occur and I believe it only started after the last update. Thanks for your help so far - any other suggestions?

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by heeltoe View Post
    Custom as in its a song/mp3 not a ringtone that came with the phone. Stored on the device itself as in not stored on the sd card (iirc). I apologize if that is not the correct terminology. I am certain I have not cross linked the contacts. I am running the stock/official software and updates. I have tried to ensure no duplicate files exist.

I have followed your advice and essentially duplicated what you have done. I have rebooted the phone and can report that this has not solved the issue. This issue never used to occur and I believe it only started after the last update. Thanks for your help so far - any other suggestions?
    I guess I'm out of suggestions. It seems the GB update actually fixed this issue for everyone else. So this is confusing. Also, if you are running stock, how did you get the ringtones on the phone's internal memory to begin with? You normally need root to do that.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    I guess I'm out of suggestions. It seems the GB update actually fixed this issue for everyone else. So this is confusing. Also, if you are running stock, how did you get the ringtones on the phone's internal memory to begin with? You normally need root to do that.

-Frank
    Shoot, I may be mistaken about the song on the on-board memory instead of the sd card. I wasn't sure in my earlier post either about that being 100% true. I noticed two copies of the song in the ringtone playlist and assumed one was on the sd and the other on the phone itself. I guess I'll just tough it out until the next update and hope that fixes it.

OK Now I thought it was weird this was happening. But now I see am not the only one.
    I changed it back to what it was and so far not a problem. But I do notice that some notifications are louder than others and I have the volume set to the loudest possible.
    And my speaker phone isn't as loud as it used to be.

My only complaints.
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1