Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Default HTC Thunderbolt: receiving random sms and mms

over the past week i have been receiving sms and mms from random numbers not in my contact list, but with my area code. i don't want to answer the because i have heard it could be spam. anyone know what to do or suggestions?

Default Re: receiving random sms and mms

Have you installed any new apps? If so try deleting them and seeing if the messages continue.
    Also, do the numbers look like full numbers? I.e. 916-xxx-xxxx or are they like five digits in length?

Could very well be spam. Do check your settings. Apps.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kls629 View Post
    over the past week i have been receiving sms and mms from random numbers not in my contact list, but with my area code. i don't want to answer the because i have heard it could be spam. anyone know what to do or suggestions?
    It all depends what they say. Could be fun! LOL

Seriously, spam of this type amounts to theft imo. I don't have unlimited text so they cost me money. I wish a law would be made to go after these villains

Try looking the numbers up on Phone Number Comments. If it's spam it will usually show up on here as others would be getting them too. I've never used it for texts but it works great for calls.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    Have you installed any new apps? If so try deleting them and seeing if the messages continue.
    Also, do the numbers look like full numbers? I.e. 916-xxx-xxxx or are they like five digits in length?
    i'll check any new apps i installed, not many.

but they are full 10 digit numbers
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    Could very well be spam. Do check your settings. Apps.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    spam through messages?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    It all depends what they say. Could be fun! LOL

Seriously, spam of this type amounts to theft imo. I don't have unlimited text so they cost me money. I wish a law would be made to go after these villains
    good thing i have unlimited texts, but they are not overwhelming. but what is weird is there are usually three different numbers texting me all around the same time. for example, yesterday at 1:30 i get one sms text, then at 4 i get a mms text from a different number
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncapp11 View Post
    Try looking the numbers up on Phone Number Comments. If it's spam it will usually show up on here as others would be getting them too. I've never used it for texts but it works great for calls.
    none of the numbers are on that website. the numbers have the same area code as me, but they are not anyone i know

Carrier
    Bamf Paradigm

did you recently post anything to Craigslist?
    i know it's an odd question--but that's where a lot of #-farming occurs and people get their # bombarded with spam after providing it on the public posting pages for items.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by project.in.process View Post
    did you recently post anything to Craigslist?
    i know it's an odd question--but that's where a lot of #-farming occurs and people get their # bombarded with spam after providing it on the public posting pages for items.
    no haven't posted anything on craigslist

Stop leaving your number in bathroom stalls. lol To help you out; you can block those numbers if you use GOSMS.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by an_icon View Post
    Stop leaving your number in bathroom stalls. lol To help you out; you can block those numbers if you use GOSMS.
    that was going to be my next question, how can i block these?

is this gosms? https://market.android.com/details?i...jb.gosms&hl=en

I'm actually getting the same thing. But the conversations that occasionally get sent to me are two-way conversations. One the other day was inviting several people to come over for brunch. They even were texting their exact street address and house number back and forth. So I google mapped it based on their area code and all the texts about their general locations, nearby intersections, etc were real. Had I been in their state or city, I would've gone over for brunch... I've had my phone number for over 10 years, too, so I know that's not it. Plus I've never been to the city or state the texts were coming from, nor know anyone that lives there.

It is especially creepy that I'm seeing both sides of the conversation....

There's several folks over in another thread complaining that they're not receiving any SMS/MMS - I guess we now know where they're all going! ;-)

Seriously, though, this sounds like something that you should all be contacting Verizon about - they should be able to figure out why you're getting bogus messages or threads. I'm guessing that it's something to do with the SIM; perhaps messed up programming.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

Also, make sure you check your cellular bill closely for any additional charges. I received an unsolicited text a couple of months ago that was offering some special service for $9.99/month and said to text "STOP" to a certain number to unsubscribe. Again, this wasn't anything I signed up for so I didn't want to text anything back and ignored it. I then saw a $9.99 charge on my Verizon bill for "premium messaging". I went to the local Verizon store and they used my phone to go ahead and text the "STOP" to the number and then blocked the number.

Apparently, a 2nd month $9.99 charge had already been billed to my Verizon account by the time they did that so the charge showed up again on my next bill. This time I called #611 (Verizon Customer Service) and they took care of it and after I complained about this being spam and not something I signed up for, they credited my account for both of those charges.

Carrier
    Bamf Paradigm

Quote Originally Posted by kls629 View Post
    that was going to be my next question, how can i block these?

is this gosms? https://market.android.com/details?i...jb.gosms&hl=en
    GoSMS allows you to add those undesirable #'s to a 'blacklist'---but that isn't blocking them.
    it simply puts them into a folder, other than your inbox, which isn't normally viewable unless you go looking for it.
    you still receive the messages--you just aren't notified of it. so, it isn't solving the problem at it's root. but it is a nice band-aid solution until you figure it out.
    kls629 likes this.

I know this thread is 2 years old but it's probably a hacker app that not many know about, its called "Random Fandom SMS" which is a spoof SMS chat. Its an underground type chat.