lte only? or CDMA+LTE

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
this will probably get me some negative posts, but hey, I have to ask...since I have alledgedly the worst battery life in the smartphone world!!! i'm in KC, a supposedly good 4G location. would it be easier on my battery to leave it in LTE Only Mode? or CDMA+LTE? I'm just a newbie, please be gentle.....;)

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
you better leaving where it is. if your on lte only mode you may run into a issue when you hit a Lte dead spot and you will lose all data connection and won't be able to make a phone calls

Reactions: johnriii

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
you better leaving where it is. if your on lte only mode you may run into a issue when you hit a Lte dead spot and you will lose all data connection and won't be able to make a phone calls

that makes sense. I would have to experiment, until I grow the stones to actually root my tbolt. I will root before I buy that hideous hunk of 2750 mah battery, and I'm scared crapless to root right now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Isn't there a mode for LTE with voice?

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I find myself using 4G the most when I'm on youtube, or any other site requiring streaming. luckily for me, I'm almost always within an hour or so from a charger, but in those intances that I'm not (baseball game, etc) I would like the best settings for this otherwise excellent smartphone.

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

you can lose data connection and still make phone calls and send text

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
this will probably get me some negative posts, but hey, I have to ask...since I have alledgedly the worst battery life in the smartphone world!!! i'm in KC, a supposedly good 4G location. would it be easier on my battery to leave it in LTE Only Mode? or CDMA+LTE? I'm just a newbie, please be gentle.....;)

Do you mean CDMA only? Not aware of an LTE only mode. I only see "LTE/CDMA" or just "CDMA only" under Network Mode (Menu, Settings, Wireless & network, Mobile networks).

You can try putting it on CDMA only for a while and see how it impacts battery life. But, from my experience, I think it has more to do with whether the phone has to search for signal and how much it switches in and out of data modes. I always leave it on the default LTE/CDMA and since LTE went live back in Oct. battery life has actually increased as the LTE signal is a lot stronger (at home and work and everwhere in between) so that it rarely if ever drops out of LTE. I've also noticed that with LTE, I get things done faster, thus the phone goes back to standby quicker than if I were using 3G. Anyway, your mileage may vary. :)

Reactions: johnriii

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean CDMA only? Not aware of an LTE only mode. I only see "LTE/CDMA" or just "CDMA only" under Network Mode (Menu, Settings, Wireless & network, Mobile networks).

You can try putting it on CDMA only for a while and see how it impacts battery life. But, from my experience, I think it has more to do with whether the phone has to search for signal and how much it switches in and out of data modes. I always leave it on the default LTE/CDMA and since LTE went live back in Oct. battery life has actually increased as the LTE signal is a lot stronger (at home and work and everwhere in between) so that it rarely if ever drops out of LTE. I've also noticed that with LTE, I get things done faster, thus the phone goes back to standby quicker than if I were using 3G. Anyway, your mileage may vary. :)

the LTE on\off switch has as the bottom/last option LTE only.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
the LTE on\off switch has as the bottom/last option LTE only.

Ah, thanks. Never used that app. The stock settings most likely don't give you that option because there would be no fall back to 3G or 1x if the phone lost the LTE signal. Anyway, I stick to my previous comments. :)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
just to clarify, the LTE on/off switch is listed "LTE mode" not "LTE only". my bad. since my last post, I've had the phone in that mode, and battery life seems to be pretty much the same as CDMA auto and CDMA only. the proof will be letting it stay there for a full day. I just have a strange feeling that CDMA+LTE would drain the battery much, much quicker. no data to back that up, but just a gut feeling. I'm going to stay in LTE only for the rest of the night (it's 10:00 pm now) and I'm at 84% battery. when I get up at 0600, lets see where it stands (no charging, obviously). I do use 2x battery, so this will be a good test for the stock battery vs battery saver app...

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone is the same on here but for whatever reason I get much better battery life if I leave my phone on 3G (CDMA Only). It must be because I live in a weak signal 4G area or something but there is a very noticeable difference for me, like a whole day's difference on the extended battery, if I turn off 4G.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
well, just after 0600 I'm at 54% with the phone in LTE mode. 8 hours and 30% battery consumption. that's with no calls, youtube, streaming, etc and with 2x battery enabled. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I will try the same experiment for eight hours on CDMA only and see where the battery is tomorrow at this time.

Reactions: Forgetful

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Instead of getting the huge extra cap battery, try the rezound battery, I have noticed very few issues from other people with it, I personally have noticed no issues, and have increased my battery life drastically....I unplug at 0700, and run mostly wifi through the day, but use it heavily in the evening, and plug in at 1100 and have between 30-50% left... I use it about 2-4 hours an evening browsing the web facebook, twitter, tapatalk, youtube, pandora...I have my screen brightness set to auto, and have my syncs set to every hour or less...try it, or research the thread here on it...

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read a lot of the replies because I am getting ready for work. But I wanted to give you my use. I don't live in a 4G are and the CDMA (3g) is amazingly fast for me on my Thunderbolt. I rarely have used the 4G. I keep it on CDMA and my battery life is very good. I can get up to 15 hours depending on the usage.
I don't have an extended battery. Stock battery

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

if you get the free app "LTE OnOff", you'll be able to switch it to the following modes:

1) CDMA auto (PRL) whatever that means

2) CDMA only

3) EvDo only whatever that means

4) CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto

5) LTE mode (i think thats the LTE "only" mode)

hope this helps :cool:

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read a lot of the replies because I am getting ready for work. But I wanted to give you my use. I don't live in a 4G are and the CDMA (3g) is amazingly fast for me on my Thunderbolt. I rarely have used the 4G. I keep it on CDMA and my battery life is very good. I can get up to 15 hours depending on the usage.
I don't have an extended battery. Stock battery

not even the Rezound battery?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze