"HTC admits its bulky, quick-dying LTE phones kinda suck."

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually ran this by a VZW rep,. it was a short 1 min talk as we were on the phone for 15 min. about my upgrade date, acct, how good a customer I am, don't leave, etc. He said do not purchase the Rezound battery, I told him I am not (which I'm not I already bought the brick extended battery and I don't want to empty my wallet on any more T-Bolt accessories in case I leave VZW. I was using that for several months, but since I am using BAMF I went back to standard this week after months on the extended as it was too much like wearing and holding a brick w/ the extended battery).
The rep. said it will void your warrenty (I am guessing rooting will too :p) and could damage the phone.Since I am guessing you work with VZW, what is the word about this?

Horse puckie! :p I've been using two Rezound batteries in my Thunderbolt for the last two months (swap em out as needed). Phone still works great! And I average 6-8 hours more battery life! :)

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Horse puckie! :p I've been using two Rezound batteries in my Thunderbolt for the last two months (swap em out as needed). Phone still works great! And I average 6-8 hours more battery life! :)

Thanks, I figured as much. I'd get one, but enough spending money on a device and carrier I may soon leave.
Still deciding.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't regret buying the TB either. I am disappointed with the extended battery. The stock battery gives me about 36 hours of light usage (text, email, phone, simple games, etc.) I turned the brightness down to about 25% and use wi-fi alot (3G when not on wi-fi). I turn data completely off when i'm sleeping, sometimes i even put the phone in airplane mode. I'm not rooted (yet) either.

With all that said, i still bought the extended battery figuring it'll give me at least 3 days of light usage because it's twice as strong as the stock. NOPE! Soooo disappointed. I get about 2.5 days of light usage. I got the extended battery on sale for $25 so i'm not extremely upset. Though if i paid the full $50 for about a 1 day extension i'd be furious.

UPDATE. The first two charges on the extended battery were disappointing but now the third charge gave me upwards of 100 hours! Again, light usage but still impressive. I went from 2 days of usage to 4 which was a very pleasant surprise. Do these batteries get conditioned as they get used?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE. The first two charges on the extended battery were disappointing but now the third charge gave me upwards of 100 hours! Again, light usage but still impressive. I went from 2 days of usage to 4 which was a very pleasant surprise. Do these batteries get conditioned as they get used?

Yes. Battery University has a great tutorial on getting the most out of your battery, and several good tips from them and others bubbled to the surface:

1. When you first get your battery, be sure you charge it up to 100% in ONE GO, and leave it hooked up for a while after your device claims it's charged. Many people recommend 12 hours. I think that's excessive, but hey - it can't hurt. When you get a new phone or a new battery, charge it at least overnight and resist the temptation to unplug it to play with the phone.

2. For your first couple of discharges, try to run it down to the point where the phone shuts itself off (but do not do multiple restart cycles to try and drain it further, if you deep-discharge it you could ruin it). Then charge it back up to 100% (overnight if possible so it gets plenty of quality time on the charger).

3. After that, try to keep the charge between about 20% and 80% the majority of the time. Charging much above 80% repeatedly isn't good for the overall longevity battery, nor is discharging it much below 20%. When you charge it above 80%, use a slower charger if you can - not the included 1A fast charger.

4. Every couple of months, do a full-charge, full-discharge, full-charge cycle. This helps keep the phone clearly aware of the battery's remaining capacity (calibration).

5. If you're going on a trip, you can "boost-charge" the battery by charging it to 100%, unplugging it, turning it off, and immediately plugging it in again. When the light goes from amber to green, unplug it and plug it back in (leaving the phone off). You can repeat the unplug-plug cycle several times but the benefit dwindles each time.

This can increase the capacity of that single charge, but also does some slight damage to the battery which, over time, decreases its overall capacity. It may be worth it if you'll be somewhere you know you can't recharge it for a while. But if you find yourself doing this a lot, get a bigger (or extra) battery.

Reactions: redcat22

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Would have been nice if an offer of a free upgrade followed this interview. My guess is that guy gets the boot and the breeze from htc. How can you admit product is junk and not offer to replace it?

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Would have been nice if an offer of a free upgrade followed this interview. My guess is that guy gets the boot and the breeze from htc. How can you admit product is junk and not offer to replace it?

Replace with another Tbolt? What would that accomplish? From an objective standpoint, these phones aren't junk. I mean they aren't lemons. The phone works properly. Most smartphones have poor battery life, but Tbolt does seem to be worst of the worst...by no means defective though to warrant replacement phones.

I believe the carriers will be "sweetening the deal" with accessories, such as extended batteries in particular, when you upgrade your phone. I mentioned earlier that i got my extended batt 50% off which was very nice. :)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Replace with another Tbolt? What would that accomplish? From an objective standpoint, these phones aren't junk. I mean they aren't lemons. The phone works properly. Most smartphones have poor battery life, but Tbolt does seem to be worst of the worst...by no means defective though to warrant replacement phones.

I believe the carriers will be "sweetening the deal" with accessories, such as extended batteries in particular, when you upgrade your phone. I mentioned earlier that i got my extended batt 50% off which was very nice. :)

I never said nor did I mean replace it with a tbolt! HTC admits tbolt missed the mark. They should offer to replace it with a better HTC phone like the rezound.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I never said nor did I mean replace it with a tbolt! HTC admits tbolt missed the mark. They should offer to replace it with a better HTC phone like the rezound.

I don't think you mean to say "replace" because what you're suggesting is a free upgrade for everybody who has a Tbolt. Either way, my point still stands that the Tbolt works properly. "Missed the mark" in regards to performance doesn't equal defective. Again, the carriers or HTC might offer perks on accessories or maybe a small discount (unlikely) on your next phone.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I meant what I said. Tbolt owners should be offered a free replacement like the rezound. Not everyone would take it if it began a new 2 year cycle. (I wouldn't - rezound isn't good enough to begin a new 2 year cycle with even for "free".)

Why should htc do that? They admitted the phone stinks. Another option would be a discounted offer but obviously that is less satisfactory. There is no htc phone out now that I would want anyway. The rezounds aren't selling great anyway so soon their price will be low.

I also never suggested htc would do this....just that they should. They will just laugh and keep our money.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I meant what I said. Tbolt owners should be offered a free replacement like the rezound. Not everyone would take it if it began a new 2 year cycle. (I wouldn't - rezound isn't good enough to begin a new 2 year cycle with even for "free".)

Why should htc do that? They admitted the phone stinks. Another option would be a discounted offer but obviously that is less satisfactory. There is no htc phone out now that I would want anyway. The rezounds aren't selling great anyway so soon their price will be low.

I also never suggested htc would do this....just that they should. They will just laugh and keep our money.

Personally, I don't expect nor want to be offered anything as I don't believe there's anything wrong with the phone regardless of what someone from HTC said. The phone works for me and I'm simply not interested in anything else even if it's free or no contract requirement. To me, it sounds like you're looking for any excuse to get a different phone as I'm assuming you're locked into a contract yet and don't have an upgrade available. If you're really that unhappy, contact Verizon and work with them on trying to get a different phone. :)

Reactions: evetskirk

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Aw man! I was happy with my phone. Now that I've read that HTC says it sucks so I guess I should start hating it.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Aw man! I was happy with my phone. Now that I've read that HTC says it sucks so I guess I should start hating it.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Haha....

I'm still very happy. Very. AFAIC, us TBolters knew what we were getting into when we bought the 1st ever VZW 4G phone. We all wanted it. I know I did. With a passion. And I still have my passion. I still love this phone after almost a year. No issues here. At this moment I have an upgrade available that I'm not gonna use any time soon. I bought the extended battery right away and never looked back. Happy camper here.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: HPBolt

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood