who uses security lock code for their Bolt?

Lock code or Pattern for your Tbolt

• Total voters

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I lock my phone with a PIN (after 15 min inactivity). While it's rarely ever out of my site, it's at least a measure of security if it's lost or stolen or if on that rare occasion I leave it unattended. No need to allow anyone unfettered access to my e-mail and contacts. I do the same on my home PC's as they're password protected and the screensaver locks em after 15 minutes of inactivity if I don't manually lock them first. Sure it's a bit of a pain, but if you want a little security, you have to give up a little convenience. :)

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I know I should probably use some sort of security on my phone, but it's just too annoying whenever you try and unlock your phone quickly. I had used the screen pattern before and got annoyed after a couple weeks.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know I should probably use some sort of security on my phone, but it's just too annoying whenever you try and unlock your phone quickly. I had used the screen pattern before and got annoyed after a couple weeks.

Yep, my feelings exactly. My phone is always on my person which seems to be secure enough for me. I know I should care more about security, but I just can't bring myself to do it. One day I may regret this laziness....:p

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I *usually* use a pattern, but with a fairly generous timeout grace period.

I know that it's not the best security option by a longshot, but it does provide me with two things:
1. Should my phone be lost, anyone that finds it probably won't be able to get my personal info. Granted, if stolen or if the person REALLY wants to get at it, they'll be able to, but it keeps standard curiosities at bay.
2. Keeps my "friends" from playing fun practical jokes on me by using my unattended phone to post things (as me) to FB, twitter, email, whatever. Granted, as I've gotten older, the risk of this has become much less, but there have been plenty of times in the past where alcohol+friends+unattended phone = embarrassing posts.

I made sure to use a pattern that (A) can't easily be guessed by observing the streak marks on the screen and (B) I can easily swipe quickly while holding with one hand. Rarely takes more than an extra second to get into my phone.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The actual answer I have to give isn't in the options, so I chose "numeric".

However, mine is a corporate issue and has TouchDown and MobileIron installed. We have a MobileIron-enforced 15 minute timeout with an alphanumeric password (minimum 7 characters, must contain at least one and no more than 6 numbers).

The inability to make phone calls outbound while the phone is PIN-locked is a MAJOR step backward from my old Blackberry. I love the Android in every other respect, but that's a really serious oversight.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, my feelings exactly. My phone is always on my person which seems to be secure enough for me. I know I should care more about security, but I just can't bring myself to do it. One day I may regret this laziness....:p

I sincerely hope you don't have cause to regret it, but would urge you to consider trying it out for a week. Set a really simple 4-digit numeric code that's very easy to type and have it activate every time your phone goes to idle. I bet you'll find within a day or two that SWIPE-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP becomes fast and easy.

With a simple password like that, if you can I'd also set a "x strikes and your're out" policy that nukes the phone after, say, 20 tries. That way, you have 20 chances to get it right (which should be plenty), but so does a potential phone thief (which gives them a 0.2% chance of happening on the right code before the phone does a little factory-reset dance, wiping your data clean).

I don't know how short a PIN can be set in Android - my only one has been locked and the settings are somewhat sadistic (7 character password, 15 minute autolock, 10 retries before the nuclear option is taken).

I feel your pain about not wanting the password, though. I've been trying to convince my wife to PIN-lock her phone with a very basic password since she got it, to no avail.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I sincerely hope you don't have cause to regret it, but would urge you to consider trying it out for a week. Set a really simple 4-digit numeric code that's very easy to type and have it activate every time your phone goes to idle. I bet you'll find within a day or two that SWIPE-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP becomes fast and easy.

With a simple password like that, if you can I'd also set a "x strikes and your're out" policy that nukes the phone after, say, 20 tries. That way, you have 20 chances to get it right (which should be plenty), but so does a potential phone thief (which gives them a 0.2% chance of happening on the right code before the phone does a little factory-reset dance, wiping your data clean).

I don't know how short a PIN can be set in Android - my only one has been locked and the settings are somewhat sadistic (7 character password, 15 minute autolock, 10 retries before the nuclear option is taken).

I feel your pain about not wanting the password, though. I've been trying to convince my wife to PIN-lock her phone with a very basic password since she got it, to no avail.

Nate....you guilted me into setting up a simple pattern. I have thought about it because I get texts from "female" friends (I am single, it is ok...LOLOL), and my kids will say "Hey Dad....who is <NAME>?"....now I don't have to worry

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
PIN lock after 10 minutes. Have to remember to unlock TB for Bluetooth to work with my F-150's Sync.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I used to have the monks' symbol of life (unless tilted the wrong way and it was the nazi symbol), and it was quick and used up all the dots. Pretty good, cus I'm no monk, nor German.

Start top right, move one dot to the left (top middle), then all the way straight down (bottom middle), then one dot to the left (bottoms left), then all the way to the right (bottom right), up one dot (right middle), then all the way to the left (left middle), then up one dot(top left). If ur a nazi just tilt the screen a few degrees counter clockwise, and u have a swastika

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I *usually* use a pattern, but with a fairly generous timeout grace period.

I know that it's not the best security option by a longshot, but it does provide me with two things:
1. Should my phone be lost, anyone that finds it probably won't be able to get my personal info. Granted, if stolen or if the person REALLY wants to get at it, they'll be able to, but it keeps standard curiosities at bay.
2. Keeps my "friends" from playing fun practical jokes on me by using my unattended phone to post things (as me) to FB, twitter, email, whatever. Granted, as I've gotten older, the risk of this has become much less, but there have been plenty of times in the past where alcohol+friends+unattended phone = embarrassing posts.

I made sure to use a pattern that (A) can't easily be guessed by observing the streak marks on the screen and (B) I can easily swipe quickly while holding with one hand. Rarely takes more than an extra second to get into my phone.

+1
Same exact here, also for A and B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18