Need competent navigation

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
After a year of use, I'm terribly disappointed in Google Maps Navigation. Is there a better option for Android? I'm either going to go buy another Nuvi (my original died) or get a Windows phone.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Before you do something rash, there are a few good options. I've liked running "Copilot Live" but with the Galaxy phones getting 2.3, it broke that for us, You'll probably get much better results on the Thunderbolt.

I've been using Navigon (a Garmin company) since it DOES work on my Epic4g. Not too crazy about the interface, but that's a personal preference I suppose. With Navigon, you'll probably get the same quality routing that you are used to from your dead Garmin Nuvi.

I chose both of these because they use locally stored and updated maps, negating the need to even have data running. Makes recalculating much quicker, longer battery life if you don't have the option to plug in while navigating, and you can still take calls without losing the map.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
After a year of use, I'm terribly disappointed in Google Maps Navigation. Is there a better option for Android? I'm either going to go buy another Nuvi (my original died) or get a Windows phone.

MapQuest has an app for Android now, and it's free. It has voice navigation. I've never tried it, but did I mention it's free? As in... worth a try. :)

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I use CoPilot Live. It generally works well. Gives you a lot of settings like the type of roads you prefer, etc. And, it works even if you are out of cell tower range because the data all resides on the SD card.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
How do you define competent? what are your issues, and are you using google maps or google navigation?

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have used Google Navigation and Maps for a long time. I have never had issues with the directions. Sometimes it sends me on long routes when there was a shorter or quicker way to go. I also live in Silicon Valley and we are pretty much the first to get new things and maybe the connections are better here.

I do GEO-CACHING and to find the initial CACHE, I use the DIRECTIONS in the Geo-cache app which actually starts Google Navigation......pin pint accurate.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
"Competent" would be finding addresses in reasonably well-developed areas like Flint, Grand Rapids, Bloomfield Hills and the like. The routes are not always the greatest, and that's ok.... it's not being able to locate the correct addresses that really get under my skin. So, I guess the real trouble I'm having is with Google Maps, since I start all Navigation from there.

I'll explore mapquest and navigon. Thanks for the help everyone.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Good luck. In general - in my area - I have found google to be much more up to date than my two other GPS's. In large part because I am not paying to update the maps there....