is a tad sad today.... (or my tale of woe)

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Gang -

If you recall, my 'possessed' phone issue has been resolved.

I gots a nice nused from Asurion and $99 lighter.

Came last week and looked all pretty n shiny.

Current oem holster was broken, but got a new one.

Could not find my collection of screen protectors. First mistake...

Fig got a new case and life would be good. Play the odds, if you will.

Well, yesterday, I took the old holster outer case by mistake and began my day. 2nd mistake...

When time to leave, it was very light drizzle - so thinking smart, I flipped the phone around (carry on my badge strap) as to keep moisture from the headphone jack. 3rd mistake...

Just 45 min earlier, I was polishing the thumbprints making it all shiny.

No sooner I took two steps, the phone slid out of the holster and landed on a corner. Off came cover. off came the battery cover. Face down slide the phone on a concrete walkway.

Needless to say, I did not jump for joy.

Plastic is a tad scuffed (I can live w/ that) but display has some nice scratches.

So, hopefully, this will serve as a PSA that screen protectors & Murphs law actually work.

Does anyone know how to reduce minor display scratches or does that require either sending back for a 3rd nused one or just dealing w/ what I have and get a protector?

Thanks for listening...

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried it myself but if my phone where to get scratches on the screen I would probably try 1 of those windshield scratch removers. Maybe don't mind work or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had a touchscreen phone of some type for going on 4 years now. At first, I used the screen protector, but just didn't like it. Didn't like the bubbles underneath, and no matter how carefully I'd apply it, I could never prevent there being specs of dust underneath. Now, I was probably being WAY to much of a perfectionist about it, but it bugged me. The primary reason though that I didn't like using the screen protector is that the screen itself just seem as responsive...so I decided I'd just take my chances and go without one.

Now, in those 4 years, I've never had any issues...a few rare very small scratches (including one on my current thunderbolt), but nothing noticeable unless you REALLY looked carefully at it.

Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe I'm just careful, but I have yet to have a catastrophic fall with my TBolt*, although I also don't use a holster. Usually keep in pants pocket (screen side IN), or in my shirt pocket if I'm using the headphones. Also, I use the Seidio Active case, which provides a decent amount of shock protection should I drop it, plus adds a slight amount of depth to the front side so that if set down on it's face, the glass doesn't make contact with the surface of the floor/table/etc. The rubberized edges also make it easier to grip, and less likely to slip!

Either way, to the OP, that stinks -- I know that feeling of helplessness that comes with dropping expensive electronics.

*(knocks on wood)

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Gang -

If you recall, my 'possessed' phone issue has been resolved.

I gots a nice nused from Asurion and $99 lighter.

Came last week and looked all pretty n shiny.

Current oem holster was broken, but got a new one.

Could not find my collection of screen protectors. First mistake...

Fig got a new case and life would be good. Play the odds, if you will.

Well, yesterday, I took the old holster outer case by mistake and began my day. 2nd mistake...

When time to leave, it was very light drizzle - so thinking smart, I flipped the phone around (carry on my badge strap) as to keep moisture from the headphone jack. 3rd mistake...

Just 45 min earlier, I was polishing the thumbprints making it all shiny.

No sooner I took two steps, the phone slid out of the holster and landed on a corner. Off came cover. off came the battery cover. Face down slide the phone on a concrete walkway.

Needless to say, I did not jump for joy.

Plastic is a tad scuffed (I can live w/ that) but display has some nice scratches.

So, hopefully, this will serve as a PSA that screen protectors & Murphs law actually work.

Does anyone know how to reduce minor display scratches or does that require either sending back for a 3rd nused one or just dealing w/ what I have and get a protector?

Thanks for listening...

That is a bummer, and I'm sorry it happened. I wish I knew how to get the scratches out, but honestly, I have no clue. However, I almost had a similar experience about a week ago. I hopped out of my truck, phone in hand, and proceeded to drop it from about 5 feet. It landed flat on the screen side, and I saw my phone's life flash before my eyes. Thankfully, my case and screen protector did their job, and my Bolt came away unscathed.

Like paintdrinkingpete, I also use the Seidio Active case, and because of my experience, I will probably use it on my next phone as well. I'm not telling you all of this to rub it in or anything, but just hopefully to sway someone else toward a case and sp in case they were on the fence about it.

Sorry again about your Bolt.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Get a wet applied screen protector like ghost armor or Phantom Skins. They will fill in the scratches

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ed Witles

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
And throw away that broken holster before you accidentally use it again! :p

I'm borderline compulsive with "My Precious", always thinking ahead to keep it out of harms way. (Hey, it's a $600 high-end electronics item!). I have to do it too without a case (holster only) or screen protectors as I really don't like them (prefer naked). So far that compulsion has worked (knock on wood)... :p

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You just convinced me to get a screen protector. I tried to replace my screen protector and went through the rest of the package creating one bubble after another until I got frustrated and gave up.

I use an extended battery with the cheesy case VZW sells and that offers some protection. I also use a holster. I don't like the Seido holster nor the Seidio case. It suffocates the speaker.

My OG Droid had a wet applied screen protector from a mall booth and even it had a bubble. I wouldn't let them try again because I was afraid all that water they spray would short out the phone!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
You just convinced me to get a screen protector. I tried to replace my screen protector and went through the rest of the package creating one bubble after another until I got frustrated and gave up.

I use an extended battery with the cheesy case VZW sells and that offers some protection. I also use a holster. I don't like the Seido holster nor the Seidio case. It suffocates the speaker.

My OG Droid had a wet applied screen protector from a mall booth and even it had a bubble. I wouldn't let them try again because I was afraid all that water they spray would short out the phone!

What you describe is a big reason I don't like screen protectors, also don't like how they feel. But that's just me. And cases add too much bulk for my tastes. I compensate in other ways to protect the phone (never dropped a smartphone, dumbphone, once or twice, but never a smartphone!) :)

Check out the Seidio Spring-Clip Holster for Non-Cased ThunderBolt. It doesn't cover the speaker and works with the extended battery. It protects the phone quite well too, well except for the back as it's exposed.