Verizon won't honor my one year contract

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Purchased the thunderbolt the day it came out. And the store manager told me that the system wouldn't let her put it in as a one year, but that she would make adjustment and note the account. Went into the store cause I was looking at upgrading and was told at first that I couldn't because my account showed 2 year. Once the saw the notes he said that they would change it to the one year. Told me they stopped the one year in June so they would honor it. They made a phone call and came back and told me that they stopped it in January not June, and I was stuck with the two year. Said they would credit the one year difference to my account. I am on fire because I wouldn't have brought the phone on a two year. I have been with them over seven years and I am ready to leave. I didn't take the credit I left and told them this isn't over. What should I do?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You know you probably should have consider the credit because I guarantee you wont see that offer again... No matter what notation was made on account you officially signed a two year contract when you bought the device.

You should not have accepted the rep to sale you a 2 year contact with unofficial agreement to adjust a two year to a year, if they had a year option you would have got it.

You evidently want to change devices so I would have used the credit to the new device and had them keep to 2 year agreement because this would mean you got your two 1 year contracts.. Now I see a renewal of a new two year if you get them to work something out for you..

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There was a 1 year option when I purchased the Thunderbolt March 31, 2011 via Verizon's website, although I didn't take it. I'd call Verizon directly and calmly explain the issue and politely request to be put on the one year.

Reactions: robrecht

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Purchased the thunderbolt the day it came out. And the store manager told me that the system wouldn't let her put it in as a one year, but that she would make adjustment and note the account. Went into the store cause I was looking at upgrading and was told at first that I couldn't because my account showed 2 year. Once the saw the notes he said that they would change it to the one year. Told me they stopped the one year in June so they would honor it. They made a phone call and came back and told me that they stopped it in January not June, and I was stuck with the two year. Said they would credit the one year difference to my account. I am on fire because I wouldn't have brought the phone on a two year. I have been with them over seven years and I am ready to leave. I didn't take the credit I left and told them this isn't over. What should I do?

The original sales rep fooled you. Plain and simple. Sales rep make far less, if not nothing at all, off of getting a customer to sign a one year agreement. So of course "the computer was having issues" and they would note the account that it should be switched. But none of it matters. The only part that matters legally is that you agreed to a two year contract. As stated already, you should have simply not agreed to it at the time and told them you would buy the phone only if it was put in as a one year agreement properly. You should have given the credit some consideration.

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The original sales rep fooled you. Plain and simple. Sales rep make far less, if not nothing at all, off of getting a customer to sign a one year agreement. So of course "the computer was having issues" and they would note the account that it should be switched. But none of it matters. The only part that matters legally is that you agreed to a two year contract. As stated already, you should have simply not agreed to it at the time and told them you would buy the phone only if it was put in as a one year agreement properly. You should have given the credit some consideration.

Not the sales rep, the manager of a corporate store.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
There's not much of a difference. ;)

I agree... Users are going to have to start understanding a contract in a legal document and once you agree that you read it and agree with the contract you really dont have a foot to stand on.

Another thing I like to know if the OP got the 2 year price or one year price on the device?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: Harlemknight

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree... Users are going to have to start understanding a contract in a legal document and once you agree that you read it and agree with the contract you really dont have a foot to stand on.

Another thing I like to know if the OP got the 2 year price or one year price on the device?

I paid 374.99 for my Thunderbolt for the one year contract. The manager also put notes in my account to reflect exactly what she did. The manager at the store said he sees the note but that he can't honor it.

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
January they say? Something smells funny http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-nixing-one-year-contract-option-beginning-april-17

The annual upgrade on a 2 yr contract and NE2 discount for qualifying lines was what ended in January. Was the upgrade a regular upgrade or an annual upgrade? In the case of the latter, those are restricted to 2 yr renewals only.

First I want to thank you for the Link to the April 17 deadline date. My 2 year contract was up and I opted for the one year with the Bolt, and that is what I paid for. I have all my receipts and also a signed business card for my one year. Still in talks with Verizon to get a solution. Thanks again.

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So I called VZW back and spoke to a lady supervisor and explained everything. Told her that I was told that the one year contracts ended in January when the official document said April 17 and that I purchased my Bolt March 17. We had a long conversation and she said that I have been with VZW for a long time and that I don't call in and complain about my phones (Treo 650, Treo 700, Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Storm 2, Thunderbolt) and I pay my bill. And that she would call and talk to the store manager. Then 15 minutes later I received a call from a manager at the store who told me that they agreed to change it to a one year contract and that I could come in whenever I liked. :)

I wasn't trying to get over. I don't keep requesting replacement after replacement. I just wanted what I paid for and that is all.

Lesson learned:

Get everything in writing
Keep all receipts
Never give up if you know you're right

Thanks for the help and inspiration.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that they confused 1 year contract with annual upgrade. Annual upgrade and ne2 were ended in January 11, one year contracts were ended in April 11.

They messed up my one year contract as well, spent an hour on the phone. They did credit me $25 for my troubles, so I essentially paid $5 extra for the thunderbolt to get the one year contract. My contact end date is set right, but the upgrade date is still showing 20 mo

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar beef with verizon that did NOT end as happily. You were fortunate.

When my wife's phone was converted from a business plan to my family plan we went through a tremendous hassle. I wont bore you with details but the process went on for over a month and required hours and hours of time with tens of VZW reps to get it done.

When it was FINALLY completed the rep who KNEW what she was doing apologized for wasting all of our time and effort and as a reward gave my wife 350 free sms/mms. For a kid that's a day's worth but it would last a lifetime for my wife.

We have a 2 year plan but at the end of one year I called to make sure her texts were still active because her sister was sick and she was texting more than she ever had to her family. The first rep said the "gift" had expired so we discussed a plan for her. I wanted to try to get a plan like mine - $5 a month for 250 texts but that plan no longer is offerered. I asked to speak to a manager to see if something could be worked out.

The manager said there was no way wife could get $5 plan but GOOD NEWS there were still hundreds of free texts remaining from the "gift"? "Haven't they expired I asked?" "No! There is no expiration date listed" she cheerfully explained. "They're good as long as she keeps the phone". "Will you make a note to that effect in her file?" I requested (I've been down this road before). "Sure, I'm writing it down now'

You know where this is going....we get a huge bill because the gift expired and we were charged 25 cents a text.
I called in a good mood confident that I was well covered. First rep , "nothing I can do she will have to pay it." "Did you look in the notes?" I confidently asked. "Yes, sorry that rep. Was mistaken. You must pay" "May I speak to the person who wrote the notes?" I asked naievely. "No, she's at a different call center."

"May I speak to a manager?" I politely requested.

Got the same line from the manager. "Nothing I can do the contract is the contract"

"Can I speak to the rep who noted my file?" He said he would email her the rep. Might call me when she gets the chance. She never has.

I had to sign up for the $10 a month plan to avoid another huge bill because she had already sent 50 texts in the second month by the time we were billed for the first.

To this day I have been unable to speak to the rep who said our gift was good. I never HAD the gift written I to any contract that I saw so please don't tell me the contract is the contract.

Bottom line is either a company stands by its reps' statements (a manager who noted my file) or they are sleezy imo.

After the first month I cancelled her text plan and she simply calls now.

How can a consumer know who to trust? How can we rely on ANYTHING a VZW rep tells us?

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar beef with verizon that did NOT end as happily. You were fortunate.

When my wife's phone was converted from a business plan to my family plan we went through a tremendous hassle. I wont bore you with details but the process went on for over a month and required hours and hours of time with tens of VZW reps to get it done.

When it was FINALLY completed the rep who KNEW what she was doing apologized for wasting all of our time and effort and as a reward gave my wife 350 free sms/mms. For a kid that's a day's worth but it would last a lifetime for my wife.

We have a 2 year plan but at the end of one year I called to make sure her texts were still active because her sister was sick and she was texting more than she ever had to her family. The first rep said the "gift" had expired so we discussed a plan for her. I wanted to try to get a plan like mine - $5 a month for 250 texts but that plan no longer is offerered. I asked to speak to a manager to see if something could be worked out.

The manager said there was no way wife could get $5 plan but GOOD NEWS there were still hundreds of free texts remaining from the "gift"? "Haven't they expired I asked?" "No! There is no expiration date listed" she cheerfully explained. "They're good as long as she keeps the phone". "Will you make a note to that effect in her file?" I requested (I've been down this road before). "Sure, I'm writing it down now'

You know where this is going....we get a huge bill because the gift expired and we were charged 25 cents a text.
I called in a good mood confident that I was well covered. First rep , "nothing I can do she will have to pay it." "Did you look in the notes?" I confidently asked. "Yes, sorry that rep. Was mistaken. You must pay" "May I speak to the person who wrote the notes?" I asked naievely. "No, she's at a different call center."

"May I speak to a manager?" I politely requested.

Got the same line from the manager. "Nothing I can do the contract is the contract"

"Can I speak to the rep who noted my file?" He said he would email her the rep. Might call me when she gets the chance. She never has.

I had to sign up for the $10 a month plan to avoid another huge bill because she had already sent 50 texts in the second month by the time we were billed for the first.

To this day I have been unable to speak to the rep who said our gift was good. I never HAD the gift written I to any contract that I saw so please don't tell me the contract is the contract.

Bottom line is either a company stands by its reps' statements (a manager who noted my file) or they are sleezy imo.

After the first month I cancelled her text plan and she simply calls now.

How can a consumer know who to trust? How can we rely on ANYTHING a VZW rep tells us?

I guess *we*, the customers, have to somehow record these conversations by ourselves for "quality purposes." :confused:

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it applies in this case but I did hear an interesting radio discussion about "gifts" and their expiration dates. A woman in MN bought a 'car wash' at a gas station. The line was very long so she decided to come back some other time. When she did come back (about 5 weeks later) she was told that the 'car wash' ticket was expired (30 days). Result: a 5 million dollar class action lawsuit! Turns out, federal law says a gift certificate (which this 'car wash' was) can't expire in less then 5 years. MN law says it can never expire!

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well unless it said in the car wash certificate, that it expired. If it didn't, then they have no way of saying it expires right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk