HTC Thunderbolt becomes part of ICS test program

smthomas66

May 12, 2011
Visit site
When I first got my TBolt last year I waited everyday for an update to fix known issues. The phone rebooted itself, certain apps like skype video calling didn't work, and the batteyr life needed two charges a day even on basic usage. I'm happy to say it took a couple long months but eventually with two updates everything was fixed and it's now an awesome phone that it promised to be. I even charge just once a morning at my office with fairly heavy usage. The main thing was that they made the battery basically flat line when not being used instead of it constantly draining. That was huge. So that said I haven't been looking for ICS because the phone works just fine now. If we get it I hope it improves the phone some and not breaks it. Please HTC and Verizon...if the specs on the phone just aren't up to what they should be for this software don't mess with it anymore. Most TBolt users have another six months or so to go before they upgrade anyway.

mickeymys

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah lot of people bad mouth the thb mine has work fine iv not had no problem with it but I would like to see ics on it to if u put ics on it good if don't I'm not going to lose no sleep over and I'm no going to get mad about like a lot of people do cause I didn't get ics

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
usually there is a leak before the update comes out and since a new update just came out i would be surprised if ics comes out before autumn.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
usually there is a leak before the update comes out and since a new update just came out i would be surprised if ics comes out before autumn.

was it an ota or just a leak that came out? The .19 leak from this week...

sent from my Thundershed Thunderbolt

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah lot of people bad mouth the thb mine has work fine iv not had no problem with it but I would like to see ics on it to if u put ics on it good if don't I'm not going to lose no sleep over and I'm no going to get mad about like a lot of people do cause I didn't get ics

From a consumer perspective, a lot of us thunderbolt owners feel cheered that we were sold a premium flagship device and experienced so many problems. In return we should have received something to a dress the issues that we had with our phones in the form of a reliable and stable update. Each update brought along new issues. There are many developers here that have enabled us to root our phones and address some of these issues in the form of a new radio release, leaner kernel, etc. Of course nine of them are official releases, but the developers address the t bolt problems and leave the end user more satisfied with the end result. Meanwhile our official carriers let us down. But the have no problem initiating a $30 fee to upgrade to a new device with an extended contract?

Give us ICS and make it stable. Learn from your previous mistakes with past releases and get things done right the first time around.

Of course, the above highlights my frustration. Not sure if anyone else agrees ......

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Everyone complains about the buggy release, but to be honest, when OTAs come, they arent even clean installs. Every dev says you need to do a full wipe (meaning all data) when going from Froyo to GB. HTC didnt have that luxury with the thunderbolt. It had to push out GB without doing a clean install. Obviously it will be glitchy.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
OhioG, that is a crutch of an excuse at best. Plenty of other phones, particularly from other brands, have seen their devices go through not one major OS upgrade, but a few. Obviously with an OTA OS upgrade you don't get the same benefit to posting a ROM and asking the users to wipe, yet these other phones had no issues.

The Thunderbolt always was and always will be known as the ugly red headed LTE child of Verizon. It's still got problems to this day, and has been THE finikiest phone for devs to work on as far as I can tell. You can blame it on LTE radios etc etc, but the fact is it's a problem phone for the hardcore enthusiasts, and a real disappointment.

In all honesty, if it weren't for the fact that it had LTE, a common feature of just about any Verizon phone release Q2-2011 to today, then it would be no better than 2010 flagships, which is rather sad.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Everyone complains about the buggy release, but to be honest, when OTAs come, they arent even clean installs. Every dev says you need to do a full wipe (meaning all data) when going from Froyo to GB. HTC didnt have that luxury with the thunderbolt. It had to push out GB without doing a clean install. Obviously it will be glitchy.
I completely disagree that "obviously it will be glitchy". OTAs are a great way to go. Coupla things... I think (think!) that I read here that one of the reasons independent developers can't literally produce an OTA style (non-destructive) package is because, although they have full access to the OS, I don't think they have full access to the code behind HTC and Verizon specific apps/widgets (i.e. "Sense", "My Verizon", "NFL Mobile", "Mobile Hotspot", "Voicemail", etc.). So, the devs can't really produce a non-destructive OTA style package. Verizon/HTC of course have access to all that code and can coordinate it during development to be compatible before release. That's why you see so many independent ROMs lacking in the above mentioned apps/functions.

I think that VZW/HTC do a great job on OTA non-destructive updates. I've had no issues. Yay, VZW and HTC! :)

Frank

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I completely disagree that "obviously it will be glitchy". OTAs are a great way to go. Coupla things... I think (think!) that I read here that one of the reasons independent developers can't literally produce an OTA style (non-destructive) package is because, although they have full access to the OS, I don't think they have full access to the code behind HTC and Verizon specific apps/widgets (i.e. "Sense", "My Verizon", "NFL Mobile", "Mobile Hotspot", "Voicemail", etc.). So, the devs can't really produce a non-destructive OTA style package. Verizon/HTC of course have access to all that code and can coordinate it during development to be compatible before release. That's why you see so many independent ROMs lacking in the above mentioned apps/functions.

I think that VZW/HTC do a great job on OTA non-destructive updates. I've had no issues. Yay, VZW and HTC! :)

Frank

So when you got the ota that killed everybody's voicemail notifications yours still worked? VZW had to send out another ota to cure that glitch. Many people experienced other glitches as well.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So when you got the ota that killed everybody's voicemail notifications yours still worked? VZW had to send out another ota to cure that glitch. Many people experienced other glitches as well.
Well, really, I will admit that all software has glitches. But I'm just trying to get across that I find no reason to believe that an OTA will contain any more glitches than an independent developer ROM. In fact, I believe less. But that's just me. And, an OTA is non-destructive.

-Frank

Reactions: Spacemaker24