Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt becomes part of ICS test program

Where is it? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    I completely disagree that "obviously it will be glitchy". OTAs are a great way to go. Coupla things... I think (think!) that I read here that one of the reasons independent developers can't literally produce an OTA style (non-destructive) package is because, although they have full access to the OS, I don't think they have full access to the code behind HTC and Verizon specific apps/widgets (i.e. "Sense", "My Verizon", "NFL Mobile", "Mobile Hotspot", "Voicemail", etc.). So, the devs can't really produce a non-destructive OTA style package. Verizon/HTC of course have access to all that code and can coordinate it during development to be compatible before release. That's why you see so many independent ROMs lacking in the above mentioned apps/functions.

I think that VZW/HTC do a great job on OTA non-destructive updates. I've had no issues. Yay, VZW and HTC!

Frank
    So when you got the ota that killed everybody's voicemail notifications yours still worked? VZW had to send out another ota to cure that glitch. Many people experienced other glitches as well.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt becomes part of ICS test program

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    So when you got the ota that killed everybody's voicemail notifications yours still worked? VZW had to send out another ota to cure that glitch. Many people experienced other glitches as well.
    Well, really, I will admit that all software has glitches. But I'm just trying to get across that I find no reason to believe that an OTA will contain any more glitches than an independent developer ROM. In fact, I believe less. But that's just me. And, an OTA is non-destructive.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123