HTC Thunderbolt becomes part of ICS test program

kwright817

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Looks like ICS may hit by April?

HTC Thunderbolt becomes part of HTC test program, may be receiving Ice Cream Sandwich by April

image-HTC-ThunderBolt-ICS.jpg

When Verizon first started rolling out its brand new 4G LTE network, HTC was right alongside them with the phone known as the Thunderbolt. Sure, it may have had some quirks and incredibly poor battery life, but many people still bought the phone. It was one of the more popular original LTE phones, and they are definitely still around today. The phone is in line to receive the update to Ice Cream Sandwich, and HTC has decided to get some testing done before they release it to the general public.

Above is an alleged email sent out, containing information for what appears to be some trial builds of Sense 4 for the Thunderbolt. The tests are set to kick off in April, so it would be safe to say that we may be seeing an official build within that month or maybe even early May. We?ll have to see what move HTC brings next, but in the meantime we can get excited for the newest update coming to the Thunderbolt. Who?s still rocking a Thunderbolt? Are you excited for Ice Cream Sandwich? Let us know in the comments!

via Everything Google | DroidDog Google Blog

coreymcl

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Anybody else find it strange the email links to a blog instead of google's announcement about Ice Cream Sandwich? But this does bring up a good point, how does one get on the list to test HTC firmware releases? I've always assumed they leak it to users on sites like xda-developers.com.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my Thunderbolt as my primary device so I would love to see ICS released soon. Unlike so many posts of people bad mouthing the Thunderbolt my phone works great no problems like others report on forums.

SKYLER616

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
my tbolt is the best smartphone i have owned, ive had the fascinate, droid bionic, droid charge, and the razer, and by far the tbolt is the best, really would love ics on it

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else find it strange the email links to a blog instead of google's announcement about Ice Cream Sandwich?

Yes. This looks very Phishy to me. If you go to the "source" blog, even the author says it's an "alleged" email that he got thirdhand. And the blog author himself is suspicious of it.

This appears to be a ridiculously optomistic timeline for ICS, and a very unusual way to perform such a test.

I'm thinking anyone who replies to this note would never hear from Verizon, but their spam filter had best be military-grade.

Just sayin'.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
On a side note, threads keep popping up about ICS for the Tbolt. This is basically a continuation of this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/156601-bolt-get-ics-via-fb.html

Talking about who likes ICS and who doesn't. It's gonna have bugs or no it won't. The Tbolt hardware can handle ICS and Sense 4.0 or it can't. Getting a little redundant here.

Sorry if i sound like i'm venting, i'm not angry or anything. Redundancy is just a pet peeve. :p

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Not to be rude I wont do an upgrade that hadn't been validated by Verizon. Nor will I upgrade to ICS when available. IF EVER....till the bugs are out. My phone runs great. Why fix what isn't broke

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

An-Droid-M

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Recently Upgraded to the Moto Razzr Max, but still have my T-bolt as a backup. If and when it gets this update will I be able to do the OTA?? My bolt still works great and never had the many bugs and glitches alot of useres seemd to complain about. My own perosnal problems with the Phone where the Reboot bug wich was not as bad as most people experianced but still not a fun time for me, and a few odd bugs (Like the Car Dock simply not working any more) and of course the battery life. (Althou it did improve with the GB Update) I woudl like to keep the Bolt as up to date as posable because A) I still use it at home and will proably pass it on to my oldest son at some point in the next few months. and B) If somehting happens to my Max befor I pass it on to my son it's a good backup phone to have.

So will I be able to get the OTA for the Bolt even thou it is not curently Active when and IF the update ever arives??

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Recently Upgraded to the Moto Razzr Max, but still have my T-bolt as a backup. If and when it gets this update will I be able to do the OTA?? My bolt still works great and never had the many bugs and glitches alot of useres seemd to complain about. My own perosnal problems with the Phone where the Reboot bug wich was not as bad as most people experianced but still not a fun time for me, and a few odd bugs (Like the Car Dock simply not working any more) and of course the battery life. (Althou it did improve with the GB Update) I woudl like to keep the Bolt as up to date as posable because A) I still use it at home and will proably pass it on to my oldest son at some point in the next few months. and B) If somehting happens to my Max befor I pass it on to my son it's a good backup phone to have.

So will I be able to get the OTA for the Bolt even thou it is not curently Active when and IF the update ever arives??

Yes just link it to wifi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes just link it to wifi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

You sure? Pretty sure he'd need to re-activate it and put it on Verizon's network to get the OTA. Never read of anyone being able to get an OTA on here over WiFi. He can download the RUU if its available but not the OTA sent out by Verizon.

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
On a side note, threads keep popping up about ICS for the Tbolt. This is basically a continuation of this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/156601-bolt-get-ics-via-fb.html

Talking about who likes ICS and who doesn't. It's gonna have bugs or no it won't. The Tbolt hardware can handle ICS and Sense 4.0 or it can't. Getting a little redundant here.

Sorry if i sound like i'm venting, i'm not angry or anything. Redundancy is just a pet peeve. :p

You can say that again.

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that the HTC Sensation is getting a Sense 3.6 (which is supposed to be a Sense 4.0 Lite). Maybe thats what we will get on the Thunderbolt due to the hardware constraints

blackjaguar25

Thunderbolter
Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You sure? Pretty sure he'd need to re-activate it and put it on Verizon's network to get the OTA. Never read of anyone being able to get an OTA on here over WiFi. He can download the RUU if its available but not the OTA sent out by Verizon.

It can be downloaded over wifi. Don't you use wifi in your house?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It can be downloaded over wifi. Don't you use wifi in your house?

Nah, with unlimited data I don't need to worry about it.

I don't remember anyone talking about getting the previous OTAs over WiFi when they came out. Also, not sure how Verizon would know your phone needed the update unless it was hooked to their service. If it's just using WiFi, Verizon wouldn't see it on the network and therefore would not send the OTA to it.

Last edited:

dontlookatme

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that the HTC Sensation is getting a Sense 3.6 (which is supposed to be a Sense 4.0 Lite). Maybe thats what we will get on the Thunderbolt due to the hardware constraints

Hardware constraints? 1ghz processor, 756mb ram not good enough? Damn. That sounds good enough for me. Since sense 4.0 is supposed to be lighter, or less cluttered. Back to basics sense. So it should work great on tbolt right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Xxw0lfxX

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
If any of you follow Htc on Google+, they already confirmed on February 17th, that the Thunderbolt would get ICS

Sent from my Bamf'd HTC Thunderbolt

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta