Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC Thunderbolt becomes part of ICS test program

Looks like ICS may hit by April?

When Verizon first started rolling out its brand new 4G LTE network, HTC was right alongside them with the phone known as the Thunderbolt. Sure, it may have had some quirks and incredibly poor battery life, but many people still bought the phone. It was one of the more popular original LTE phones, and they are definitely still around today. The phone is in line to receive the update to Ice Cream Sandwich, and HTC has decided to get some testing done before they release it to the general public.

Above is an alleged email sent out, containing information for what appears to be some trial builds of Sense 4 for the Thunderbolt. The tests are set to kick off in April, so it would be safe to say that we may be seeing an official build within that month or maybe even early May. Well have to see what move HTC brings next, but in the meantime we can get excited for the newest update coming to the Thunderbolt. Whos still rocking a Thunderbolt? Are you excited for Ice Cream Sandwich? Let us know in the comments!

via

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: HTC Thunderbolt becomes part of ICS test program

Anybody else find it strange the email links to a blog instead of google's announcement about Ice Cream Sandwich? But this does bring up a good point, how does one get on the list to test HTC firmware releases? I've always assumed they leak it to users on sites like xda-developers.com.

Don't get me wrong, I still use my Thunderbolt as my primary device so I would love to see ICS released soon. Unlike so many posts of people bad mouthing the Thunderbolt my phone works great no problems like others report on forums.
    -Corey
    Thanked by 4:
    Droid Stew and bigdaddyinpdx like this.

my tbolt is the best smartphone i have owned, ive had the fascinate, droid bionic, droid charge, and the razer, and by far the tbolt is the best, really would love ics on it
    Ed Witles likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by coreymcl View Post
    ...I still use my Thunderbolt as my primary device so I would love to see ICS released soon. Unlike so many posts of people bad mouthing the Thunderbolt my phone works great no problems like others report on forums...
    Same here.
    baztekdroid likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by coreymcl View Post
    Anybody else find it strange the email links to a blog instead of google's announcement about Ice Cream Sandwich?
    Yes. This looks very Phishy to me. If you go to the "source" blog, even the author says it's an "alleged" email that he got thirdhand. And the blog author himself is suspicious of it.

This appears to be a ridiculously optomistic timeline for ICS, and a very unusual way to perform such a test.

I'm thinking anyone who replies to this note would never hear from Verizon, but their spam filter had best be military-grade.

Just sayin'.
    redcat22 likes this.

For me to trust it has to directly come from Verizon

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    Wow, I always thought it was the opposite
    Thanked by:
    recDNA 
    droidman2177 and redcat22 like this.

who knows if ill still have the bolt by then. My upgrade is april 4

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post

I don't want to sound condescending, but you'd be naive to put all your trust into Verizon.
    droidman2177 likes this.

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

On a side note, threads keep popping up about ICS for the Tbolt. This is basically a continuation of this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...cs-via-fb.html

Talking about who likes ICS and who doesn't. It's gonna have bugs or no it won't. The Tbolt hardware can handle ICS and Sense 4.0 or it can't. Getting a little redundant here.

Sorry if i sound like i'm venting, i'm not angry or anything. Redundancy is just a pet peeve.

Not to be rude I wont do an upgrade that hadn't been validated by Verizon. Nor will I upgrade to ICS when available. IF EVER....till the bugs are out. My phone runs great. Why fix what isn't broke

sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    tayswg20 likes this.

Recently Upgraded to the Moto Razzr Max, but still have my T-bolt as a backup. If and when it gets this update will I be able to do the OTA?? My bolt still works great and never had the many bugs and glitches alot of useres seemd to complain about. My own perosnal problems with the Phone where the Reboot bug wich was not as bad as most people experianced but still not a fun time for me, and a few odd bugs (Like the Car Dock simply not working any more) and of course the battery life. (Althou it did improve with the GB Update) I woudl like to keep the Bolt as up to date as posable because A) I still use it at home and will proably pass it on to my oldest son at some point in the next few months. and B) If somehting happens to my Max befor I pass it on to my son it's a good backup phone to have.

So will I be able to get the OTA for the Bolt even thou it is not curently Active when and IF the update ever arives??

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by An-Droid-M View Post
    Recently Upgraded to the Moto Razzr Max, but still have my T-bolt as a backup. If and when it gets this update will I be able to do the OTA?? My bolt still works great and never had the many bugs and glitches alot of useres seemd to complain about. My own perosnal problems with the Phone where the Reboot bug wich was not as bad as most people experianced but still not a fun time for me, and a few odd bugs (Like the Car Dock simply not working any more) and of course the battery life. (Althou it did improve with the GB Update) I woudl like to keep the Bolt as up to date as posable because A) I still use it at home and will proably pass it on to my oldest son at some point in the next few months. and B) If somehting happens to my Max befor I pass it on to my son it's a good backup phone to have.

So will I be able to get the OTA for the Bolt even thou it is not curently Active when and IF the update ever arives??
    Yes just link it to wifi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    Yes just link it to wifi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    You sure? Pretty sure he'd need to re-activate it and put it on Verizon's network to get the OTA. Never read of anyone being able to get an OTA on here over WiFi. He can download the RUU if its available but not the OTA sent out by Verizon.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    ROM
    SfK CM7

Quote Originally Posted by redcat22 View Post
    On a side note, threads keep popping up about ICS for the Tbolt. This is basically a continuation of this thread http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...cs-via-fb.html

Talking about who likes ICS and who doesn't. It's gonna have bugs or no it won't. The Tbolt hardware can handle ICS and Sense 4.0 or it can't. Getting a little redundant here.

Sorry if i sound like i'm venting, i'm not angry or anything. Redundancy is just a pet peeve.
    You can say that again.

I read somewhere that the HTC Sensation is getting a Sense 3.6 (which is supposed to be a Sense 4.0 Lite). Maybe thats what we will get on the Thunderbolt due to the hardware constraints
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    You sure? Pretty sure he'd need to re-activate it and put it on Verizon's network to get the OTA. Never read of anyone being able to get an OTA on here over WiFi. He can download the RUU if its available but not the OTA sent out by Verizon.
    It can be downloaded over wifi. Don't you use wifi in your house?

Quote Originally Posted by blackjaguar25 View Post
    It can be downloaded over wifi. Don't you use wifi in your house?
    Nah, with unlimited data I don't need to worry about it.

I don't remember anyone talking about getting the previous OTAs over WiFi when they came out. Also, not sure how Verizon would know your phone needed the update unless it was hooked to their service. If it's just using WiFi, Verizon wouldn't see it on the network and therefore would not send the OTA to it.
    Last edited by bjboucher; 03-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioG View Post
    I read somewhere that the HTC Sensation is getting a Sense 3.6 (which is supposed to be a Sense 4.0 Lite). Maybe thats what we will get on the Thunderbolt due to the hardware constraints
    Hardware constraints? 1ghz processor, 756mb ram not good enough? Damn. That sounds good enough for me. Since sense 4.0 is supposed to be lighter, or less cluttered. Back to basics sense. So it should work great on tbolt right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.0.7

If any of you follow Htc on Google+, they already confirmed on February 17th, that the Thunderbolt would get ICS

Sent from my Bamf'd HTC Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    Nah, with unlimited data I don't need to worry about it.

I don't remember anyone talking about getting the previous OTAs over WiFi when they came out. Also, not sure how Verizon would know your phone needed the update unless it was hooked to their service. If it's just using WiFi, Verizon wouldn't see it on the network and therefore would not send the OTA to it.
    Ive got a ACER Tablet and I use it with WiFi only and get Updates for that. My understanding was that the Updates come from the manufacturer and that Verizon monitors them. Somebudy told me that so long as you have a conection to the internet you shoudl be able to DL the update because the server it looks for is the same one no mater how you conect to it (VZW's Data plan or your own WiFi from home) On the same thought somebudy else told me that the OTA's are only avalable from VZW and there network and can't be be goten uless your conected to them (Using an activated device) So realy inobudy seems to know LOL. I guess Ill find out IF we ever do get ICS. I supose I can re Activate the Phone get the Update then Re Activate My Max if it comes down to it.

I have a wifi only OG Droid and received an update about a month ago. Talk about lag! It takes about 10 seconds just to swipe from one page to another! I'd root it if I thought it would speed it up. With google voice and wifi everywhere i go it is actually a functional phone but too slow ti use apps or internet.

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Xxw0lfxX View Post
    If any of you follow Htc on Google+, they already confirmed on February 17th, that the Thunderbolt would get ICS

Sent from my Bamf'd HTC Thunderbolt
    See what I mean?

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by An-Droid-M View Post
    Ive got a ACER Tablet and I use it with WiFi only and get Updates for that. My understanding was that the Updates come from the manufacturer and that Verizon monitors them. Somebudy told me that so long as you have a conection to the internet you shoudl be able to DL the update because the server it looks for is the same one no mater how you conect to it (VZW's Data plan or your own WiFi from home) On the same thought somebudy else told me that the OTA's are only avalable from VZW and there network and can't be be goten uless your conected to them (Using an activated device) So realy inobudy seems to know LOL. I guess Ill find out IF we ever do get ICS. I supose I can re Activate the Phone get the Update then Re Activate My Max if it comes down to it.
    Did any of the "somebudy" (somebody?) you talked to work for HTC or Verizon?

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by dontlookatme View Post
    Hardware constraints? 1ghz processor, 756mb ram not good enough? Damn. That sounds good enough for me. Since sense 4.0 is supposed to be lighter, or less cluttered. Back to basics sense. So it should work great on tbolt right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Yes the Tbolt is a capable device but Sense doesn't have 756mb ram to work with because of other apps and processes using ram. Sense 4.0 is a better fit for phones that have dual core processors which generally have more ram, i.e. the Rezound.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast