how to delete email history from autofill

billdorn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
i cant for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the email history of contacts that are not even on my phone.

i have accidently typed emails wrong before, and other peoples addresses from CC's, or 1 time random emails that i dont want saved with the same name as other people always show up.

im about ready to wipe the phone i'm so annoyed.

i have already eliminated all the email accounts, exchange & hotmail, and then when i just add google back i can start to type an email and low and behold the emails are all still there, even after wiping the "people" & contacts data. some other things in mail have no cache but wont let me clear data.

i have searched and searched. and several people say remove the account and re-add it. i just did that, and its not working, there must be one more step somehwere im missing.

help please

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't know for sure if this will work but try:

Go to Messages > Settings (use menu key) > General. See if the show sent message history, call history and emaill address are checked or not (3 separate check boxes).

This worked for me when old addresses or one time addresses kept popping up.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're syncing with a Google account, log on to it on the web and look for them in your contacts. It may be under other contacts.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
What email program are you using?

It could possibly be a personal spelling dictionary issue...

Check: Menus, Settings, Language & Keyboard, Touch Input, Personal Dictionary, Edit personal dictionary, Menu, Delete... then scroll through and see if your mispelled addresses are there. If so, checkmark all of the bad ones and hit delete.

Also you could check: Search key, Menu, Search Settings, Searchable items, remove the checkmark from "Messages".

Anyhow, maybe one of these will work.

-Frank

billdorn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
They are not contacts, its a email log in the phone hidden somewhere.

I'm using the HTC mail client, all 3 accounts, exchange , hotmail, Google show the same history in the auto complete.

I just checked the dictionary and they are not there.

I found someone say you have to remove the accounts and then delete a certain cache, but I can't find that forum again .

This question is all over the internet, but I have found no solution to it. I can't believe thus doesn't bother more people, its annoying to keep emailing my wife wrong if Im not careful and pick the wrong one.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
They are not contacts, its a email log in the phone hidden somewhere.

I'm using the HTC mail client, all 3 accounts, exchange , hotmail, Google show the same history in the auto complete.

I just checked the dictionary and they are not there.

I found someone say you have to remove the accounts and then delete a certain cache, but I can't find that forum again .

This question is all over the internet, but I have found no solution to it. I can't believe thus doesn't bother more people, its annoying to keep emailing my wife wrong if Im not careful and pick the wrong one.
Under People, Menu, View, how many accounts do you have people listed under? Have you tried uncheckiing them one by one and testing?

-Frank

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have that app on my phone anymore, so I can't test this, but in some apps, when the auto-complete selection pops up, you can long-press it and you'll get the option to delete that choice. HTH

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

billdorn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have that app on my phone anymore, so I can't test this, but in some apps, when the auto-complete selection pops up, you can long-press it and you'll get the option to delete that choice. HTH

Sent from my Sinclair ZX-80 using Tapatalk

Tried this but its a no go

billdorn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Under People, Menu, View, how many accounts do you have people listed under? Have you tried uncheckiing them one by one and testing?

-Frank

I removed every account so there was nothing but 5 contacts on my phone.

Re-added just one account so I can even do a test email and all the old emails contacts still pop up

billdorn

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
MENU-SETTINGS-APPLICATIONS- MANAGE APPLICATIONS- SELECT ALL- MAIL- FORCE STOP – CLEAR DATA- THEN REINSTALL YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNTs

this is what i keep finding posted as the solution. but on my phone, the clear data is greyed out and i cannot do this part of it.

Gimpx

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well I have a solution for this.
I am on a Galaxy Nexus with 4.1.1

Goto:
Settings
Apps
All
Scroll to contacts storage
Clear Data
Go back a screen
Select Contacts
Clear Data

it doesn't remove your contact list (my concern when it warns you about everything it will remove), but it does remove the autofill email addresses.
Now spread this to every forum that has the same question with no results!!!
WINNER!

Theman555

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine deleted all the contacts and then repopulated them from my email account.

Caution! Backup you data first.

If the numbers are only on your phone you will loose them.

Last edited:

madsaints

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
this happened to my phone's gmail and yahoo mail. i was able to delete the unwanted email contact with this:
1. write new message in yahoo mail.
2. fill in the "To" field (recipient) with the unwanted email address.
3. once the email contact is there, press and hold it, a window will appear, then press "view contact details"
4. press "edit"
5. scroll all the way down the Edit Contact page and hit the red Delete Contact button.
This automatically deleted the email address from my gmail autofill as well.
I had to repeat same process in my tablet and it also worked.

Cosmo2407

May 27, 2013
Visit site
With a Galaxy S4, go to settings, application manager and then select "All" from the top, rather than "downloaded" or "running". Find an app called "LogApp" - delete cache and then disable. It will delete the email log history in the messages section.

S B2014

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes,Yes,Yes!
That's the only solution that WORKS!!!
Thank you!
I am on HTC One T-Mobile

This is the reply to "madsaints"

Last edited:

Jaydeetas

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
With a Galaxy S4, go to settings, application manager and then select "All" from the top, rather than "downloaded" or "running". Find an app called "LogApp" - delete cache and then disable. It will delete the email log history in the messages section.

I have been fighting to delete emails address' that come up in the drop down box for months!!!!! I have the Galaxy S4 and I didn't have the "Log App" to delete. I spat it, went to emails and delete the cache and all data. Fantastic. Reset them and no more emails in the drop down bar.. BUT, you can go to logs and they are ALL there *fumes* and can you delete this log??? NOOOOO of course you can't! Iphone is looking good.

Christopher J

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
This seems to work on my Samsung Note,
Settings / Storage / Applications / ( Put them in A-Z order ) / Log Provider/ Clear Data.
All of my email logs were then gone.

Thank you.

Christopher J

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Update............And yet after deleting the email logs, the Autofill still has all the old email address's , even though they are not in my Contacts anymore.

Christopher J

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Update 2............Settings / All Applications / Email / Clear Data.................Reinstall email address's gone the Auto fill from the past but will accumulate again now I suppose.