Foxfi with HTC phones?

sheltieowner

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I heard about the FoxFi app. It says the wifi doesn't work for HTC phones, but the Bluetooth hotspot/tether does work for HTC phones. What does this mean? What would I get if I used this app if I have an HTC Thunderbolt?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
If you have a tablet, such as the Prime, you can tether the Thunderbolt to the Prime. That's what I do. I'm not sure what else you can do, as I haven't tried to do anything else.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried to run it and it gave me the same thing.

I have used BARNICLE and Easy Tether and they have worked fine. I haven't used them in awhile though

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
If you have a tablet, such as the Prime, you can tether the Thunderbolt to the Prime. That's what I do. I'm not sure what else you can do, as I haven't tried to do anything else.

Can you shed some light on how you are doing this? As far as I know the prime is unable to connect via bluetooth due to a missing file.

The only way to get around this is to Root and install the missing tun.ko file.

If this is what you have done maybe you can send me a step by step on how to get the tun.ko file on the prime, if you didn't do this how are you connecting via bluetooth?

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Can you shed some light on how you are doing this? As far as I know the prime is unable to connect via bluetooth due to a missing file.

The only way to get around this is to Root and install the missing tun.ko file.

If this is what you have done maybe you can send me a step by step on how to get the tun.ko file on the prime, if you didn't do this how are you connecting via bluetooth?

I can try my best! I am not near my prime or bolt right now, but I can tell you what I remember, which is hopefully enough. When I get home, I can make a full tutorial or something if needed.

So, I am not rooted, I just use FoxFi on my Bolt, and "PDA Tablet NEW" on my Prime.

I am using bluetooth to connect my Bolt to my tablet. Within foxfi, I click use bluetooth. On my tablet, i open up PDA Tablet New, and I click "connect." I select "connect with bluetooth" and then (make sure you have bluetooth on both the bolt and prime) I pair the two devices. One they are paired and connected, I think that is all!

Reactions: Randomhero180

Randomhero180

May 23, 2011
elementdesignllc.com
thanks a lot! I will give this a try when I get home and report back if it works, seems simple enough.

Edit: I have been waiting for something to work! Thank you for the help it works perfectly, I am using it right now to post this edit.

Liked and thanked.

Last edited:

t_rexathon9

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I got this app as soon as I became aware of it. It works perfectly to connect my Prime using the TBolt!

Those of you using an HTC phone to tether to a Prime tablet, is your Prime running Honeycomb or ICS??

I currently have an HTC Inspire and am almost decided on purchasing a Prime. I want to make sure that my Inspire can tether to a Prime with ICS.

Thanks

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Those of you using an HTC phone to tether to a Prime tablet, is your Prime running Honeycomb or ICS??

I currently have an HTC Inspire and am almost decided on purchasing a Prime. I want to make sure that my Inspire can tether to a Prime with ICS.

Thanks

ICS. Because we have HTC phones, we need to connect using BlueTooth but it works flawlessly.

t_rexathon9

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
ICS. Because we have HTC phones, we need to connect using BlueTooth but it works flawlessly.

Glad to hear this. In the FoxFi Help it says it will not work with the Prime ICS because the Prime ICS firmware does not include the tun.ko module. Maybe they've gotten past that. But I've also read that not all devices work the same, so I'm hoping it works with my Inspire. I haven't been able to find a forum with someone cofirming that they tethered a prime to an Inspire. Crossing my fingers!

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I used it to connect my Xoom (ICS) to my Thunderbolt. Worked well. You install PDAnet Tablet on the tablet, and it connects to the Foxfi client on the phone via bluetooth.

AdmanAbou

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I got a Transformer Prime on March 15th. It updated to ICS out of the box, and has had maybe two small updates since then. That day, I downloaded FoxFi on my Droid Incredible and PDAnet on my Prime. It was a specific version of PDAnet that said ICS in the description. It works great wherever I am, even when my phone doesn't have reception the tablet will pull up web pages fine. I can't download anything over the Bluetooth tether, likes Apps or songs, but I use my sister's Droid X with FoxFi if I really need to. As far as I can tell, HTC phones running Gingerbread are super similar, especially if they have the same version of Sense, so it should work fine on an Inspire. I plan on trying this with the Incredible 4G, if it ever comes out.

If anyone knows, I would love to tether my iPhone to the Incredible as well without jailbreaking