Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    ROM
    bugless beast

Default Is anyone else having google voice problems?

Today I hace been having problems with voice. It will show the message but when i open it it is gone.

I have one odd problem...when I compose a sms from scratch it always goes right through. If I reply to a text I just got it goes right through.

If I reply to an older sms...maybe 3 days or.older the sms seems to just show the red sending signal forever and the app force closes when I try to exit.

Everything else works perfectly. It's so odd. Ive used gv with sense roms and aosp roms and always have the same problem.

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

Default Re: Is anyone else having google voice problems?

Yesterday I had an issue where I missed a call through Google Voice. I then tried to call the number back through Google Voice and it wouldn't connect at all but only that number. I called several other people and it worked as normal. Albeit, I *67 the number and called from my normal line.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    I have one odd problem...when I compose a sms from scratch it always goes right through. If I reply to a text I just got it goes right through.

If I reply to an older sms...maybe 3 days or.older the sms seems to just show the red sending signal forever and the app force closes when I try to exit.

Everything else works perfectly. It's so odd. Ive used gv with sense roms and aosp roms and always have the same problem.
    I started having this problem too and what I think it is is that after an update a couple months back, Google Voice now tries to group all texts by day, while previously it would group them in a kind of "conversation" that could span multiple days if you kept replying to texts in that same thread.

Basically, what I do is that when I want to send a text to someone and I haven't gotten one from them that day yet, I compose it from scratch. If I have a thread open with that person from that day then I can reply and it works just fine. I haven't had any FCs or sending problems since doing this.

I thought I did enough research before porting my main cell number to google voice... big mistake. I did not know the number the callers would be calling me from would be different from their verizon number (a google connecting number). As you may have guessed, almost $600.00 in "out of plan" overage charges for one month. Verizon says sorry not our problem... Guess what google says.

Anyone know how I can get google or verizon to pay up?

I don't get it? Did you exceed the monthly minutes or were you simply charged BECAUSE you use gv? 1000's of us do. Are we all going to get a bill like that?

Yes, My plan was 700 minutes and I average about 350 minutes used per month. Most of my calls are verizon to verizon (in plan, no charge). Verizon may cut me a little break but not much. Honestly, it wasn't Verizons fault (I can't believe I said that... lol). I really liked the features from google voice... but this is not good. I can't find anywhere a warning about the use of a "connection number" or the possibility of "out of plan" charges for calls from a verizon phone. I would imagine that even if you have AT&T, which includes all cell providers on their "cell to cell" in plan, You would still get charged minutes for the same reason. That is a real deal breaker in my opinion and I should have been told this up front. My bill is usually $315.00 per month (I have 5 lines & a usb modem) This month my bill was $998.00.

what about those of us who only use gv for voicemail? will we also be charged?

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by rickelectric View Post
    Yes, My plan was 700 minutes and I average about 350 minutes used per month. Most of my calls are verizon to verizon (in plan, no charge). Verizon may cut me a little break but not much. Honestly, it wasn't Verizons fault (I can't believe I said that... lol). I really liked the features from google voice... but this is not good. I can't find anywhere a warning about the use of a "connection number" or the possibility of "out of plan" charges for calls from a verizon phone. I would imagine that even if you have AT&T, which includes all cell providers on their "cell to cell" in plan, You would still get charged minutes for the same reason. That is a real deal breaker in my opinion and I should have been told this up front. My bill is usually $315.00 per month (I have 5 lines & a usb modem) This month my bill was $998.00.
    Did you set Google voice to pass the callerID of the actual calling number rather than your Google number?

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rickelectric View Post
    I thought I did enough research before porting my main cell number to google voice... big mistake.
    You PORTED your number from Verizon to Google.

That is a bad thing. That's like breaking any contract that you have with Verizon.
    Basically, as though you walking into AT&T and told them to port your Verizon number to AT&T. I assume that was a fairly big chunk of the charge, breaking the contract.
    Then you continued to use Verizon, so they billed you for useage too.

Never port your number when under contract, unless you want to pay big.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

what about those of us who only use gv for voicemail? will we also be charged?
    Not if you do not port your number.

I have no idea. What setting is that?

When I look at settings i see my google voice number and next to it it says change/port. Below it says mobile (which is checked) then verizon in parentheses and my verizon number below followed by the word mobile.
    Last edited by recDNA; 05-01-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Lots of misunderstanding in the replys, sorry for the confusion.... First of all, Frank XS... Yes I did. But because it is a web based service GV uses connection numbers to contact your cell phone. That number is the ID number that shows up rather than the actual verizon wireless number that placed the call. Worwig... The number I ported out was not under contract... it had been added as a 9.99 add a line to my plan activated without a contract because I owned the phone. I presently have the max lines with my account and Verizon loves me lol. recDNA.... If a caller connects with your phone either by speaking with you or your voicemail picks up the call and that caller is a landline... you will use minutes off your plan. I hope this helps to further state my frustration with my end results using google voice. By the way I signed up for GV in 2009 during the beta and thought the bugs were worked out, my bad, they need to go back to the drawing board.

Frank XS.... Regarding caller ID, I did get one suggestion after the fact... Change the setting to ID the google number instead and set up that number as a "friends & family" number so I won't get charged in the future. But, with that I would loose my caller ID, not an option in my opinion.

Let me step back for a minute and give a big picture... I receive all calls to the newly ported google number which forwards to my Verizon phone. I did this to take advantage of the great features on google. the problems I am experiencing come from forwarding calls to my verizon phone, not voice mailing to google. Very sorry for the confusing nature of this matter.

I have no idea. What setting is that?

When I look at settings i see my google voice number and next to it it says change/port. Below it says mobile (which is checked) then verizon in parentheses and my verizon number below followed by the word mobile.
    people have responded to me but i still don't know if I'm ported or not? I don't want to be ported. I want to pay for my minutes. Can u tell from the settings I told you abouve if I am ported?

I guess an explanation of the term porting would help you best... To port a number means to leave one carrier and keep your number, bringing it with you to your next carrier. When I ported my number to gv, I told them my verizon number and they activated it on their system. This cancelled my account with verizon (be sure you are not under contract for that number or you will be charged for an early termination) I have mutiple lines with verizon wireless. I actually started up a new line after porting the other one out. At the end of this post you will find a link that explains it much better. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by rickelectric; 05-01-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Typos and additional info

No, I was hoping you could just tell me if I'm ported or not from my description of my settings.

Let.me put it another way...if I've never paid google $20 to port me does this mean I'm not ported?

recDNA... My apologies for answering your question in a manner you would not grasp and my failed attempt to be helpful... With the limited knowledge of your situation, my best guess would be “no, you are not ported” Let me ask you this... did you use the google number that google gave you? If so, you are not ported. Or, did you tell them to use a number you already owned in another provider (ex. Verizon, AT&T, Charter, Comcast, Vonage, etc…) If, so yes you are ported. In other words… GV assigned the number=Not Ported… You assigned your old number to GV=Ported. With that all having been said… that was not my original issue… lol Hope that helps.
    Last edited by rickelectric; 05-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.

This is the real issue... any (cell or landline) number that calls into GV (regardless of whether or not it is a ported number) and then gets forwarded to a cell phone will use minutes off that persons cell plan (and their own cell plan, if applicable). In other words... Verizon caller to Verizon customer = no charge for minutes used... Verizon caller to GV to Verizon customer = Charged minutes off your plan ( and possible overages)

You have helped now & i know that wasnt your issue. Thanks. I can now see why vzw doesnt support the gv app.
    I was concerned about how YOUR situation applied to ME. Since the sum of my v to v, night, weekend, and landline minutes never would add up to my max total it sounds like I would get no overages even if I were ported.
    I would imagine this topic is HUGE at gv forums?

May I ask how you will avoid this problem in the future? One thing I hate about gv and gmail too for that matter is there is no way to totally UNenroll.
    Last edited by recDNA; 05-04-2012 at 06:13 AM.

I'm glad I could help... One of my reasons for posting in the first place was to help prevent others from the same pitfall. My solution was to put that GV number on "Do Not Disturb" then create a new custom greeting giving them my direct number to Verizon, (which was my original landline number, but thats another story), and also telling them messages left in that mailbox would not be retrieved (so they would not leave messages and use minutes). Now I have the daunting task of trying to reduce the charges.

One more thought... check out youmail.com for voicemail on your cell. It has a lot of the same features like GV but is just a voicemail app. It does not route your calls like GV. I am just checking this app out now... hopefully there are no surprizes.

So does your voicemail from calls to your vzw number (do u even have a vzw number?) go to google voice or the original vzw voicemail?

Assuming you are for the moment back on vzw voicemail how do you get it working again? I remember to use gv for voicemail I had to dial some number and hang up. To get back on vzw voicemail is there some number(s) I have to dial?

If i click do not disturb while gv is handling vm for my vzw number will calls to my vzw still connect to me first or will all calls to vzw number and gv number go directly to gvm?
    Last edited by recDNA; 05-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.

So does your voicemail from calls to your vzw number (do u even have a vzw number?) go to google voice or the original vzw voicemail?

Assuming you are for the moment back on vzw voicemail how do you get it working again? I remember to use gv for voicemail I had to dial some number and hang up. To get back on vzw voicemail is there some number(s) I have to dial?

If i click do not disturb while gv is handling vm for my vzw number will calls to my vzw still connect to me first or will all calls to vzw number and gv number go directly to gvm?
    Yes, I do have a few verizon wireless numbers & currently, I'm using "youmail.com" to handle my voicemail. If I use GV, it may use minutes off my verizon plan (I'm not sure about that, I just can't take a chance right now)

I'm actually not storing any messages for that number but if I did they would still be going to GV. I told callers in my greeting to use my other cell number and not to leave any messages in the mail box that they called (GV). I believe you are correct, you would call another number again to swap the voicemail back, but I'm not sure what the number would be.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what will happen in your senario with the do not disturb feature. The best thing to do would be to use another phone to make some calls into your numbers to get factual results.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast