Anyone care about new $30 fee

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
First, in case anyone hasn't heard, this is about the new (starting April 22nd, 2012) "upgrade" fee of $30 for existing customers to upgrade and initiate a new two year contract. Read all about it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/166948-new-upgrade-fees.html

Yeah, I care a lot. Mainly on principle. They cut the NE2, the Annual upgrade, the 1 year contracts, and now (according to the article) it will cost an additional $30 to upgrade after fulfilling your current two year contract and when initiating a brand new 2 year contract. Ridiculous.

Personally, I think there is much more to come on this. I think the customer backlash will see the policy "clarified" (you know how they like to call it "clarification"), or changed. At the very least I think you'll see it often used as a "perk". Especially on higher-minute plans (i.e. sure, Sir, we'll be glad to waive the upgrade fee if you upgrade now -- maybe even early).

Time will tell. But I don't think we've heard the last of the VZW "clarification" on this new policy.

-Frank

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think it sucks. I don't use any of the services this fee is supposed to subsidize and I think it's wrong to require customers to pay for services they don't use. Those that use the services should pay their own way.

Sent from my Rezound via Tapatalk 2

antbolt

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Ya I don't know what services they are talking about ,I've never heard or used them. I like my Tbolt so I'll probably be keeping it longer than I thought if this fee doesn't go away.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
As long as I can keep grandfathering my unlimited data plan an extra $30 every 2 years is not a deal breaker. Although I agree with all of you here. What is the justification for this? It's shoddy business practices rather than the actual "nickel a day over 2 years" cash outlay that bugs me.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I want a guarantee of service. We pay wayyyy too much money to get fed the crap about no guarantees. The fees keep coming and I still can't even send a text sometimes. It's like we have a 4 way monopoly in this country. Fees go up and perks go down. As soon as one carrier gets away with it the rest follow suit.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
No, I don't really care. I pay Netflix $8 a month and barely watch it, xbox live I don't even know how much...and rarely use it..

I subscribe to a high speed news group...that I rarely use now. Used to use it alot before a few months ago.

How many times will this fee happen? Not enough for me to really care. I would and should cancel everything else I mentioned. For me, this fee would be alot more reasonable and worth it.

EDIT:

I forgot to add I subscribe to Consumer Reports...$5 or $6 a month. I use that the least of everything I mentioned.

Yea......in the end this fee is nothing compared to what else I dish out and rarely use. I subscribe to all the things mentioned for the convenience. Every once in a while the newsgroups is needed and every once in a blue moon Netflix has something worth watching when I can take advantage of using Netflix: doc office, auto body shop, public transportation, etc.

This fee for upgrading my phone once every 1 and 1/2 years? Not that big a deal IMO.

Last edited:

pingplayer01

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't care. It only applies to UPGRADES, not when you buy something full retail when no uprgade is available or bring in your own phone. Its only $30. And since upgrades are every 20 months now, its not like you will pay it a lot. You'll only pay it once every like two years. Plus, AT&T and Sprint already do it, and they charge $36. People are making it a bigger deal than it is. People are going to claim its a break of contract and want to leave without paying their etf, but its not. However, I do agree with most people. Don't charge me the fee if I don't take the classes, have you transfer my info from one phone to the next, or waste the rep's time with questions. They should just charge it when those people need it, not to everyone. But coming from a rep standpoint, it makes sense because some people really do waste my time with stupid questions and lessons, that I don't get paid for answering, but at the same time, not a penny of that fee comes to me for having some old lady waste my time.

Last edited:

rookie83

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS I have 3 smart phones so when I upgrade they are gonna expect $90 to upgrade all 3 F*&^%$$^& THat
Im going to walmart getting 3 pay as you go and saving $3000.00 a year
MY cell bill has become my biggest monthly utility bill time to send a message it's even more than my electric with ac running

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it works out to $1.25 a month ($30 divided by 24 months). Drop in the bucket as far as I'm concerned. I've got bigger things to worry about. Besides, consider it good will for those in need to use the "Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever." :)

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
As long as my unlimited data is secure...the fee is pennies a day on a two year. I am not okay with it, but can it be worse?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I want a guarantee of service. We pay wayyyy too much money to get fed the crap about no guarantees. The fees keep coming and I still can't even send a text sometimes. It's like we have a 4 way monopoly in this country. Fees go up and perks go down. As soon as one carrier gets away with it the rest follow suit.

4 way monopoly? Uh huh. Verizon seems to be following suit, not starting the trend. Verizon was not the first to get rid of unlimited data, not the first to get rid of one year contracts.. if you have a problem with texts, then you should get them to replace the phone under warranty. This is also open enrollment for the extended warranty.

Snipperdo17

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
No, I don't really care. I pay Netflix $8 a month and barely watch it, xbox live I don't even know how much...and rarely use it..

I subscribe to a high speed news group...that I rarely use now. Used to use it alot before a few months ago.

How many times will this fee happen? Not enough for me to really care. I would and should cancel everything else I mentioned. For me, this fee would be alot more reasonable and worth it.

EDIT:

I forgot to add I subscribe to Consumer Reports...$5 or $6 a month. I use that the least of everything I mentioned.

Yea......in the end this fee is nothing compared to what else I dish out and rarely use. I subscribe to all the things mentioned for the convenience. Every once in a while the newsgroups is needed and every once in a blue moon Netflix has something worth watching when I can take advantage of using Netflix: doc office, auto body shop, public transportation, etc.

This fee for upgrading my phone once every 1 and 1/2 years? Not that big a deal IMO.

Not everyone is as careless with their money as you. To many people, this fee is pointless and unnecessary that could be better spent on something important.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone is as careless with their money as you. To many people, this fee is pointless and unnecessary that could be better spent on something important.
It darn sure doesn't go far toward customer loyalty, that's for sure. I find it insulting.

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma