Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone care about new $30 fee

I was wondering what you all thought about the new $30 fee starting this month.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Default Re: Anyone care about new $30 fee

First, in case anyone hasn't heard, this is about the new (starting April 22nd, 2012) "upgrade" fee of $30 for existing customers to upgrade and initiate a new two year contract. Read all about it here: New Upgrade Fees

Yeah, I care a lot. Mainly on principle. They cut the NE2, the Annual upgrade, the 1 year contracts, and now (according to the article) it will cost an additional $30 to upgrade after fulfilling your current two year contract and when initiating a brand new 2 year contract. Ridiculous.

Personally, I think there is much more to come on this. I think the customer backlash will see the policy "clarified" (you know how they like to call it "clarification"), or changed. At the very least I think you'll see it often used as a "perk". Especially on higher-minute plans (i.e. sure, Sir, we'll be glad to waive the upgrade fee if you upgrade now -- maybe even early).

Time will tell. But I don't think we've heard the last of the VZW "clarification" on this new policy.

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 04-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Maybe I'll just keep my Thunderbolt longer than I expected. She's workin' pretty well at the moment.

I think it sucks. I don't use any of the services this fee is supposed to subsidize and I think it's wrong to require customers to pay for services they don't use. Those that use the services should pay their own way.

Sent from my Rezound via Tapatalk 2
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
    Mark_Venture and dmmarck like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ya I don't know what services they are talking about ,I've never heard or used them. I like my Tbolt so I'll probably be keeping it longer than I thought if this fee doesn't go away.

As long as I can keep grandfathering my unlimited data plan an extra $30 every 2 years is not a deal breaker. Although I agree with all of you here. What is the justification for this? It's shoddy business practices rather than the actual "nickel a day over 2 years" cash outlay that bugs me.
    Jo5329 likes this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ROM
    Affinity/Franco

I want a guarantee of service. We pay wayyyy too much money to get fed the crap about no guarantees. The fees keep coming and I still can't even send a text sometimes. It's like we have a 4 way monopoly in this country. Fees go up and perks go down. As soon as one carrier gets away with it the rest follow suit.
    “There’s always something to look at if you open your eyes!”
    -The Doctor-
    Jonneh likes this.

yes I care. I hope it backfires and bites 'em in the arse.

No, I don't really care. I pay Netflix $8 a month and barely watch it, xbox live I don't even know how much...and rarely use it..

I subscribe to a high speed news group...that I rarely use now. Used to use it alot before a few months ago.

How many times will this fee happen? Not enough for me to really care. I would and should cancel everything else I mentioned. For me, this fee would be alot more reasonable and worth it.

EDIT:

I forgot to add I subscribe to Consumer Reports...$5 or $6 a month. I use that the least of everything I mentioned.

Yea......in the end this fee is nothing compared to what else I dish out and rarely use. I subscribe to all the things mentioned for the convenience. Every once in a while the newsgroups is needed and every once in a blue moon Netflix has something worth watching when I can take advantage of using Netflix: doc office, auto body shop, public transportation, etc.

This fee for upgrading my phone once every 1 and 1/2 years? Not that big a deal IMO.
    Last edited by jroc; 04-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.

It's crap. I hope they lose business because of it. They won't though...nowhere for people to go.

ROM
    Stock

Honestly, I don't care. It only applies to UPGRADES, not when you buy something full retail when no uprgade is available or bring in your own phone. Its only $30. And since upgrades are every 20 months now, its not like you will pay it a lot. You'll only pay it once every like two years. Plus, AT&T and Sprint already do it, and they charge $36. People are making it a bigger deal than it is. People are going to claim its a break of contract and want to leave without paying their etf, but its not. However, I do agree with most people. Don't charge me the fee if I don't take the classes, have you transfer my info from one phone to the next, or waste the rep's time with questions. They should just charge it when those people need it, not to everyone. But coming from a rep standpoint, it makes sense because some people really do waste my time with stupid questions and lessons, that I don't get paid for answering, but at the same time, not a penny of that fee comes to me for having some old lady waste my time.
    Last edited by pingplayer01; 04-12-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    jroc likes this.

what a great incentive!!!!! wow i am so happy with your service that i am willing to pay an extra $30?? yea right!!!

ROM
    stock updates

SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS I have 3 smart phones so when I upgrade they are gonna expect $90 to upgrade all 3 F*&^%$$^& THat
    Im going to walmart getting 3 pay as you go and saving $3000.00 a year
    MY cell bill has become my biggest monthly utility bill time to send a message it's even more than my electric with ac running
    bigcatman likes this.

Looks like it works out to $1.25 a month ($30 divided by 24 months). Drop in the bucket as far as I'm concerned. I've got bigger things to worry about. Besides, consider it good will for those in need to use the "Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever."
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 04-12-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Corrected math
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

As long as my unlimited data is secure...the fee is pennies a day on a two year. I am not okay with it, but can it be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Xfanatic View Post
    I want a guarantee of service. We pay wayyyy too much money to get fed the crap about no guarantees. The fees keep coming and I still can't even send a text sometimes. It's like we have a 4 way monopoly in this country. Fees go up and perks go down. As soon as one carrier gets away with it the rest follow suit.
    4 way monopoly? Uh huh. Verizon seems to be following suit, not starting the trend. Verizon was not the first to get rid of unlimited data, not the first to get rid of one year contracts.. if you have a problem with texts, then you should get them to replace the phone under warranty. This is also open enrollment for the extended warranty.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts

All the more reason to think about switching to Sprint and that new HTC EVO.

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    No, I don't really care. I pay Netflix $8 a month and barely watch it, xbox live I don't even know how much...and rarely use it..

I subscribe to a high speed news group...that I rarely use now. Used to use it alot before a few months ago.

How many times will this fee happen? Not enough for me to really care. I would and should cancel everything else I mentioned. For me, this fee would be alot more reasonable and worth it.

EDIT:

I forgot to add I subscribe to Consumer Reports...$5 or $6 a month. I use that the least of everything I mentioned.

Yea......in the end this fee is nothing compared to what else I dish out and rarely use. I subscribe to all the things mentioned for the convenience. Every once in a while the newsgroups is needed and every once in a blue moon Netflix has something worth watching when I can take advantage of using Netflix: doc office, auto body shop, public transportation, etc.

This fee for upgrading my phone once every 1 and 1/2 years? Not that big a deal IMO.
    Not everyone is as careless with their money as you. To many people, this fee is pointless and unnecessary that could be better spent on something important.

ROM
    Thundershed Version 1.5

I dont care, as long as verizon stays on top

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Kylekoz17 View Post
    Not everyone is as careless with their money as you. To many people, this fee is pointless and unnecessary that could be better spent on something important.
    It darn sure doesn't go far toward customer loyalty, that's for sure. I find it insulting.

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    All the more reason to think about switching to Sprint and that new HTC EVO.
    Tried that....nah....crappy coverage is crappy

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Looks like it works out to $1.25 a month ($30 divided by 24 months). Drop in the bucket as far as I'm concerned. I've got bigger things to worry about. Besides, consider it good will for those in need to use the "Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever."
    That's a poor way to rationalize the fee. Of course $1.25 a month is a drop in the bucket and for that matter so is $4 a month(only $1 a week!) so why not let them charge you $96 for the upgrade? It's a ridiculous fee and just another way they're trying to squeeze every cent they can from customers.

Personally, I'm going to do what I've done in the past and wave my bill in their face and ask them if they'd like to lose me to Ma Bell.

I'm not happy with the fee, but it's not like I'm leaving or anything.

So far all of the users who don't care about having to pay more don't seem to be worrying about money like most others do. One user even bragged about how much money they waste each month for things they don't need.

This new policy has been done before...it was called an activation fee. That's all I see this new policy as being. They essentially want you to hand over more money just for the privilege of using their service...as though we don't already pay enough. Just another way for them to nickel and dime us.

If by the time I am up for an upgrade and if this fee is still there, I'll probably go to another carrier. I already know that with other carriers I could save money, even if they have a similar fee. The grandfathered unlimited data plan is the only reason I still use Verizon...the incentives to stay are dwindling.

^Its not about bragging about wasting money for things they dont need...its about spending money on things they want. No one said you HAVE to upgrade. Thats a choice you are making to get the latest n greatest.

I still have a Droid 1 and Droid X1. Both activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylekoz17 View Post
    How much do you spend a week on lunch? I have a family plan that has 3 lines, 2 with tiered data plans.

I spend more in a month on data plans than I would for this fee....thats gonna be paid every year and 1/2.

If you subscribe to Netflix....do you get your money's worth? Or do you use it when you can?

I think most of us throw away more money in a week, month than we realize. Factor in habits like smoking, drinking....and yea....we probably throw away more money in a week, month than we realize.
    Last edited by jroc; 04-12-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast