Help! I can't stop myself from buying Apps!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Damn... I'm addicted I guess. I seem to be on a seafood seeapp diet. I see an app and I buy it. :)

Speaking of which... I've just recently bought FlightBoard and FlightTrack. Way cool. FlightBoard shows the real time live flight board at whatever airport you choose. Just like you were standing in front of it at the airport. FlightTrack shows all the detailed information including a map with the planes course (if still enroute). Really very neat apps. They work together, although they can be bought separately. ~$4 each. I find in this Android world the apps are so cheap I can't help myself from paying (rather than using free versions) just to support the authors. Great environment here.

But, I digress... I'm really not trying to get anyone else hooked on this addiction. :D Is there anyone else out there with this addiction?

-Frank

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Put the phone down and step away from.... :p just kidding

I'm the opposite in that my threshold is pretty high to install even free apps. I have to have a real need for the app and even then I evaulate it further. I still have at most a dozen apps total installed with only one paid app, Beautiful Widgets which I grabbed during the ten cent deal a while back. I do have a couple apps (Netflix and Directv Sunday Ticket to go) though that are free themselves, but require a paid membership for the services. So, overall they probably cost more than purchasing apps.

Anyway, I'm the same way on my home PC's. I highly limit installed software more so to keep the system attack surface low and keep the system lean and mean performance wise. Which brings me to ask those with a lot of apps on their phone; does overall performance of the phone change the more apps you install? I would guess only if the app starts at boot, otherwise they shouldn't be actively using memory, just storage?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Damn... I'm addicted I guess. I seem to be on a seafood seeapp diet. I see an app and I buy it. :)

Speaking of which... I've just recently bought FlightBoard and FlightTrack. Way cool. FlightBoard shows the real time live flight board at whatever airport you choose. Just like you were standing in front of it at the airport. FlightTrack shows all the detailed information including a map with the planes course (if still enroute). Really very neat apps. They work together, although they can be bought separately. ~$4 each. I find in this Android world the apps are so cheap I can't help myself from paying (rather than using free versions) just to support the authors. Great environment here.

But, I digress... I'm really not trying to get anyone else hooked on this addiction. :D Is there anyone else out there with this addiction?

-Frank

I'm not nearly as bad, although I do find myself perusing the Market (er...Play Store) from time to time just to see what's new out there. If I can say to myself, "I doubt I'd use that very often and can pretty much get the same thing done via web browser (or another app)" then I generally walk away. Totally agree about buying "pro" versions though -- the prices are usually very fair, less than a cup of coffee, and if it's an app I use a lot, I want the advanced features and/or not be bothered by ads...plus as you mention, I also like to support the folks that make apps I like.

SeeApp diet. That's funny. :)

Only one solution... get another job to help finance the app addiction?

Crackberry Kevin?!? Glad to see you here!

I currently own an Android personally, but have been using and supporting BlackBerries professionally since 2004, so I've been a frequent visitor to both sites.

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm always on the prowl for new Apps. Not so much for the games or music stuff, but I'm always looking for Apps that help me be more productive or simplify some task that I'm always gonna be doing. Then I read an article on engadget that showed a way for average Joes like me to create their own Apps using "App Inventor". Well I was highly skeptical as I dont know a figgin thing about java or c++ etc, but I checked it out anyway. Next thing I knew, I was actually working on programming an App. App Inventor allows you to create programming with a drag-and-drop style functionality that doesn't require that you know how to code in any language. You do need to be familiar with some basic logic concepts used in programming (stuff I learned in the 70's learning basic).

Anyway, you guys should check out App Inventor, if I can be a programmer, we can all be programmers.

I needed the App because I offer Cash-for-Gold service in my store, and I was tired running to the computer to look up the trading price, then open an excel spreadsheet to do some data entry every time someone wanted to sell their broken necklace. I looked for an app in the play store, and found a few, but they were cumbersome and didn't do exactly what I wanted. So I created an App that allows me to determine what the gold jewelry is worth in a just a couple seconds. Then I realized this would also be great for helping the consumer determine how much their jewelry is worth before taking it to a pawn shop, instead of just accepting what they say as fact. And as it turns out, I found a simple method to actually upload your App to the Google play store for sale.

No ones gonna get rich doing this, but its fun, and kinda cool. I've made a few bucks on the App which doesn't suck, but really its about creating exactly what you want.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, you guys should check out App Inventor, if I can be a programmer, we can all be programmers.
Thanks! This app sounds great! I'll definitely take a look. Uh-oh, here I go again :)

Do you have a link for this app. I can't tell where it is on Google Play, if there at all.

-Frank

Last edited:

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
App Inventor isnt an App itself. Its a web platform hosted by MIT that will allow anyone with a google ID, the ability to log in and start creating apps. You can then download, use and share your app. Or if inclined there are ways to modify and upload your App to the play store.

beta.appinventor.mit.edu

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you have any visual basic background, Basic4Android is much more robust. I haven't tried the new AppInventor environment but the old Google based one was waaay too slow. I spent more time fiddling with puzzle pieces than actual code logic.

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
True, I'm sure the drag and drop puzzle piece interface won't suffice for any trained programmer. But the whole point is that anyone can program an App with App Inventor. So instead burning holes in your pocket buying Apps, you can invest some time and create exactly what you want for FREE.

App Inventor is FREE! Not so much with basic4android.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
App Inventor isnt an App itself. Its a web platform hosted by MIT that will allow anyone with a google ID, the ability to log in and start creating apps. You can then download, use and share your app. Or if inclined there are ways to modify and upload your App to the play store.

beta.appinventor.mit.edu
Yeah, got it now. Checked it out already. I see it's a cloud-based Java Control Panel development platform. Gotta learn how to use it. Got the Tutorial too. Thanks. This will be fun!

-Frank

Last edited: