Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dropbox, Airdroid, or Google drive?

I haven't used Google drove yet but I do have the others. Which do you prefer?

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

Default Re: Dropbox, Airdroid, or Google drive?

I like drive. I set it up yesterday and it's working very well. I already have 20gb on Picasa and I use amazon cloud player for my music so all I need is a few gb for docs.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Drive drive drive i moved everthing over from box and dropbox. having all my stuff under one login is a giant plus for me
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

I'm a dropbox guy. I don't want my photos on picasa. I want everything in one place.

One thing all these services need to offer is selective syncing.
    There are certain folders on my home desktop that may need to sync with work, but not my personal laptop. Only way to avoid this is to have two separate accounts but that seemed like too much a PITA so dropbox syncs every file with every machine so I deleted it from my work computer.

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

SUGARSYNC.

They have had 5GB free for a long time. You can sync folders a bit more independently. It does photo and video sync.

I have a couple of Android folders synced from my Thunderbolt to my tablet to my home and to my work PC. A couple of work folders synced between work and home. Any photos I take can be seen on any other device.

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?r...areEvent=73499
    Thanked by:
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    SUGARSYNC.

They have had 5GB free for a long time. You can sync folders a bit more independently. It does photo and video sync.

I have a couple of Android folders synced from my Thunderbolt to my tablet to my home and to my work PC. A couple of work folders synced between work and home. Any photos I take can be seen on any other device.
    Thanks...may give it a shot, of course after I have 8gb or so in referrals from dropbox lol.....
    Like I just want specific files from work like my timesheets synced to a folder at home.
    I don't need all my other DB folders showing up at work....

So sugarsync isn't drag and drop into a main folder?
    You choose which folders to sync?

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    I'm a dropbox guy. I don't want my photos on picasa. I want everything in one place.

There are certain folders on my home desktop that may need to sync with work, but not my personal laptop. Only way to avoid this is to have two separate accounts but that seemed like too much a PITA so dropbox syncs every file with every machine so I deleted it from my work computer.
    the drive client does offer selective folder syncing and it works well from my testing. However those folders have to be within your Google drive folder.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    the drive client does offer selective folder syncing and it works well from my testing.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    to different machines though?

I'll continue to use Dropbox until Google Drive Android app can allow me to choose what directory I would like to upload my file to. I like to keep everything organized.
    Navigating though directories are faster using DropBox as well on my device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

to different machines though?
    Yes.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    926 Global Posts

Thanks...may give it a shot, of course after I have 8gb or so in referrals from dropbox lol.....
    Like I just want specific files from work like my timesheets synced to a folder at home.
    I don't need all my other DB folders showing up at work....

So sugarsync isn't drag and drop into a main folder?
    You choose which folders to sync?
    That is why I don't use DropBox. DropBox appeared to just lump everything into one folder.

With Sugarsync you don't move any folders. You just mark them on your PC to be synced. They show up on the other PC as a mirror image.
    On the Android, any folder you sync appears under a 'My Sugarsync Folders' on the SD card. Not a problem for me. Additionally, you can sync independent folders from the Android into their 'Magic Folder' . The Magic Folder supports drag and drop much like DropBox.

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?r...areEvent=73499

if you right click on the dropbox icon in the app tray in windows you can go to "preferences..." and then the "advanced" tab and then select "selective sync" and there you can choose which folders within the dropbox folder you want to sync to your machine. I believe the folder has to be within the dropbox folder on your machine tho

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJoe View Post
    I haven't used Google drove yet but I do have the others. Which do you prefer?
    It is important to realize that these various cloud storage solutions have different capabilities and are designed for different purposes. They are more than just storage.

Google Drive/Google Docs and MS Skydrive, for instance, have the ability to CREATE Microsoft Office format documents ON-LINE. This eliminates the need to have a MS Office compatible application or program on your local device. More than just storage.

Then there is the syncing aspects. Some of these are designed with a slant toward computer office use with the ability to "access" your files via a smartphone. Google Drive and MS Skydrive feel this way to me. Then, others seem more designed toward use on your phone, using smartphone programs installed on your device, with the autosync to the cloud drive afterward. So they are programed to be more "user friendly" for use that way.

Virtually all of 'em can be "made" to do about the same thing as far as simply holding your data. But some are more well suited for use one way than another.

I have Dropbox, Google Docs/Google Drive, Box, and MS Skydrive. For use with a smarphone "slant" I find Dropbox to be the absolute best (and most expensive per GB).

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    CO Diver likes this.

I'm still a local storage luddite, mainly because I don't fully trust putting anything in the cloud. (adjusting tinfoil hat ). I'd also rather not have to rely on a network connection for access to stored items, despite reliable LTE and grandfathered unlimited data. Hey, I still struggle to use any serious space on the SD card! /not a typical user LOL

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I'm still a local storage luddite, mainly because I don't fully trust putting anything in the cloud. (adjusting tinfoil hat ). I'd also rather not have to rely on a network connection for access to stored items, despite reliable LTE and grandfathered unlimited data. Hey, I still struggle to use any serious space on the SD card! /not a typical user LOL
    Yeah, being an IT guy, I can feel it. However, it seems the real advantage of cloud storage is not the storage, it's the access from anywhere. I don't mean anywhere you carry your phone. I mean anywhere. Even without the phone or your laptop or your desktop (go to FedEx/Kinkos! Use someone else's PC!). That's the real selling point. Yes, security is sacrificed, somewhat. Any time you lose absolute physical control of your data you lose some security. Facts of life.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Yeah, being an IT guy, I can feel it. However, it seems the real advantage of cloud storage is not the storage, it's the access from anywhere. I don't mean anywhere you carry your phone. I mean anywhere. Even without the phone or your laptop or your desktop (go to FedEx/Kinkos! Use someone else's PC!). That's the real selling point. Yes, security is sacrificed, somewhat. Any time you lose absolute physical control of your data you lose some security. Facts of life.

-Frank
    I agree cloud storage is very convenient, but that can come at a cost to your security. Case in point, I never use an un-trusted device (ex. someone else's PC) to access my data. You just don't know whether or not that device is compromised since it's not in your control. That's actually one of the reasons I got a smartphone, so I can access my data from a trusted device. But I still try to reduce my risk by limiting what is stored outside my control. Thus the only cloud type service I use is Gmail, but not as a storage medium, rather a transfer one in that I don't permanently store my e-mail there, only use it as temporary storage until it's pulled down by my home PC (via Outlook through secured POP3). In the meantime I can access it on my smartphone. It's a win-win for security and convenience! Then since Google doesn't delete your mail off their servers like most e-mail providers do once you pull it down (they put it in the trash), about once a week I log into Gmail via a browser and empty the trash (the app on the phone for some reason doesn't allow you to do this).

Obviously, I'm a bit of a security nut or what I like to call a healthy paranoia balancing security and convenience (always leaning toward the former).
    defcon999 likes this.

ROM
    Xenon HD JellyBean

Started using Drive today and so far so good, I'm also a dropbox user. But I have to admit my 64GB flash drive is my best friend.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jd07bos View Post
    Started using Drive today and so far so good, I'm also a dropbox user. But I have to admit my 64GB flash drive is my best friend.
    Until it dies

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Why either or? Absolutely use both or all 3. The idea is lots of storage for free. More the more better!

Quote Originally Posted by jd07bos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    Until it dies
    Good point. That's why you should have a good back up routine (smartphone or computer) whether that's to some type of cloud storage or local (ex. my backups go to my NAS - Network Attached Storage that has mirrored hard drives).

ROM
    Xenon HD JellyBean

I do have backups on multiple devices but plug and play is FASTER

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

I am using both right now also. Been a dropbox user now for a while, and I gotta say, I havent used a usb drive since! and dont miss it 1 bit! One of the most used and depended on Apps I have next to google maps.

CNET had a recent article pointing out the differences in the terms of service agreements that are used by these three cloud storage solutions. If the CNET article is correct, I would be very careful of using Google Drive because of their terms. According to the article by Rafe Needleman, Google claims a worldwide license to use and modify any material stored on Drive. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to link to the article in the forum, but a simple search will bring it up for you. I'm also not a lawyer, but the contrast between the three terms of service seem pretty significant. Perhaps I'm just paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by mman609 View Post
    CNET had a recent article pointing out the differences in the terms of service agreements that are used by these three cloud storage solutions. If the CNET article is correct, I would be very careful of using Google Drive because of their terms. According to the article by Rafe Needleman, Google claims a worldwide license to use and modify any material stored on Drive. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to link to the article in the forum, but a simple search will bring it up for you. I'm also not a lawyer, but the contrast between the three terms of service seem pretty significant. Perhaps I'm just paranoid.
    Actually if you compare dropbox and google drive's TOS they are both pretty similar in terms of questionable privacy:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/25/29...dropbox-icloud

ROM
    The ROM of the day...LOL

My rule of thumb is that if you don't mind someone seeing your pictures or files, then use a Cloud. I use BOX and Dropbox. I only store pictures there. I would never store anything personal (SSN, Birth Certificates, sensitive documents). I know they are suppsedly secure and blah blah.....yeah, that is what banks say and then you get an email saying "someone broke into our system".

I have a 1TB external drive to back up everything. If I know I am going to need a particular file, I will throw it on my thumbdrive and take it with me...heck, I will throw it on my TBolt. The problem with that is unless you encrypt it and you lose the drive, whatever is on there is available to anyone. Best bet is to get one of the USB drives that you put on your keychain.

I am old school. I come from the APPLE IIc era and the PC Jr.....I am not as trusting to the cloud as the youth are today.
    With this RAZR, I get a close shave
    My Blog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast