Possibly switching phones, need some help.

cclifft

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I've been using my TB for almost a year now, got it back in July (2011), and for what it is, it's a decent phone, but it has it's issues as we all know. Right now, the only problem(s) I have are that when someone calls, they sound like a robot, very very tinny sounding, and not sure why? Also, it seems that whenever I need to use my phone for the internet, it almost never fails that it will not connect to the cell radio. Works like a champ when I am at home on my wifi, and for the most part, when I'm out and about, but it's just murphy's law that when I need it, it doesn't want to work, kind of annoying. As for the voice thing, been doing that ever since I upgraded to the lastest GB release. I'm not rooted or anything, although I have thought about it several times in hopes that it would fix my problems, but not sure.

My question is, if I were to buy another phone on say ebay that is "unlocked" could I just swap sim cards or something and start using that phone, or take it in to Verizon (the new phone) and just activate it and start using it. I'm just not sure if I can hold out until July of 2013 for any upgrade. I'm tired of waiting for Verizon and HTC to push out ICS, which I'm sure will fix some problems and make new ones, as it does for any phone, but I am just really thinking about moving on from the TB. It seems like it should be a fantastic phone, and I am just out of patience dealing with it.

Basically, how does the whole getting a new unlocked phone work. I don't want to waste 100-200 bucks and then have a brick. Granted I am taking my chances on ebay, and perhaps I should look around here, but I think I am just tired of "defending" my phone and just need to find one that works. (fruitless journey on that one, but still, no more patience)

Ideas? Help?

a22shady

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure about other phones, But if you buy a verizon phone and it's a clean ISN or clean phone that has not been stolen you can go online to your my verizon and switch the phone right on the computer. If you don't know how or cant figure it out you can go to the store but then you might get charged a small fee for them to do it.

If you a rooted phone I would try a differnt ROM. If your still on a stock Phone I would completly wipe the phone and Jusy install the latest update. There are occasional problems whem updates come out and go over top the old ones.

Personally with buying a new phone I would just wait untill something is out thats worth getting. Right now there is nothing out that is really that much better than the Tbolt. I would wait for the quad core 4Glte phones to hit other than that its such a miunte upgrade I would save the money. The HTC One X I will bet they quad core 4G version will soon be out. Only reason it's wasn;t at launch was because Nvidia was still working on the chipset software to work with the 4G

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you could buy any verizon 4glte smartphone, and, assuming it has a clean esn, then all you would need to do is to swap sim cards. Do not buy an unlocked smartphone if it is not Verizon branded and has a clean esn though. If you buy a non 4glte verizon smartphone, then you will have to activate it like any other non 4glte smartphone and would not be simply swapping sim cards.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It HAS to be a branded Verizon phone. You can't activate a non Verizon phone on their network. Call customer care from a landline and have them troubleshoot your phone. Most likely they will send you a replacement and if they don't have a bolt they will offer you an equivalent device.....they HAVE to do this.....

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Jrocker23

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The tin sound is a known issues with some of the tbolts and the internet issue may be internal. Have a VZW store look at it and replace it..

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
It is still under warranty. Why not put Verizon to task trying to fix it before you put money into a NON-warrantied phone that may have issues too.
IMHO, I would start with a factory reset. You'll need to reload everything in a different phone anyway, so you don't have much to lose trying that first.

kcthwun

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing the same my contract ends July of this year but no phone catches my eye yet and I don't wanna update for 2 yrs I've been looking at the droid razr maxx does anyone kno if its worth buying one

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cclifft

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses, I am guessing the phone is still under warranty. Does Verizon offer a standard 1 year, then if so, then I am good on that. I will probably just go in there this weekend and see. It's just annoying to use when everyone sounds like a robot with and echo. I've tried to deal with it, but I just can any more.

And again today, I wanted to look something up online, and I was even on my wifi connection at home (just needed to pull up a ph number off a website) and when it pulled up, i placed the phone down on the table and all of the sudden it just rebooted on me. I saw the white HTC screen and then it just rebooted. Lucky for me I had fast boot enabled, so i could get the number else where and call when the phone booted up, but again, that's just annoying to deal with.

I've liked this phone thus far, and stuck out any problems it's had, but I think I am just tired of dealing and defending it as an android phone now.

I'll see what big red has to say and can do for me.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I went from a tbolt to rezound. Huge.....and I mean huge upgrade. I love the phone and stacked against the one x I feel it is on par because of removable battery and micro sd both of which the one x doesn't have.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine will be a yr old in August. Never have had the problems you are experiencing. Like I previously mentioned call Verizon. Have them troubleshoot. Most likely will send you a replacement

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing the same my contract ends July of this year but no phone catches my eye yet and I don't wanna update for 2 yrs I've been looking at the droid razr maxx does anyone kno if its worth buying one

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The maxx is a great phone. Comparing the two, I always felt the TB had a nicer display.

via Razr MAXX