OTA Downloading now!

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So, after applying the latest OTA update, my phone has drained the battery to the point of shut off both nights (had never done that before, usually would start the night near full charge and wake up somewhere around 80%). Stock everything. Wondering if anyone has found any possibly-related settings changed after the update or anything else that might be related. Thanks.

I had similar issues. Look at what has been using the battery (settings/about phone/battery/battery use) and see where "dialer" is. If the number is high, like over 10% then its eating up the battery. The post on here said that the only way to fix that is to restart the phone. The battery use wont reset until after the next full recharge however. Hope this helps.

TigersFIMA

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Looks like that's what I have shortcutted already. Will take a good look after tonight's on-charger test.

And, thanks too for all the reset-related info. Sure hope I don't end up having to go there.

So, left on charger overnight so that wouldn't shut off. Watched during the day and observed the battery still draining very quickly. If hadn't switched to airplane mode for most of the day, probably would have drained from full charge to empty in no more than 2 to 3 hours.

Battery use indication was the following:

Display 63%
Netflix 10%
Wi-Fi 8%
Cell Standby 7%
Phone Idle 5%
Mobile Recovery 5%
Android OS 2%

At first glance to me, not seeing anything there that I don't think I haven't seen before (though not expert with Android in any way).

Anything look suspicious here?

Do I need to get and use one of the battery monitoring tools to investigate further and, if so, any particular tips on what exactly to be looking for.

Thanks in advance for any more help, as this is getting pretty frustrating. Went from having a really good phone that I liked to a nearly unusable one at this point (presumably after the upgrade - am trying hard to think if there's anything else I might have done around the same time to try to undo and rule out).

tjgriffin

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Before the Gingerbread update, my Thunderbolt would forget the default home app about half the time. GB seemed to fix it. For the last few weeks, the problem has returned. Does anyone out there know for a fact that this is caused by some cache overflowering? That would be my guess, but anyone know for sure? Would this update clear that cache? I am using a default app manager and stock ROM. Thanks!

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
ok, I'm getting the impression that this "update" is causing some issues. especially the posts about the battery life. I'm wondering if it's worth downloading this update at all? anyone out there NOT having problems after this update????

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
ok, I'm getting the impression that this "update" is causing some issues. especially the posts about the battery life. I'm wondering if it's worth downloading this update at all? anyone out there NOT having problems after this update????

Me. I haven't noticed any differences, except for change in location info when on WiFi. Browser MIGHT be faster. Sense crashes less frequent, but they weren't an issue really, anyway.

Reactions: johnriii

quarter2five

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Me. I haven't had any problems. And the only improvement I noticed is the volume. My BOLT is louder

Reactions: johnriii

TigersFIMA

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Would agree with the rest. Seems like I'm the only one with significant change in battery after this. Have undone the other thing changed last weekend, uninstalled the DiskUsage app, but still having the problem after that. So, at this point, still seems update related, but apparently not a widespread issue.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Hand up. No negatives here at all. BIG positive - not being randomly dropped off Wifi by my router anymore. Other than that, no change.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess I got the forced update overnight. I usually wait to see if there are any issues before I accept it.

phone software status: Thunderbolt 2.11.605.19 710RD

I have noticed no issues.

jdrum62

May 17, 2012
Visit site
*** Issue resolved. It just took a lot of rebooting and getting rid of the Download Manager service from running to get it going.

I'm having the same issue as this user, but the fix that he has tried hasn't worked for me yet. I still have the issue where it wants to download the update, but it shows 0 KB and it fails. Verizon support says that I need to factory reset the phone, but I'm hoping there are other ways to go about this. Any other suggestions?

Thanks. Was going to give it a try. Since last eve all I got was fail msg. tried just now once again before trying to clear download manager and it must have done it on its own. instead of trying to update with an empty download this time it went right to downloading actual file and now is in progress.
Thank you just the same because the info you provided was what I was looking for, and good to know if if happens again:D

Last edited:

Mongo80

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Been so long since I originally rooted my TB. I found a rooted GB ROM (GB 2.11.605.9) online that stopped those pesky auto OTA updates and have really enjoyed it. Looks like putting the OTA back on is not a good idea, however I still need to ask.... Will doing this new OTA (.19) put my TB back to unrooted? Is there a newer rooted GB ROM available out there. If so how does one get it? (Guess I'll need to relearn how to root etc... all over again. Getting old sucks!)

Last edited:

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Been so long since I originally rooted my TB. I found a rooted GB ROM (GB 2.11.605.9) online that stopped those pesky auto OTA updates and have really enjoyed it. Looks like putting the OTA back on is not a good idea, however I still need to ask.... Will doing this new OTA (.19) put my TB back to unrooted? Is there a newer rooted GB ROM available out there. If so how does one get it? (Guess I'll need to relearn how to root etc... all over again. Getting old sucks!)

You sound like me....always want to get the latest of everything. I was tempted to UNROOT my phone in order to get this update. But, then reading through all the posts, it just doesn't seem to give me the "wow" factor that a whole new OS (ICS) would do. If you check BAMF's website or Infected Eternity's site, or better yet...XDA, you will probably get your questions answered about new ROMS with the latest software.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I want to go back. My 3g data connection is back to having to toggle airplane mode or restart after being on wifi. I miss being able to choose browsers on the fly. No improvements I can see, just minor but really annoying bugs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge