OTA Downloading now!

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I installed it liast night and haven't noticed any difference. I suppose that is good since it did not break anything...or so it seems. I just deleted all the extra bookmarks that I don't need from the stock browser (Bing, really?). Now, we just need ICS. Let's hope it appears soon.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Was hoping it would have my phone charge fully to 100%. So where do I go from here? I can only charge to 86-88% that's about 3800-4000mv. My battery use shortcut. Never reset I charge everyday. It is showing over 6days in use and we all know Thunderbolt can't last that long on a single charge. Not even razr maxx. Can I get some help/ recommendations? Please...

There are better experts than I here, but I do know that it's the battery that reports % of charge to the phone. Try a different battery and you should be able to charge to 100%. Perhaps take that battery out for the purposes of this test will make it charge back up properly ...

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I installed it liast night and haven't noticed any difference. I suppose that is good since it did not break anything...or so it seems. I just deleted all the extra bookmarks that I don't need from the stock browser (Bing, really?). Now, we just need ICS. Let's hope it appears soon.

Have you tried clearing the data for the power management? Usually after a update the device looses its data for battery status before the update.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I do find the battery to be better (so far). By this point in the day I am usually at like 82 - 85% and i am still at 91%. It didnt seem to lose as much right up front after I unplug as it used to.

Chiefmcfuz

Jun 28, 2010
www.manhattanreefs.com
*EDIT; fixed.*

wow, this thing will not let me use dolphin as the default browser anymore! I've cleared the default and set dolphin as the default and still it only opens the stock browser and never even asks which browser I want to use! anyone else find a fix to this?
Menu settings applications
App associations. Web urls. Select dolphin.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Just had my first forced reboot. First time it's happened in the 6 months I've had the phone.
Coincidence? I think not.

I'm going with a conspiracy between Big Red and HTC to convince us to upgrade to new phones.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

^Interesting... i'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this is food for thought.

I've been running this software build since flashing the full RUU April 20 and have not noticed any difference in battery life.

^The RUU leak wasn't the entire .19 OTA. Check the size of each file... RUU is about 25MB and .19 is about 61MB. I was told that the RUU is "just the radios" of .19 OTA. Perhaps the RUU doesn't provide an increase in battery performance.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
You could try clearing data in the Download Manager app per this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-forums/129232-update-failed.html#post1366461

Thanks. Was going to give it a try. Since last eve all I got was fail msg. tried just now once again before trying to clear download manager and it must have done it on its own. instead of trying to update with an empty download this time it went right to downloading actual file and now is in progress.
Thank you just the same because the info you provided was what I was looking for, and good to know if if happens again:D

dachillfx

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
There are better experts than I here, but I do know that it's the battery that reports % of charge to the phone. Try a different battery and you should be able to charge to 100%. Perhaps take that battery out for the purposes of this test will make it charge back up properly ...
Thanks for replying. I have tried many batteries for months now. Both rezound and thunderbolt standard and extended batteries, sedio 1600mah,and an after market 3500mah extended. That's a lot of money...Any other suggestions or directions will be pleasantly appreciated. Thanks...

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replying. I have tried many batteries for months now. Both rezound and thunderbolt standard and extended batteries, sedio 1600mah,and an after market 3500mah extended. That's a lot of money...Any other suggestions or directions will be pleasantly appreciated. Thanks...

I wasn't suggesting you buy another battery. I was suggesting you TRY another battery. Since the battery you mentioned was not the stock, I assumed you still HAVE the stock battery.

Just so I'm clear, you're saying you have tried all these other batteries and not one of them will charge up to 100%? Well then that is definitely a problem above my pay grade, as they say. I've never heard is such a thing. Sorry!

Sent from my magnificent HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
^The RUU leak wasn't the entire .19 OTA. Check the size of each file... RUU is about 25MB and .19 is about 61MB. I was told that the RUU is "just the radios" of .19 OTA. Perhaps the RUU doesn't provide an increase in battery performance.

Actually, the RUU was 448Mb. You are probably looking in the root section where people pull the radios out of the RUUs for rooted users. The full RUU and the OTA are the same thing, the difference is that an RUU is the complete operating system with the updates already applied. An OTA is just the required updates that are applied to the existing phone. That is why when you install an RUU it wipes your phone but an OTA does not. If there was anything different in the OTA from the RUU it would have had a different version number. We saw that a few times last year prior to the Gingerbread release. I installed 2 or 3 RUUs that never became the official release.

Reactions: anon(394005)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I do find the battery to be better (so far). By this point in the day I am usually at like 82 - 85% and i am still at 91%. It didnt seem to lose as much right up front after I unplug as it used to.

It did seem like there was a slight improvement at first, especially when in standby, but it settled back into the same battery life as before. So it was probably a placebo effect. Either way, I'm not complaining as my battery life has been very good since the Gingerbread updates. May be ICS will bring a bit more battery life (hopefully no major bugs though). I wouldn't expect much though as battery draw is probably much more dependent on the hardware at this point than any software tweaks.

dachillfx

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting you buy another battery. I was suggesting you TRY another battery. Since the battery you mentioned was not the stock, I assumed you still HAVE the stock battery. That is correct. Sucks to be me huh..Thanks anyway. Hopefully the rest of the thunderbolt Fam can help...

Just so I'm clear, you're saying you have tried all these other batteries and not one of them will charge up to 100%? Well then that is definitely a problem above my pay grade, as they say. I've never heard is such a thing. Sorry!

Sent from my magnificent HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Was hoping it would have my phone charge fully to 100%. So where do I go from here? I can only charge to 86-88% that's about 3800-4000mv. My battery use shortcut. Never reset I charge everyday. It is showing over 6days in use and we all know Thunderbolt can't last that long on a single charge. Not even razr maxx. Can I get some help/ recommendations? Please...

You could try a master (factory) reset although my guess is that it's not a software issue, but hardware. As such, it's basically a process of elimination as it could be the wall charger, cable, battery or phone. Doesn't sound like it's the battery if it does the same thing with other batteries. So I'd try another cable or wall charger. Or check the ends of the existing cable, do they fit securely into the charger and phone? If they're loose, they may not be making enough contact to get the proper voltage and amperage through to fully charge the battery. If that's the case, try carefully crimping the ends just a bit with pliers to tighten up the connection.

Otherwise, you could always use an external multi-function battery charger (link below). This is what I use to keep my five batteries charged (two 1400mAh standard, two 1620mAh standard Rezound, one 2750mAh extended), rarely use the phone itself anymore.

Amazon.com: Seidio HTC ThunderBolt and myTouch 4G Multi-Function Battery Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

In the end, if it is the phone, it may be under warranty yet which you can contact Verizon for a replacement. :)

dachillfx

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
You could try a master (factory) reset although my guess is that it's not a software issue, but hardware. As such, it's basically a process of elimination as it could be the wall charger, cable, battery or phone. Doesn't sound like it's the battery if it does the same thing with other batteries. So I'd try another cable or wall charger. Or check the ends of the existing cable, do they fit securely into the charger and phone? If they're loose, they may not be making enough contact to get the proper voltage and amperage through to fully charge the battery. If that's the case, try carefully crimping the ends just a bit with pliers to tighten up the connection.

Otherwise, you could always use an external multi-function battery charger (link below). This is what I use to keep my five batteries charged (two 1400mAh standard, two 1620mAh standard Rezound, one 2750mAh extended), rarely use the phone itself anymore.

Amazon.com: Seidio HTC ThunderBolt and myTouch 4G Multi-Function Battery Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

In the end, if it is the phone, it may be under warranty yet which you can contact Verizon for a replacement. :)
Thanks. I have the official HTC charging dock and seidio charging dock as well. When charging battery in dock it turns green representing fully charged. Put in phone and it would power up at 83-87%. Docks also charge phone as well but never see green light. Hate to master reset, afraid of losing apps that have been removed from Market. I have some pretty good ones that have been removed but still work well for the bolt. How do I back up or save app? I have checked and they cannot be moved to sd. Can anyone tell me how? Obviously the battery stats are completely off. Reason I say is my battery use in about phone is reading 7days 19hrs. We know thunderbolt can never last that long on single charge. Thanks to all that have tried to help.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I have the official HTC charging dock and seidio charging dock as well. When charging battery in dock it turns green representing fully charged. Put in phone and it would power up at 83-87%. Docks also charge phone as well but never see green light. Hate to master reset, afraid of losing apps that have been removed from Market. I have some pretty good ones that have been removed but still work well for the bolt. How do I back up or save app? I have checked and they cannot be moved to sd. Can anyone tell me how? Obviously the battery stats are completely off. Reason I say is my battery use in about phone is reading 7days 19hrs. We know thunderbolt can never last that long on single charge. Thanks to all that have tried to help.

Ok, so the batteries are already being charged externally (not in the phone itself). Then it sounds like the phone has a problem reading the proper charge level on the battery, not to mention reading the proper uptime. In that case, your only options are a master (factory) reset to try to eliminate a software issue. If still a problem after that it's a hardware issue that requires a replacement phone.

As far as backing up apps, I think you have to be rooted and then use something like Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro.

dachillfx

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so the batteries are already being charged externally (not in the phone itself). Then it sounds like the phone has a problem reading the proper charge level on the battery, not to mention reading the proper uptime. In that case, your only options are a master (factory) reset to try to eliminate a software issue. If still a problem after that it's a hardware issue that requires a replacement phone.

As far as backing up apps, I think you have to be rooted and then use something like Titanium Backup or My Backup Pro.
K thanks. I'm fighting myself with master reset. I know I will lose apps that are banished from Market. Gotta sleep on it. I know the 15% battery I am losing would do device good.I'm on the fence. Thanks... Appreciative for your feedback...

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Been running the update since Thursday afternoon. I have not noticed any significant differences. Location information seems to behave a little differently (especially when I have WiFi on or off), but I will wait to see if that settles down after a few days - after each previous update, location was a little wonky for several days, and I have been spending a lot of time in a 3G/4G fringe area this week.

I have found that my home WiFi router still won't let me through sometimes. It is not dropping the signal, but won't let me through to the internet. It is an older Buffalo router, and seems to be the only place this happens. Cycling WiFi off and back on clears it up.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084