Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Google maps links

This is because of the Apple patent lawsuits. This feature and any similar features (opening up calendar links, YouTube links, etc.) were removed because they "infringed" on an Apple patent. This protected them and all other HTC products from being banned from sale. So no, there is no fix to this.
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherSN92 View Post
    This is because of the Apple patent lawsuits. This feature and any similar features (opening up calendar links, YouTube links, etc.) were removed because they "infringed" on an Apple patent. This protected them and all other HTC products from being banned from sale. So no, there is no fix to this.
    So you're telling me if I want that feature back I have to root/rom or get another phone... that makes me want to scream. Thank you I really appreciate your response.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar77 View Post
    So you're telling me if I want that feature back I have to root/rom or get another phone... that makes me want to scream. Thank you I really appreciate your response.
    Pretty much. I mean, I honestly don't know if other phones have the feature baked it, but you're obviously free to look around. If it's between that small feature and no being able to sell your devices, I'd take selling the devices if I were HTC!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

From my fellow android users I have talked to since this became a problem, this is only an HTC issue. I confirmed this with an LG, two Motorola Razr Maxx's, and a Motorola Droid X.

You can get the functionality back by flashing the previous version (2.11.605.9) RUU. It does not require root to do, although you may want to in order to block OTA's. See my post below for more info.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post1874971

Re: this only being an HTC issue:

I'm afraid this is not true; I have a Moto Droid 2 and am having the same problem. I used to be able to work out a route in Google Maps on my PC - one of my own design; not the standard - send that to my phone, then click the link and navigate. Now only the destination address is clickable, and the result comes up in the browser - not Maps.

Very disappointed.
    Last edited by qwertygogo; 07-04-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: quoted wrong post
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by qwertygogo View Post
    Re: this only being an HTC issue:

I'm afraid this is not true; I have a Moto Droid 2 and am having the same problem. I used to be able to work out a route in Google Maps on my PC - one of my own design; not the standard - send that to my phone, then click the link and navigate. Now only the destination address is clickable, and the result comes up in the browser - not Maps.

Very disappointed.
    That's very unfortunate to hear. It makes me sick to think they have removed features from something I already paid for.

Lame times a million. I hate apple. There's no way around this? C'mon smart people.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kirkiscool View Post
    Lame times a million. I hate apple. There's no way around this? C'mon smart people.
    Not since we have a patent system that allows control over concepts.

It's a good thing the patent on concepts is recent, or no two automobiles would have the same type of steering mechanism, is all I'm saying...

Exactly. Mercedes to Ford: but our car has round wheels and runs on gasoline. Lawsuit!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I have also been very frustrated by this problem. I have semi fixed the problem by downloading different web browsers. Firefox works great if the address link is a google one. If you are in firefox web browser with a google address link all you have to do in hold touch and hold the link for a few seconds and you will get the option to open it with the google app. If you have a non google link i use the google chrome browser where you then touch and hold the address for a few seconds and you will get the option to copy the text. then you can paste that text into google maps( a couple more clicks than it should be but better than the google maps web browser!!) i am going to keep playing with it and see if i can find one browser that does it all.

Hi,

I have a similar problem, not exactly the same but can't find anything that is more specific.
    I have an HTC One and just updated to Android 4.2.2, and HTC Sense 5 about 1 week ago.

I realized that when I go to contacts and I tap on an address of a contact, noting happens.
    Normally a dialogue box appears with the question weather I'd like to open Google maps or web browser etc. but in this case nothing happens.

I've tried it with several contacts and several different addresses but nothing.
    I have reset my apps functions: settings - apps - reset app preferences
    I have reset my phone....
    But it doesn't seem to help.

However other functions such as Whatsapp do link fine.

Anybody any idea?

The work around I found is to create a map in Google Maps Classic then save it. You can then open it in Google Maps in Android.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12