Google maps links

casbar77

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks,

I grabbed the latest update yesterday, and it reset some of my default apps. Well that's no big deal, but what I can't figure out is how to make Google maps links open in Google maps and not in the browser. Anyone know what to do?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They royally messed this up. Calendar invites in gmail also open in the browser instead of in, ya know, the friggin calendar.

It's all because they added a new menu under Settings -> Applications -> App associations. The option causing the problem is "Web URLs". There's no option for URLs other than to open them in a browser. No more map links opening in Google Maps, calendar invites opening in the calendar, etc.

Makes you wonder if some of Google's Android developers even use Android daily? :'(

casbar77

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried to fix this by clearing the browser cache and defaults, but no go. Anyone have any ideas?

paulrhirdler

May 15, 2012
Visit site
After installing the update, I kept getting an error message saying Maps had "stopped working" with a little window giving me a Report or Force Close. I tried several reboots to see if I could coax this update to actually work, reported it and uninstalled it. That got Maps working again, but I think I went back several versions (I'm getting beta "permissions" windows). :(

casbar77

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Still fiddling with this. As of now maps.google.com links still open in the browser instead of Google maps. I did try changing browser settings, but there is no appropriate setting for maps URLs.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Also, the 3D navigation feature for driving is gone. Only 2D navigation is available now. What gives?

It is about time.

3D maps suck IMHO. I have yet to see anyone pick up a paper map, then view it from the edge, to give that 'cute' but worthless 3D look. 2D gives you more realistic map detail and I prefer it over the 'cute' but worthless 3D.

melaza77

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue after Verizon sent the update. I guess this is what they want as now they offer the navigation from VZ navigator and they charge you 4 bucks a month for that service.....

I'm really tired of them, and I'm about to move to any other carrier that doesn't charge you or restrict you on the normal features of your phone, like the hotspot that they remove fro, the Thunderbolt....

Hermann

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue after Verizon sent the update. I guess this is what they want as now they offer the navigation from VZ navigator and they charge you 4 bucks a month for that service.....

They have always charged for VZ navigator and Google Navigation has always been free. Nothing has changed.
Just use free Google Nav.

tcorkum

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So what i have noticed is that every time I use navigation it asks me to choose Google or VZW and even when I check always use Google it has been coming up with the option every time.

anyone else see this?

casbar77

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
So what i have noticed is that every time I use navigation it asks me to choose Google or VZW and even when I check always use Google it has been coming up with the option every time.

anyone else see this?

I have noticed this, but as I've noted I have been reseting my defaults quite often the last few days which can cause this. I just checked it, and it seems to have finally stuck. In case you didn't know, whenever Verizon pushes an update to VZ nav it will reset your default navigation preference, and therefore ask you.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I use Google navigation all the time. It's Ben asking me to choose google or verizon almost every time I use it. It usually asks whenever google updates it. But since the last update its been doing it alot. I've tried uninstalling all google maps updates and then reinstalling, didn't change anything. Also the "screen dimming" between instructions has never worked.

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I expect a lot of people are seeing the default to Google Navigation disappear. Sometimes it sticks, but many times not. I came here looking for a solution, but it seems nobody has found it yet :( . Maybe with the ICS release this will be fixed.

And another sort of related thing... when plugging into my car mount, 'bolt only goes into car mode reliably if there is no power to the mount. This is from a couple of updates ago. Has anyone found any workaround for this (other to unplug the car mount before plugging in the phone)?

Nicole Kinsler

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I was recently searching and found the answer that worked for my T Mobile HTC 1S!!!

GO TO SETTINGS:
DOWN TO "APP ASSOCIATIONS":
CLICK "MAP ADDRESSES":
AND SELECT "MAPS" INSTEAD OF INTERNET!

This solved the problem for me which i used all the time!! hope this helps someone!!

casbar77

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I was recently searching and found the answer that worked for my T Mobile HTC 1S!!!

GO TO SETTINGS:
DOWN TO "APP ASSOCIATIONS":
CLICK "MAP ADDRESSES":
AND SELECT "MAPS" INSTEAD OF INTERNET!

This solved the problem for me which i used all the time!! hope this helps someone!!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just checked it, and it's set to maps.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
mine was also set to maps. Atleast once a day it asks which app to use maps/navigator and every once in a while the disclaimer that you see when you first turn on maps shows up?

casbar77

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
mine was also set to maps. Atleast once a day it asks which app to use maps/navigator and every once in a while the disclaimer that you see when you first turn on maps shows up?

Yeah, I have that same experience. In a previous post I said that it had settled down, but I was very wrong. It's still a daily problem.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
just got a map update, we'll see if it's fixed or not. Still not seeing my friends profile pics in latitude. Haven't tried navigation yet.

casbar77

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok I've had enough. I'm going to do a factory reset to see if that fixes it. Any words of warning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol