How to know if my TBolt is dying?

Wytnite

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking that my Thunderbold is on it's last legs but I'm not do for a new phone for 6 months.

First, in the past week my battery-life has be abysmal. Even with the extended battery and no usage it dies in less than 5 hours. Not two weeks ago I could go an entire day on a charge.

Secondly, the far right buttons (o, p, l, m and <delete>) are not working.

For full disclosure I did drop the phone onto my hardwood floor Sunday causing the battery cover and battery to pop off....and, no, this wasn't my first drop. :-\

Are these problems symptomatic of hard use, the recent software upgrade, or is there a reset I need to do?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I assume the phone is stock?

If so I'd do a hard reset if you don't mind resetting you phone/apps up again and losing game progress.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
It could also be the battery is dying, how long did you have the batter for?

I'm wondering if this is what's going on with mine. I got my 'bolt in April 2011, bought 2 extra batteries, but don't 'regularly' rotate them. It's stock.
I've been thinking that after a year, maybe the batteries just aren't holding their charge as long.

mman609

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
When my batteries have died in my phones, they usually fade away slowly -- gradually holding charges for less and less time. Failing in a two week window would seem more like a catastrophic failure of some sort.

Have you tried something like the Watchdog app to see if one of your apps hasn't gone rogue on you? While the drop may be the cause of your problems, it might just be a coincidence and you've got something else going on that is suddenly causing a major drain. I've had a few apps that suddenly cross over to the dark side after months of being problem free.

Wytnite

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried all of the above and restored the phone to factory setting and still have a dead zone in the very bottom right of the touch screen (in portrait mode). I've had this phone for 18 months.

As far as the battery drain is concerned, the stock battery lasts about 2 hours with minimal use. I have an extended battery (purchased through Android Central) which has been a workhorse until recently. Where once I could go an entire on a charge, this morning it dropped 1/4 in one hour. So four hours with the extended battery is better than the stock battery, but a noteable depreciation in performance in the past few weeks.

I'm in that dead zone between the expiration of the phone warranty and contracty renewal. :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36