Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kentrol72
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Issue that is baffling verizon...need some help with.

Sunday morning my phone was working just fine then in the afternoon and currently my phone can only receive texts and I can use data. I can't call out, receive calls, or send any texts. Did probably 20 restarts and 20 battery pulls. Took phone to Verizon store they did more restarts and battery pulls finally did a hard reset still nothing worked. Put in a new sim card and still nothing. They called tech support and they are currently working on it and say they've never seen anything like this. Still at this time I can use data and receive texts. Does anyone have any more thoughts on what I can possibly do to the phone or what I can say to tech support to get a new phone. They are trying to tell me it is some sort of network issue and not a phone issue, which doesn't make much sense.

Default Re: Issue that is baffling verizon...need some help with.

It's not the phone..its a network issue. They have to fix it on their end
    oldstyle00 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thats what they said, but they have been through everything as far as they told me and everything looks fine. They just keep saying they have never seen this before usually its the other way around.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

then its time for them to swap it out as a manufacturing defect and give you a replacement.

weird. my phone worked fine till Sunday also. Since sunday, no 3G/LTE/DATA. Only way get data is by using wifi. BTW I am in Northern Westchester NY, NE chance same area?

It is the network but unfortunately that can take time. I would ask if there is a loaner phone or if this is your only phone they need to accommodate you. Good luck

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ggrr-Nope I am in Iowa.

Jude-I will ask them if they have a loaner for me because its getting kinda frustrating the only way I can get ahold of ppl is through facebook (which works on my phone) or skype.

A loaner phone may not work in this situation. If it is indeed a network error(an example would be the phone number gets stuck in the switch where it can't talk to the network) then the network/IT team would have to reset everything which can take a bit of time sometimes. I have actually had that happen before when someone had a T-Bolt and it took a couple days to fix. I'm sure they'll take care of it given time but I have seen instances of something similar before.

Hope this helps

ROM
    N/A

There are only four distinct areas in which all problems can originate: Account provisioning (a.k.a. your phone's permissions), network issues, device malfunctions, and user error.

The standard way to deduce is to first determine location of issue. If issue happens in various locations (i.e. under different towers), and not in an isolated location, then it is NOT a network issue. Yes, in the event of a nationwide outage, the entire USA is considered the isolated location.

Secondly, a Verizon Tech Support rep (store reps will not have the tools or knowledge to properly investigate) will have to check the provisioning set up on your account, and make sure the provisioning is correctly relayed to the towers. Your account provisioning are the set of permissions used to determine the services to which you require access. The example would be if you have a 3G phone, you should not have 4G provisioning.

Thirdly, your device would then be investigated to determine if there is a software, firmware, or hardware malfunction. Please note that when I say software, I mean that as in a software bug resulting from a recent OTA update from HTC. The apps you install causing malfunction fall under the last category...

User error. I think you all can use some common sense here. If you do something to the phone, knowingly or not, that causes the malfunction. The most common user errors are app-related, but Google is trying to remedy this with recent updates to the Google Play Store.

Now I do not expect every Verizon Wireless rep to know this process subconsciously, but I hope that everyone here knowing this deduction process can use it to help a Verizon rep help you better.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Cool Re: Issue that is baffling verizon...need some help with.

In Settings, Wireless & networks is Mobile Network box checked?

Tap Mobile networks, Is data roaming set to Allow access for all trips?

Is Network Mode set to LTE/CFMA?

In Access Point Names is Internet filled in?

Is Enable always-on mobile data box checked?
    VZW HTC Thunderbolt

Just out of curiosity, do you have Google Voice installed? I had the same issue (I think, it's been a while) and Google Voice was the issue. Or make sure you don't have call forwarding or something similar enabled. Either ask the reps or check online.

How did you fix your issue relating to google voice?

I had to remove it from my phone, go into GV settings online and disable, then have the VZW reps remove call forwarding from my account and force their system to update 2 or 3 times. It actually took about 36 hours to update on their end and finally work itself out.