Thunderbolt randomly drops all service

mhussey

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
So, I have noticed lately that when I am using my phone, that all of the sudden, it randomly drops all service. Meaning no 4G, 3G, or even 1X. Then, the service comes back after a couple seconds. I have very good 4G service in my area as well as 3G, but it consistently doing this now.

Normally, when opening Facebook, it drops out in the length of time (a long time at that) for my feed to appear.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had that happen with every phone I've owned. Been going on all day today as a matter of fact. There are lots of variables besides your phone. Your location relative to towers, system issues, atmospheric interfere etc...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

paulinbna

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been having this problem for about two months now. It is not my location as it was happening in Hilton Head Island, Savannah and Charleston. Also in two parts of Nashville TN
I also noticed that if I put it on 3G only it holds 3G. As soon as I put it on 4G LTE it goes to nothing then 1X then 3G for a little while then goes to 4G.

lou1210

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have it too. It happens on sense roms and aosp roms. I just go in an re-enable data and it seems ok. Can't figure out what's causing it.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have also been having this issue, and it happens frequently when I travel into Oakland/Berkley area, a few miles from my home. GPS will not work almost 90% of the time lately, either.

mhussey

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like I am not the only one. Not sure if it is relevant, but when opening Facebook, it takes forever. When opening, it switches a lot, and Facebook takes a while too. However, I feel that could be a mix of the Facebook app plus the phone.

I would call Verizon, but I really do not feel like messing with them.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I just started having LTE briefly drop in and out this morning (only LTE, voice still present). This has rarely happened in the past, but I just started using the mobile hotspot for extended periods due to our home DSL service being out (since last Friday). So the phone has been powered up for extended periods with the extended battery and occasionally plugged into power to keep it charged. Prior to that, I normally swap out a standard Thunderbolt or Rezound battery approx. every 30-40 hours. So I shutdown the phone, pulled the battery and SIM for about five minutes and it's been fine since powering back up.

Bottom line: try a power down, battery and SIM pull to reset the phone and see if that helps. :)

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
tried that, no luck. phone service works fine, but data doesn't and GPS can't locate me beyond 1800m or something. it's really annoying. i even flashed BAMF Forever 1.11 from 1.09 for the new kernel/ROM combo and it hasn't improved.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like I am not the only one. Not sure if it is relevant, but when opening Facebook, it takes forever. When opening, it switches a lot, and Facebook takes a while too. However, I feel that could be a mix of the Facebook app plus the phone.

I would call Verizon, but I really do not feel like messing with them.

I have also been having this signal issue, sometimes it doesn't come back unless I restart the phone. I've tried toggling mobile data, toggling airplane mode, even using the Network app (app store) to turn off the radio or switch to 3g only, still happens. Although once it catches a 3G signal, it is reliable again. Seems to only happen when I'm in an area with intermittent 4G. I'm in Santa Cruz (Bay Area, CA), and when I go up into the redwoods service gets spotty with any phone/provider.

Also, Facebook takes forever to load if I haven't opened the app in a few hours.

bpyazel

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Been having this problem the last three days here in Iowa. 4g has always been reliable until just recently. At random times all data disconnects and reconnects every few seconds over and over for several minutes. Pretty sure it's on Verizon's end here.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

dizlmonsta

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Been having this problem the last three days here in Iowa. 4g has always been reliable until just recently. At random times all data disconnects and reconnects every few seconds over and over for several minutes. Pretty sure it's on Verizon's end here.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

seeing a lot of reports about this issue in multiple forums now, but nobody seems to have a clue as to what is causing it or why.

i can tell you i've changed my rom, kernel, and updated the radio to 605.9 and am still having problems. seems to work fine at home although once in a while 4G just completely drops. but when i head through the tunnel to Berkeley/Oakland, i'm lucky if i get 1X or any data at all.

GPS seems affected as well. it's hit or miss (usually miss)

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's the network? Anyone spoken to anyone on the same network with a different phone?

Solouniqro

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Solouniqro said:
So, I have noticed lately that when I am using my phone, that all of the sudden, it randomly drops all service. Meaning no 4G, 3G, or even 1X. Then, the service comes back after a couple seconds. It's really not that great of service either. I live in Centre,AL and it's mostly lake, woods, and country so I do not have very good 4G service in my area. I recently spoke with tech support, and they put my Thunderbolt on 3G service only because it constantly searches for 4G, and this causes dropped calls. It is consistently doing this still.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Last edited:

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, mine has been doing that also, Mpls, MN. It's all the new areas they are getting up and running, lots of pre-testing of the network etc. Sad thing is, I finally got my wife to switch from Sprint to VZW, she LOVES that 4G on her Razr Maxx is actually 4G. But a couple days after she got it, this started happening. My son has a Dinc, and isn't having this problem, it's all the new 4G areas, but at least it's not like before (so far) where we would just not have 4G for a few days after they opened the new markets until they got the network figured out again. It's frustrating, but I'll take a few seconds of service break over a few days...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's the network? Anyone spoken to anyone on the same network with a different phone?

I believe it is the network. I am having similar problems on my Rezound starting a few days ago. Other forums reporting it too.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm having network issues as well. Intermittent drop offs from 4G...been happening for about a week now.

r007

1337 Member
May 23, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt was doing this too about two months ago: it would drop 4G and then never reconnect to anything. And, if I set my phone to only do 3G, I would have no problems.

My Thunderbolt is still under warranty, so I called up Verizon and they had me do a factory restore on my phone (to verify it was not a software issue), looked into network issues (found none), and concluded it was my phone.

They sent me a refurbished Thunderbolt (Looks brand new) and I have not had a problem since.

It "seems" like it could be hardware issue... But, it is hard to tell for sure

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm having network issues as well. Intermittent drop offs from 4G...been happening for about a week now.

Same here. Thought it was related to turning on the mobile hotspot earlier this week (due to home Internet being down), but it's still happening every once in a while even though I've now disabled that feature on my account and haven't used it for days. It always recovers on its own, so I stopped worrying about it and stopped trying to do anything to fix it (ex. cycling mobile data or airplane mode or power down, battery and SIM card pull). :)

While it's possible for some that it could be the phone (or SIM), logic would dictate that with so many reporting the same issue (in other areas of the forum), it's the network! Still having growing pains as they turn up more areas. Hey, at least the network hasn't gone completely down as it has in the past. Patience young padawans, patience. :)

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here, I think it started happened 1-2 months ago. It seems to work fine after hitting the network toggle back on, but it's a pain to do all the time.

mhussey

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Mine will intermittently just drop from 4g or 3g to nothing. I notice this when opening an app like Facebook or my college app. It is very aggravating. VZW sent me a new SIM card. Should be on my door step when I get home.

I may do a factory reset as well to see if that helps.