Navigator . GPS

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok another newbieish question... Is there a free gps or navigator available or do I have to purchase the vzw navigator if I want that feature available on my TB?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Use Google Navigation. It should be pre-loaded on the phone. Works great in conjunction with Google Maps.

Thunderbolt Ho!

Last edited:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Do not buy Verizon Navigator unless you like someone to have their hand in your pocket pulling out money.
Free Google navigation is good. The Google POI search is going to be really hard to beat. You can also get FREE apps or some pay one time apps (like CoPilot) that put the maps on your memory card navigation where there is no cell signal.

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I see Google maps on my phone, but not Google Navigation. I don't see it in the market either - only a book for Google navigation app???

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
It is just called navigation - a blue arrowhead / triangle / star trek insignia pointing up. Just find someplace in google maps pick directions and it will ask you if you want to use navigation, or you can start out in Navigation.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Since I started using navigation in Google Maps I haven't used my Tom Tom. And the traffic feature has helped me avoid traffic jams and construction zones on numerous occasions.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I realize I have tried to use that before but never got it to work. It takes me to a settings page for location services. I'm assuming I need to have all 3 settings checked? Vzw, Google, and 3rd party?

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You need to at least have Google checked, and probably VZW. I have all three enabled. In Google Maps, tap on the upper left of the screen, and "Navigation" is one of the choices in the pull-down menu.

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
It had vzw and Google checked and it didn't work. But once I checked the third one, then it did. Thanks everyone.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The 3rd one is the actual GPS in the phone, and is the most important one...GPS eats your battery. I usually toggle it on and off when I use navigation, so don't leave it on all the time and then be surprised when your phone is warm and low on battery. The toggle widget is good for this.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The 3rd one is the actual GPS in the phone, and is the most important one...GPS eats your battery. I usually toggle it on and off when I use navigation, so don't leave it on all the time and then be surprised when your phone is warm and low on battery. The toggle widget is good for this.

It only runs if there's an app actively using it. Sounds like something is probably using the gps in the background or there's some other issue.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I have never turned mine off.

I DO however make sure that any app that uses the GPS hardware is shut off when I'm done.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok another newbieish question... Is there a free gps or navigator available or do I have to purchase the vzw navigator if I want that feature available on my TB?

I use Goodle Maps/Navigation. But recently I just discovered "WAZE". It can give your directions as well as traffic, accidents, traffic cams, police alerts. It is all user provided information which I find is more accurate than the California Highway Patrol.

It is also like a game, you earn points the more you drive....I have yet to figure out what I win, other than unlocking some things and getting to brag. It will also put your "point" acheivement on the map. You can even Chat with other users close by. ......and it is FREE!. Also, you can choose between a Female (Sammantha) voice or a guy (Tom) to help you navigate. THey are less robotic sounding than Google's lady voice.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
It only runs if there's an app actively using it. Sounds like something is probably using the gps in the background or there's some other issue.

You would be (or maybe wouldn't be) surprised at how many apps look to check your location. I find it best to just turn it off when I am not using it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois