Thunderbolt not connecting 3G or 4G

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Checked online, but couldn't find any definitive results.

I just recently flashed my phone back to stock, after having purchased a separate phone while I tried fixing the thunderbolt. I went to return the other today, and the retailer Reactivated my TB. He noticed it wasn't connecting to either 3G or 4G and didn't know why. He said to just wait it out and try a battery pull. I was going to go back in today, but the store closes at six O' clock. And I'm afraid that this is a problem that is residual from it's earlier issues (boot loop, stuck at HTC white screen) .

Mobile Networks is on, and Network mode is set to LTE/CDMA. I tried turning Airplane Mode on and off to restart it. I tried rebooting, battery pull. I don't know what to do. It's officially unrooted as of the stock flash yesterday, so I'm thinking about going into a Verizon support center and just putting on my 'clueless school girl' face (although, I'd rather not).

Anything helps, thanks in advance.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
This Is actually about the fourth separate post on this same issue. I had same problem. I had to do factory reset. You can do a search on first few pages. Posted as no data, or no 3G 4G.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
since the last update to my phone i have had same issue from time to time. i usually notice it when i go into apps that pull data, facebook, instagram, ect. then i go back out of them an radio turns back on. sometimes when i go back into app it stays on sometimes it doesnt.

i havent found any fixes, my bolt has had some wear an tear, i might go cash in my insurance an get a refurb or whatever they will give me. lately its been a headache.

loupitschmann

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with my rooted Tbolt. I got a refurb from Verizon even though I was out of warranty.
I unrooted using the unroot tool I got from this website. As soon as I unrooted I had a data connection again.
Everything else I tried including the factory reset, battery, SIM pulling, airplane mode didn't work.
I hope you can get your phone straightened out.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have heard through the Verrizon reps that with the launch of the GS3 the 4g is spotty...but then again, that was over a week ago.

I am having 4g issues also.....also WiFi also at home, but nothing to get upset about...more annoying.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Suddenly mine has been very sluggish. Over 5 minutes to boot up. restart and still not responding like it should. Battery pull and remove SIM card. Called tech support. Did another factory reset. The network has been down and sporadic too. They have decided to send me a replacement

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Suddenly mine has been very sluggish. Over 5 minutes to boot up. restart and still not responding like it should. Battery pull and remove SIM card. Called tech support. Did another factory reset. The network has been down and sporadic too. They have decided to send me a replacement

Jude....going to root this one?......LOLOLOLOLOL. I think most of us are on our 2nd or 3rd TBolts. I know I am....mine wasn't due to mfg. problems....mine is due to user carelessness and dropping it.

My daughter set a new record.....got a replacement phone less than a month ago.....dropped it yesterday....shattered screen.....she paid for it this time.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This is my second tbolt, it was doing just this. I tried different radios and nothing. Called tech support and they are sending me out another.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Could be nothing but I unrooted last night and put stock Rom on, haven't lost 4g all day like it was doing. Again likely nothing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Jude....going to root this one?......LOLOLOLOLOL. I think most of us are on our 2nd or 3rd TBolts. I know I am....mine wasn't due to mfg. problems....mine is due to user carelessness and dropping it.

My daughter set a new record.....got a replacement phone less than a month ago.....dropped it yesterday....shattered screen.....she paid for it this time.

no not going to root it. am hoping it will be ok. time will tell! made it to almost 1 year.... would love not to have a replacement :)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
sorry about your daughter's phone. good to have her pay for it....holds her accountable

i am very careful. looks new still!

gymgal1951

May 13, 2012
Visit site
same here, soft reset did it for me. Had major connection issues today, until reset.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

abomb78

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I live in Orlando, FL and have noticed since last Thursday that I am only getting 3G. Tried battery pull, no change. I figurred it was prob just some issues in the area, but it has not come back on, at least for me on my TB. I tried looking online to see if there has been any mention of 4G outages, but all come back with pages earlier in the year. ; (

Reactions: HPBolt

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been like this for the past 1-2 weeks. Over the weekend I was in the Hamptons and had 1X or no data most of the time. Back here in PA it was mainly 3G and 1X, though I normally always have 4G. Currently, I only have 1X..... Stock phone since day 1 mind you.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The first (and easiest) thing to try is a battery-and-SIM pull if you haven't done it already.

Pull the back cover off, remove the battery, then slide the little SIM drawer down at the bottom of the phone upward so the SIM comes out of its port. No need to actually remove the SIM from the drawer. Leave it like this for about a half hour or so.

I don't know if (or why) removing the SIM seems to make a difference since the phone is powered down, but I've had 1-hour battery pulls make no difference and 1/2-hour battery-and-SIM pulls help. Could be coincidence, but it's so incredibly easy to slide the SIM drawer open that I just do it.

I don't have to do this often, but it seems to help if I'm really struggling with connectivity.

On occasion, I've seen this change the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) which makes the phone more aware of new towers and such. Currently I'm on PRL 15130 (Settings, About Phone, Software Information).

Note that there are instructions on Verizon's site for forcing a new PRL to your phone, but I do not believe it works on 4G phones.

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I just ran across this, somebody posted on XDA. I think I'll give the modem tweak a shot.

HTC Thunderbolt Radios Collection/##778 Radio/Modem Tweak

I tried the modem tweak last night because when our family was out my wife and kids all had data and I did not. I've had periods of no data (30 seconds to 1 minute) and it's been really frustrating. Yesterday was so bad I was sure VZW had intermittent outages.

Probably placebo effect but my TB seems to be holding data better at my office (notorious for bad VZW data signal).

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried the modem tweak last night because when our family was out my wife and kids all had data and I did not. I've had periods of no data (30 seconds to 1 minute) and it's been really frustrating. Yesterday was so bad I was sure VZW had intermittent outages.

Probably placebo effect but my TB seems to be holding data better at my office (notorious for bad VZW data signal).
I agree. It might be wishful thinking, but my connection did seem better after doing this, especially with Facebook and Foursquare (although still some small connection glitches)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463