HTC stock email app issue

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I check my work exchange email using the stock mail app and am really getting annoyed with one particular feature. Whenever I open the app, it shows all messages in my inbox AND deleted folder in one continuous stream with no indication of which are in the inbox and which are deleted. I go through the app menu to view just the inbox, but as soon as I, say, delete a message it goes right back to showing me all messages in my inbox and deleted folder. I've looked in the settings and can't seem to find a way to set it to only show the inbox by default. Any suggestions?

dewwit

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine just stopped "sending" mail this weekend, from both my Comcast and gmail accounts. I can receive, but not send. Went through both account settings several times, and both say they cannot connect to server.

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
IMAP or POP3?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

How can I tell? I'm not familiar with the difference, but I always thought POP3 was web-based email, like Yahoo or hotmail. Does it make a difference? This seems like an app issue, not a mail issue, but again, I'm not all that familiar.

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
When you set up your email on your phone, the server address probably had pop or imap some where in it. Gmail is capable of both imap and pop3. Imap is more robust and your phone pretty much mirrors your setup online and whatever you do on your phone happens to the mailbox on the actual server. So if you delete it on the phone or creat a new folder or rule on your phone the same thing happens on the server. The disadvantage of imap is that it's a little harder to keep track of everything and easier to screw things up from your phone. Pop3 provides less immediate control but is easier to use.
I'm sure someone else here can provide a clearer or more accurate description of the two types of service. Your email provider also likely has descriptions of both through Help online.

xs11e

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
One thing we can all agree on, the stock android email application totally sucks! There are other email apps available but they don't suck any less.

If you want decent email you have to get a BlackBerry or a Windows phone, I cannot see any reason Android can't provide a usable email client but I suppose it's not a priority?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Having had different Blackberrys for about 3 years I can tell you it's a toss up. I don't miss my Blackberry's email. I do think RIM has better contact management. Unfortunately RIM, Google and Microsoft (Outlook) do not integrate well together without a lot of work.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I use stock HTC email app for my Yahoo account and have no problems. Not sure if the cause of the problem is stemming from which email you use on your phone, or if it's the phone itself. One thing i can think of that is phone related is in the settings. Open the email app, go to Menu > More > Settings > Send & Receive. The only folder i have checked on the list is "inbox." If this doesn't solve the problem, log into your email via the web and look around in the options for something like "mobile settings." Hope this helps.

Last edited: