4g going on and off a lot

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently left to go vacation to California am which I am in now. All this time here my 4g goes on and off constantly. I'm not sure of its the area because he has been happening all over California la, Irvine etc. Is this an issue in California or most likely a phone issue. The phone just randomly drops data everywhere. This phone also is a refurbished phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you in a 4G area? I live in Palmdale CA and we get 4G here and there due to testing. But if your losing 3G also then its probly your phone.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Take the battery out and also the SUM card for a couple minutes. Put back on turn on and let it cycle through. Its good to do this. Doesn't matter that its a refurbished phone. Mine is and its fine....you could dodo set it to CDMA only and keep on 3 g. Still will work well in 3g mode. I do know there have been network issues in. AZ. Possibly in CA too. Can always call verizon from a landline and troubleshoot your phone. They will also tell you like I have to remove the battery and SIM card.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I recently left to go vacation to California am which I am in now. All this time here my 4g goes on and off constantly. I'm not sure of its the area because he has been happening all over California la, Irvine etc. Is this an issue in California or most likely a phone issue. The phone just randomly drops data everywhere. This phone also is a refurbished phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

My office is near Irvine, and I have the same problem. Much worse down in Newport, but pretty bad most everywhere i drive in OC. This seems to have started a couple of months ago.

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Same here and with my gfs phone as well. It's obviously something on verizons side or a combination of both sides. Verizon won't admit there's a problem, they'll just send a new phone or sim card instead.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't watched it terribly carefully, but it seems like I'm having more trouble than usual keeping a 4G lock (we have a repeater at work that only repeats the frequencies Verizon uses for 3G, so it's hard to be sure, but it seems like it's been falling back to 3G more often the last couple of days).

On the flipside, I've been locking into 4G towers from closer to home lately, so maybe Big Red is planning on a 4G expansion in my area? Hard to say - according to OpenSignalMaps it's actually existing 4G towers near work that I've been locking to, and the signal is very transient.

But Big Red may be planning some significant expansions in a few places pretty soon and they're having to play around with LTE, possibly?

We can hope.

More likely they are just suffering growing pains from the massive expansion last week, and are just working through those.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the bay area and it has been on and off for the last month of so. I thought it was my phone being rooted, but my son has the Moto RAZR (100% stock...not rooted) and he is having the same issue.

I refuse to pay more money for less data if I am not getting a consistent product. That would be like going to McDonald's and ordering a cheeseburger and maybe getting a bun sometimes but still paying full price for the burger.

If it was just in the SF Bay area...then I wouldn't complain, but seeing that it seems to be nationwide, then makes me mad!

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Take the battery out and also the SUM card for a couple minutes. Put back on turn on and let it cycle through. Its good to do this. Doesn't matter that its a refurbished phone. Mine is and its fine....you could dodo set it to CDMA only and keep on 3 g. Still will work well in 3g mode. I do know there have been network issues in. AZ. Possibly in CA too. Can always call verizon from a landline and troubleshoot your phone. They will also tell you like I have to remove the battery and SIM card.

Doubt this is going to solve anything. It has been doing this (to me ) for a while. Just got to upgrade and ditch this old brick. :)

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm about two breathes from rooting....I'm actually getting better connectivity on 3G...WTH??? 4G has been spotty for me since the last update, and I'm now getting random reboots about twice a week. Verizon, you guys need to fix this crap rickey-tick!!

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the bay area and it has been on and off for the last month of so. I thought it was my phone being rooted, but my son has the Moto RAZR (100% stock...not rooted) and he is having the same issue.

I refuse to pay more money for less data if I am not getting a consistent product. That would be like going to McDonald's and ordering a cheeseburger and maybe getting a bun sometimes but still paying full price for the burger.

If it was just in the SF Bay area...then I wouldn't complain, but seeing that it seems to be nationwide, then makes me mad!

I am in Hawaii and have been noticing my 4G and 3G dropping for no reason as well. :confused: :mad: :-\ :-! :confused:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
for my time and money, Verizon tech services is a waste. they give the same canned "we're not aware of any problems" response, while we all have a myriad of problems that are very similar. my phone is doing such random crap until it would be difficult for them (techs) to nail down why it's happening. I plan to keep my phone until it's time to upgrade (11 months and counting), but one would think Verizon could be a bit more empathetic towards us loyal (11 years) verizon customers. As has been stated, my 4G is about as unreliable as Sprint's at this point, and I feel they should at least say they are aware of the problem and are working on it. luckily, 3G is firing on all cylinders, which is more than I can say for other posters on this topic.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
All they ever do is tell you to do a system reset. Then if you keep complaining they send you a "refurb" (someone else's screwed up phone). Now if you're "lucky" you get a refurb rezound or a refurb gnex but no matter what phone it is somebody returned it for a reason. Oops, almost forgot you might get a "ticket" whatever that is all it really means is "stall em and they'll give up and go away".

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was finally able to completely satisfy myself that it is NOT my Thunderbolt. I also now have a laptop with a 4G card, supplied by work. My LTE on the TB has been dropping out in the last hour, so I looked at VZ Access Manager for the aircard, and lo and behold, no LTE signal there, either.

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
It seems that every time the "upgrade" my area my 4G goes in and out a lot and a couple days/a week later it is good again.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
All they ever do is tell you to do a system reset. Then if you keep complaining they send you a "refurb" (someone else's screwed up phone). Now if you're "lucky" you get a refurb rezound or a refurb gnex but no matter what phone it is somebody returned it for a reason. Oops, almost forgot you might get a "ticket" whatever that is all it really means is "stall em and they'll give up and go away".

After I had issues with my last refurb, I called them and they offered to send me another phone.......no problem.....but, I specially asked "Do you have BRAND NEW never been used Thunderbolts?". The rep check and said "Yep, we will be sending you one". This is/was Asurion and not Verizon.

So far, the phone has been stable....it still gores from 4g to 3g to nothing still, but, it seems like there are others are still having issues, so, I don't think it is the phone....it sounds like a network issue with Big Red!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It is still good to do. It allows the phone to reboot and cycle through. Being out of state different. Cell towers. Can't use *228 on a cell phone to bring current. So on a smartphone you remove the battery and the SIM for a couple of minutes.

rketek4TB

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Have had this problem since last update back in June. Verizon sent me new sim card ......NADA!
I can receive 4G but cannot reply in 4G. It bounces back as undeliverable. After complaining several times the only thing left for me is to switch to 3G and reply. (WHAT A PITA!).

It is definitely Verizon, because when out of the Chicagoland area and in Valporaiso, IN. or elsewhere I can get it working perfect. I do notice that before 7:00 AM and after 8:00 PM I can get it to work. And I have a verizon tower close by.

I still have my original speed test results and it showed multiple runs of Down at 21 and Up at 15. Now its D 12 and U 6.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Last weekend, at least, 4G was dropping out in Tuscaloosa, AL. Actually, data was dropping out altogether for short periods. I haven't been paying close attention since then, but I haven't noticed any issues that have been obvious.