Very disappointed

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been on my 2nd replacement 3 weeks. I have had internet issues over a month. At home its been 1X for the most part. I have done two factory resets. Have removed the SIM and the battery. Woke up and only charged up to 64%. I have a new charger.
Called tech support. On the phone 45 minutes. There are no known issues in Cave Creek.
What is weird is the jetpack MiFi I have is flawless.....no internet issues. Am typing on my tablet using my jetpack right now! Flawless. They are sending me a like new certified Resound. I hope it will be good. I love my bolt and don't know why having these problems. I can be in town and its OK. But lately at home not always at top performance.
Will have the Resound on Wed.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
the rezound will have better signal. I had several tbolt and they finally sent me a rezound as a warranty replacement because of signal issues. Also, side by side, I had a rezound, a friend has the tbolt, my friend was often stuck on 1x,while I had 4g on numerous occasions.

Reactions: Jude526

rpz3.14

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm more than disappointed with my Thunderbolt. I had a good phone for 8 months, then the micro USB port started to fail (intermittent connection while charging and data transfer). I returned it and they sent out a CLNR Thunderbolt, but the screen was offset so the LED behind the search capacitive button was visible.

I returned that one for another CLNR Thunderbolt, and when I received that one, the screen darkened whenever it was touched. I returned that one, and got another one, where the darkening is worse. I'm now waiting for the last unit I sent back to get there so I can send this one back, too.

At this point, every replacement I get has glaring hardware defects, and I'm really quite annoyed that they got back into a customer's hand when any screening during "reconditioning" would have caught them.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm more than disappointed with my Thunderbolt. I had a good phone for 8 months, then the micro USB port started to fail (intermittent connection while charging and data transfer). I returned it and they sent out a CLNR Thunderbolt, but the screen was offset so the LED behind the search capacitive button was visible.

I returned that one for another CLNR Thunderbolt, and when I received that one, the screen darkened whenever it was touched. I returned that one, and got another one, where the darkening is worse. I'm now waiting for the last unit I sent back to get there so I can send this one back, too.

At this point, every replacement I get has glaring hardware defects, and I'm really quite annoyed that they got back into a customer's hand when any screening during "reconditioning" would have caught them.

Some bean counter somewhere has decided that it is cheaper to fedex (or UPS or whatever) returned phones to the next customer for testing. I suspect they determined that most phones that are returned have no faults, or the next customer will tolerate the faults. So they just keep sending them out.

Sad.
Too bad ATT doesn't have better coverage. I would have an HTC ONE X in my hands right now.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been on my 2nd replacement 3 weeks. I have had internet issues over a month. At home its been 1X for the most part. I have done two factory resets. Have removed the SIM and the battery. Woke up and only charged up to 64%. I have a new charger.
Called tech support. On the phone 45 minutes. There are no known issues in Cave Creek.
What is weird is the jetpack MiFi I have is flawless.....no internet issues. Am typing on my tablet using my jetpack right now! Flawless. They are sending me a like new certified Resound. I hope it will be good. I love my bolt and don't know why having these problems. I can be in town and its OK. But lately at home not always at top performance.
Will have the Resound on Wed.

I was having issues with my replacement TBolt a month ago...only had the replacement for about 2 weeks and it wouldn't lock GPS signals. So, I called them (Asurion) and they where going to send me a replacement...I asked if they had a NEW IN THE BOX, NEVER BEEN used Tbolt......they did.....they sent it to me and had had ZERO problems with it...other than the 4g signal that everyone else is have (even my son on his NEW STOCK RAZR). So, if I have to replace it again, I will ask for another brand of phone all together.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was having issues with my replacement TBolt a month ago...only had the replacement for about 2 weeks and it wouldn't lock GPS signals. So, I called them (Asurion) and they where going to send me a replacement...I asked if they had a NEW IN THE BOX, NEVER BEEN used Tbolt......they did.....they sent it to me and had had ZERO problems with it...other than the 4g signal that everyone else is have (even my son on his NEW STOCK RAZR). So, if I have to replace it again, I will ask for another brand of phone all together.

I donthave ins I have the extended warranty so no out of pocket costs for me But I was told there arent any new. They retired the bolt. Glad Asurion had new for you. If there are issues with the Rezound they told me to call them. Keeping fingers crossed:)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Its bitter sweet because I have loved t his phone. I don't understand why suddenly over the past month have been having issues with it. Verizon says there are no known issues with towers in my area. I had emailed them and asked them to please have someone check out the area. I hope there won't be a problem with the Rezound.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's probably due to the radio software that accompanied the most recent software update. Some love it. Some say it ruined their bolts. I run old radio software since my tbolt is rooted and it runs as well as ever. It's a shame stock users cannot roll back updates to a previous version that may work better on their tbolts.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It's probably due to the radio software that accompanied the most recent software update. Some love it. Some say it ruined their bolts. I run old radio software since my tbolt is rooted and it runs as well as ever. It's a shame stock users cannot roll back updates to a previous version that may work better on their tbolts.

What radio software version are you using? I was able to roll back to the 2.11.605.9 software from Dec. 2011 by flashing the RUU, without needing root access, so I'm on baseband version 1.48.00.0930w_3, 0.01.78.0916w_3 (radio software). Regardless, I'm still occasionally experiencing the data drop issue on this older software just as I was on the latest version 2.11.605.19. Note: the data drop issue started the first week of June, otherwise it was rock solid for me previously regardless of software version the phone was running.

From my experience and reading that it's affecting virtually every Verizon 4G LTE phone in some form or another, it has to be the network. Some phones and their software may deal with the problem better than others and in some cases it could be a problem with the phone itself, but I'm absolutely convinced it's the LTE network or in particular how it authenticates phone's. I strongly believe Android Police nailed it with this article, This Is Why Your Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Or Other 4G LTE VZW Phone) Is Losing Its Data Connection

Now the question is does the fix involve changes to the network AND to phones. If the latter is true, then there should be a forthcoming update to address it (as I've read some rumors to that effect from those who've spoken to tier 2 technical support, taken with a grain of salt of course). No one knows for certain as Verizon is mum on the whole thing. :(

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
On blackberry I could roll back to older software. Can't on android. I am now on my Rezound and knock on wood. So far so good. Verizon told me if there is an issue within 48 hours with internet to call them and they will have a tech check out cave creek. It worked everywhere greatly but at hone this past month. Up to then no issues. Boggles my mind. But am happy so far so we will see

sent from my Rezound

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
What radio software version are you using? I was able to roll back to the 2.11.605.9 software from Dec. 2011 by flashing the RUU, without needing root access, so I'm on baseband version 1.48.00.0930w_3, 0.01.78.0916w_3 (radio software). Regardless, I'm still occasionally experiencing the data drop issue on this older software just as I was on the latest version 2.11.605.19.

Btw, I'm still on 2.11.605.5 and for a looooong time. I felt, if my radio ain't broke, no need to fix it, and avoided any updates to it. I've had solid performance (I'm on bamf too). But since like you mention, around beginning of June, all I've had is on/off/on/off action on data.

This can't be my phone, my wife's tbolt is not rooted, she has the newest radio .19 and also has data issues.

So I agree with you 100% it's the network. Can they hear us now? We should put some national poll together, I want to see them mum about that. Paying for a faulty service.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Tywone

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was the only one with issues. I got my TB last April never had one single problem until a few weeks ago. 4G constantly dropping and barely can get 1X, phone restarts, battery life horrible. It powered down yesterday and didn't come back on for over an hour. I guess I need to give em a call too!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

xs11e

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
On blackberry I could roll back to older software. Can't on android.

Sure you can, just get the correct zip file (XDA Developers is a good source), put it onto your SD Card and boot the phone into recovery mode. It'll find the file, install it and then you must refuse all updates.

That'll work AFAIK for any android phone.

PS, glad you're happy with the Rezound, I looked at it but I'd really miss the kickstand.....

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sure you can, just get the correct zip file (XDA Developers is a good source), put it onto your SD Card and boot the phone into recovery mode. It'll find the file, install it and then you must refuse all updates.

That'll work AFAIK for any android phone.

PS, glad you're happy with the Rezound, I looked at it but I'd really miss the kickstand.....

Never had a BB, but I'm guessing it was easier to roll back. But, you're right you can roll back on Android (without root), at least I was able to on the Thunderbolt as I mentioned above. Of course that process wipes the device as it reloads the entire system from scratch and then the biggest issue is blocking OTA's, which unfortunately requires root to do.

Myself, I also couldn't give up the kickstand, not happening (don't like cases, so kickstand cases are a no go). Also, I've compared the Rezound to the Thunderbolt many, many times and other than the screen, the Thunderbolt always comes away the winner for me and it has much better build quality IMO. If something were to happen to mine (no insurance or extended warranty), I'd go to my local Best Buy (I've checked, they still have em) and get another even at full retail. That's how strongly I feel about this phone. :p

Anyway, I'm really curious how Jude's Rezound is working. Sounds like she had hardware issues with the Thunderbolt as is detailed in this post I found on Droidforums.net and which also has some really interesting points regarding the whole data drop issue:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/218137-why-my-lte-device-dropping-data.html

"Why is my LTE device dropping in data.
1) If the device is not staying connected and constantly dropping data it could be a hardware issue.

Solution: Change out devices. Try doing an exchange and if you still experience constant drops you may need to look at swapping to a different handset all together (ie from Nexus to razr).

2) 4g has been working fine but lately I am getting no connection, mms fails, and sometimes calls will not connect

Solution: Swap out sim cards.

3) My 4g works great but out of no where it drops off for 2 mins.

Solution: It is designed that way. Talked to an engineer and the idea is that if a tower gets congested it switches you to another tower. That momentary swap causes you to momentarily lose data.

But that did not happen before. More and more people are buying lte devices causing more congestion. The idea of switching people from tower to tower is designed so you do not lose data completely or for long periods of time. I am playing with at&t lte and I would rather lose data for 2 mins once or twice a day than 20 mins.

But its happening more than twice a day. Call a tech they may need to reset the provisions in your phone to make sure its locking on to the towers. Also as OEMS learn more about the network they are building better radios and more efficient processors to lessen the time it takes to switch."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx