speed difference

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
this is an open question for almost any section. at the verizon store today. side by side to the samsung s3. did a speed test hitting the same server, S3 got 27mg down mine 5mg.
now i am rooted with, i hope the latest radio. running 1.4 ghz over clocked. running jelly blur v 1.3 ROM.

why was mine so much slower? processor? radio? stock compared to rooted?

Last edited:

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised to hear that. As I just posted in another thread, my Bolt gets way better data speeds than my wife's Nexus. Maybe Sammy finally invested some time into improving their notoriously poor radios? It makes me want to stop by my Verizon store and run a test of my own. By the way, did you check to make sure that they were running the test from the same servers? I learned in my testing that that can definitely impact the results.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Gsiii has a MUCH better radio than the gnex. It blows it away so I'm not too surprised it did better than the bolt. My wife's gsiii crushes my bolt (I'm rooted and overclocked. She is stock and I still have phone envy!)

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has in the past have bad cdma radios, but the GSIII has a good radio. I never got to 30mbps on my TBolt, on my gs3 i have gotten over 60mbps on several occasions, and over 30mbps almost daily.

I'm surprised to hear that. As I just posted in another thread, my Bolt gets way better data speeds than my wife's Nexus. Maybe Sammy finally invested some time into improving their notoriously poor radios? It makes me want to stop by my Verizon store and run a test of my own. By the way, did you check to make sure that they were running the test from the same servers? I learned in my testing that that can definitely impact the results.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has in the past have bad cdma radios, but the GSIII has a good radio. I never got to 30mbps on my TBolt, on my gs3 i have gotten over 60mbps on several occasions, and over 30mbps almost daily.

That's good news. I'm glad to hear that Sammy's made strides.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's good news. I'm glad to hear that Sammy's made strides.

Samsung typically uses their exynos cpu, but the GSIII has the qualcomm snapdragon krait msm8960 dual core processor, with the radios onboard, same as the hox, dinc 4g, evo 4g lte, atrix hd. the rumored razr hd is rumored to have the msm8960 soc as well. The rumored htc 5" 1080 display quad core phone is also rumored to have the qualcomm snapdragon krait s4, similar family tree to the msm8960 soc, but should be better.

Obviously, soc is only one aspect, there is antenna placement, firmware, software, and potentially other things that affect signal.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
ok did another test side by side with a buddy of mine here who has the S3
9.3 dn 2.54 up mine thunder
11.67dn 1.66 up his S3
10.71dn 4.20 up mine thunder
12.91dn 1.50 up his S3

i had better uploads there than his.
now we did a test off of the wireless router
13dn 4up his S3
6dn 2up mine thunder

same server on each test. wifi and 4G

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
this is an open question for almost any section. at the verizon store today. side by side to the samsung s3. did a speed test hitting the same server, S3 got 27mg down mine 5mg.
now i am rooted with, i hope the latest radio. running 1.4 ghz over clocked. running jelly blur v 1.3 ROM.

why was mine so much slower? processor? radio? stock compared to rooted?

A question to consider is, were you using the app on both devices or the website?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there are so many variables that can affect the speeds; the ROM, signal strength/interference, test server used, method of test (app or website), time of day, load on nearby tower, phone's radio efficiency, phone configuration, etc. You really have to do numerous tests while trying to minimize the variables as much as possible and then average them to get a general comparison.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
it was the app, in the store 6 inches from each other and hitting the same server. i understand that there are MANY variables, never said this was a scientific test. just a general observation.
plus i did do the test 3 times side by side.
i also get it could be my ROM. totally understandable. there is a thread in the ROOT section about the same thing and the speeds of the different roms

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there are so many variables that can affect the speeds; the ROM, signal strength/interference, test server used, method of test (app or website), time of day, load on nearby tower, phone's radio efficiency, phone configuration, etc. You really have to do numerous tests while trying to minimize the variables as much as possible and then average them to get a general comparison.

i ran so many speed tests on the tbolt, rezound and gs3 over many days in many locations. as i said before, never once got over 30mbps on my tbolt, gs3 and rez have seen over 60mbps down and see pretty regularly 30mbps plus.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Last year when LTE was first turned on; I used to see over 30Mbps (via the Speed Test app). Now, I can only hit that when on a lower traffic tower (ex. one in a lower populated area). Otherwise, now I average around 15-20Mbps down and 10-15Mbps up. If I use the Speakeasy speed test website that uses Flash though, those numbers almost double (IMO that method isn't as accurate as the app). Anyway, it stands to reason that newer phones would be more efficient in getting better download speeds overall as the LTE hardware is improved and the software tweaked. In the end though, it still can vary based on those variables I previously mentioned. :)